Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

2 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

Going to be interesting to see fans reaction and Bruce's at Lincoln. All those kids wi shirts on he's signed at OITP. Fans asking him not to go etc. 

I can see him doing a Big Ron

He tells everyone at Lincoln he'd be mad to go

Then he leaves on Monday

Actually, I can't see him going, Ashley will not cough up

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Then he leaves on Monday

Actually come to think of it, didn't he say in his 'walk the dog' interview he was taking a team to Stocksbridge so maybe won't be at Lincoln 

35 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

If you’d have told me last week the majority of the fan base would be wanting Bruce out I would never have believed you. Best manager we have had for so so long. Unfortunately now I think the damage has been done and the best thing for everyone is if he left. Gutted it has come to this as I really believe he would have taken us back to the Premiership, Bruce is everything we have wanted for so long in a manager, except loyal it seems. So important we now get the right man in to take us forward, not Bullen or the Steve’s, someone like Bruce to really take us forward. 

at the end of the day, I do believe anyone I see, or have seen kissing a badge is generally a mercenary [with the exception of megson whom I felt was genuine].

having said that how many of us would turn down a job offer that pays us 300/400% more that our present salary? I know I wouldn't.

IF new owners come in and don't like him, or it goes titsup by halloween, he'll get a hefty payoff, and then if he wishes could return to championship football or not.

time to get 'adequate' (taking into account the amount of disruption at this time of the season) compensation, and move onto the next man, hopefully better, not necessarily any more loyal when money speaks. 

5 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Then he leaves on Monday

Agreed

Can see Bruce finding himself in a really awkward position.

DC won't budge Ashley won't budge, both have massive egos and waiting for the other to blink.

The only way for Ashley to save face is to go else where.

36 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Can just imagine DC in negotiations..... "compo goes up £1m every hour you procrastinate....

Tick-tock Michael..... Tick-tock........"

:Chansiri:

To be fair to DC the bloke is prepared to face down angry Owls fans having a drink and arguing the throw

I doubt Mike Ashley is going to come out unscathed 

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, vulva said:

We ought to do that. Remember buying a house once and getting asked for £5k more on the day of exchange. 

Aye happened to me in Bulgaria.

Ended up having to pay 6 grand for me house!!

9 hours ago, Morepork said:

Walking the dogs, thinking about our managerial options once MA agrees to apply the lube and lets DC be top dog for 3 seconds........

I don’t want to dwell on negatives, McClaren would break me, for a very long time. Fortunately, DC wiser than that these days.

Chris Hughton, be like a straight swap, quality appointment, not sure it’s realistic though.

Beyond that, I’d prefer to see us give a chance to someone up and coming. Someone who’d show us a bit more respect and see us for the opportunity we are. One or two options exist in the lower leagues. 

Accepted that anyone with talent and any kind of success here would ultimately be a target for bigger fish. However, 2-3 seasons of growth under an exciting young coach would be a breath of fresh air.

I can understand your point of view but DC is funding the club massively, he needs us to get promoted a.s.a.p. We need a proven manager with Championship promotions on his CV. The ideal manager needs great contacts in the game to get quality loans in for us and a wide knowledge of available players so we can pick up quality cast oiffs on the cheap or free.

It's a tall order I know but we just can't afford to bring in an inexperience guy and take a chance.

3 hours ago, zico.b said:

Come on here for an update after a session yesterday.

Can somebody please summarise?

This is my (beer haze) understanding: -

1. Bruce wants to go, but DC is (quite rightly) holding out for top dollar

2. Bruce took training yesterday at Middlewood Road?!

3. DC made media go to Four Lanes chippy

4. Mike Ashley has decided that Debenhams negotiation was a walk in the park compared with DC

Yes and he lost out at dDebenhams as well.

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

Folk keep quoting Ashley. That is not what I said. I alluded to people in the game who are more or less Bruce's peer group siding with him if they believe he is being deliberately priced out of the move. What Ashley has to pay is a side issue.

Most people in football and in business detest Ashley, he really isn't a nice person. I think there will be many many people hoping we rub his nose in it.

I think this will do the standing of DC and SW nothing but good.

11 minutes ago, prowl said:

Most people in football and in business detest Ashley, he really isn't a nice person. I think there will be many many people hoping we rub his nose in it.

Indeed.  It could help with future transfers, as other clubs will know he doesn't budge...may speed up transfer decisions. 

13 minutes ago, prowl said:

Absolutely. You pay the label price or you f off.

2 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

There is quite a hefty part of me that doesn't like what we are doing. Everybody seems to be jumping on the bandwagon about taking Ashley for everything we can and the chairman's stance but there are two ways to look at this. If you remove your Sheffield Wednesday spectacles, it could be said that Bruce is only choosing to manage at a club with a higher profile in a higher league. Bruce is not like Carlos or Jos in one respect. Bruce is an influential guy in a game that I suspect is full of cliques and circles. 

I don't know for certain but I suspect for obvious reasons that guys like Lampard and Solksjaer (among countless others) will be among Bruce's circle of friends and peers in the game. It may impact on our ability to get the best new manager and future signings if they decide to side with Bruce on this one.

If Bruce is going, which it certainly looks as if he is, it would be better all round in the long run if it were an amicable departure. Trying to price him out of his "dream" move might not be the most expedient thing to do. Agree a reasonable compo package and stick with it could it certainly could cost considerably more later holding out for an extra million or two. The compensation packages being quoted are frankly ridiculous.

I feel you've mis judged this China but it's your opinion 

IMO this is not being mardy and pricing him out it's simply quantifying the absolute horlicks this makes of a pre season and potential search for wholesale replacement of staff 

the signings we've just made must be aggrieved for their part plus would a new manager actually want them  it's a mess and NUFC should pay

i really couldn't care less now about Bruce's feelings he dead to me IF he engaged in this willingly  and tbh i didn't realise that he done this type of thing at a few clubs previously 

I very much doubt it's a money issue for DC   he bent over backwards compassionately allow Bruce to arrive when he wanted  he got the staff he wanted and it's been betrayed   I've no doubt it's a nightmare working for DC but at 2m a year ...tough

2 hours ago, zico.b said:

Would love to have a listen in on Chansiri/Ashley phone call(s).

suspect the discussion is third party representatives   but yes i said a few days ago i'd pay money to listen to this clash  and on this occasion I'm 100% behind DC 

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Dom at Lincoln waiting for the players to arrive. Will Bruce be on the bus with the rest of the lads. I predict he won’t be and will be the 2 Steve’s taking the game :-(

Bruce will be at Stocksbridge instead, less press :Sid: