Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

They're a real odd club - remember looking at their hoads of fans that took over the lepp in 83 thinking this is a massive club, but when we went up to SJP in 91 just before the league cup final there was about 17k in attendance.

Their 'success' in the mid nineties should have propelled them into the top six without a doubt but, like Villa and Everton, they seem to struggle; perhaps with the expectation more than anything.

To be fair nobody can knock their attendances - other than a couple of blips when they were in the second tier in the early 80s and early 90s, their gates have been consistently "massive" and as such they've really underachieved as a club in the last 50 years. They've been one of the top 6 supported clubs in the country for the majority of their existence (yes it's a big city with one club, but still). Their away support is also incredible really, especially considering they have to travel further than most clubs. As you say even when they weren't getting big home gates in the early 80s I remember them bringing huge support to Hillsborough.

Edited by alanharper
typo

Just now, Kanye West said:

Well we have the Lincoln friendly tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what happens if he's not gone today.

Part of me hope's he won't be and he can be quizzed on it tomorrow. 

I think we’ll win the throw and bat first. 

• Haha 1

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

No way on earth DC will allow SB to leave for 1p less than whatever the value is in his contract.

Ashley prob thought he could unsettle Bruce and DC would cave in and settle for less.

Hope you aren't suggesting premier League bully boy tactics driven by the unequal distribution of £s

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

To be fair nobody can knock their attendances - other than a couple of blips when they were in the second tier in the early 80s and early 90s, their gates have been consistently "massive" and as such they've really underachieved as a club in the last 50 years. They've been one of the top 6 supported clubs in the country for the majority of their existence (yes it's a big city with one club, but still) and have really underachieved. Their away support is also incredible really, especially considering they have to travel further than most clubs. As you say even when they weren't getting big home gates in the early 90s I remember them bringing huge support to Hillsborough.

Have lived up there and they take being fanatical about their club to another level...  

Mr. Chansiri is looking to build a dynasty here - despite numerous mistakes and misplaced trust along the way. His loyalty to Carlos and Jos demonstrated that he wants a manager to build something special and he expects everyone to be part of a "family". When he brought Bruce in, he demonstrated patience and was prepared to wait for him - he obviously thought that Bruce was the right man and that he bought into the dream. Bruce must have given him the impression that he wanted to be part of something special.

When he was linked to the Newcastle job he could have come out and said "Very attractive job but I'm at Wednesday for the long-term, we are all in this together and I do not want to leave something I fully buy into. It is not just about the money". He didn't, and the fact that he has even shown an interest in leaving means that he is only in a job (wherever it is) for the money, not the cause. 

No problem with this as it is true of most managers and players - but Mr. Chansiri will see this as a massive slap in the face. Whether he goes or stays, the fact that he even entertained leaving so soon after joining us means he has probably p*ssed on his own chips. 

Let him go if he's not that bothered about staying - but get the biggest compensation possible (I'm sure DC will). The next managerial appointment is key - whether for promotion, dynasty or both - Hughton is the right man for me. He will buy into the long-term and appreciate the loyalty that DC will show him - proven record in this league and won't b*gger off as soon as someone offers to slip him a few quid more.

• Like 2

Chronicle up in Newcastle saying that it's down to compo - still not agreed, and that Newcastle will be heading out to China without a manager in place.

Sounds like DC is really digging in heels in.

And we all know what happens when DC does that.

5 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Chronicle up in Newcastle saying that it's down to compo - still not agreed, and that Newcastle will be heading out to China without a manager in place.

Ashley is quickly realising he would have an easier time trying to deal with Daniel Levy, than DC :Sid:

• Haha 2

Just now, marcx666 said:

Ashley is quickly realising he would have an easier time trying to deal with Daniel Levy, than DC :Sid:

It's also probably the answer as to why Bruce is taking training today.

Business as usual - unless Ashley and his clowns cough up the cash.

Guest wilyfox

Decisions need to be made. I'd hope to hear today one way or the other. DC won't want this dragging on open-ended. 

11 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Well we have the Lincoln friendly tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what happens if he's not gone today.

Part of me hope's he won't be and he can be quizzed on it tomorrow. 

Having gone to the friendly last year, I do hope this is sorted today, as I can't imagine Bruce stood in the manager's area with 2000 pissed up Wednesday fans behind him giving him abuse.

4 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Ashley is quickly realising he would have an easier time trying to deal with Daniel Levy, than DC 

2 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

It's also probably the answer as to why Bruce is taking training today.

Business as usual - unless Ashley and his clowns cough up the cash.

I bet DC is one of those people that doesn't get angry, he just makes you feel like you've really disappointed him. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Decisions need to be made. I'd hope to hear today one way or the other. DC won't want this dragging on open-ended. 

I'm fully expecting Ashley not to pay up the required amount.

And I think we'll get a statement later, from DC, to that effect.

'Bruce is still our manager, Newcastle won't pay the required compo and I'm off to Hollywood bowl - no bumpers'.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Just now, Animis said:

Having gone to the friendly last year, I do hope this is sorted today, as I can't imagine Bruce stood in the manager's area with 2000 pissed up Wednesday fans behind him giving him abuse.

I just hope a little imagination is shown and they throw kebabs rather than cabbages.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

I’m pleased he’s digging his heels in. However if they can’t agree a compo package and Bruce ends up staying I can imagine there will be a lot of unhappy people, Bruce being one of them. Will make for a very nasty atmosphere. Let’s hope this is sorted quickly and Dc gets what he wants.