Josh McEachran

25 minutes ago, deano said:

I do agree with this but at the same time we do have injury prone players in this position, and we don't know the system we will play or where each player will fit into that. 

Are you seriously suggesting that we need to have an inkling of how the manager intends to set us up before leaping to judgement?

Let's not forget - one of Owlstalk's biggest meltdowns in recent years was when it was announced we were signing Barry Bannan.

:duntmatter:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigger Guns said:

Doesn't mean anything. You could stand on the half way line in the centre circle and pass to the wing, about a yard inside the opposition half. If you do that all season you’d be in the top right quartile of that graph. 

To you and me that’s a sideways pass but for the statistician it’s a forward pass over a distance.

Not saying that is or that isn’t what McEachran has done all season but just take it with a pinch of salt.

i haven’t seen much of him to be honest but like others have said he must have something about him to come through Chelsea’s Academy with such promise. He’s also still at a good age where his best years may be ahead of him.

If you did what you say you would be where Tom Carroll is on the graph (top left quartile). The bottom axis is about average pass length.

I am not saying this graph is everything you need to see distance covered in a game regard industry and the number of passes made. He is not a defensive midfield player he is more of a Bannan type whose primary role is to open up defences.

I think every one knows what fans say about players on forums has to be taken with a pinch of salt. many reports are wide of the mark. Brentford had a change of style under new manager and he lost his place as a result.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigger Guns said:

Doesn't mean anything. You could stand on the half way line in the centre circle and pass to the wing, about a yard inside the opposition half. If you do that all season you’d be in the top right quartile of that graph. 

To you and me that’s a sideways pass but for the statistician it’s a forward pass over a distance.

Not saying that is or that isn’t what McEachran has done all season but just take it with a pinch of salt.

i haven’t seen much of him to be honest but like others have said he must have something about him to come through Chelsea’s Academy with such promise. He’s also still at a good age where his best years may be ahead of him.

Evidence eh? Bloody inconvenience.

Bet you're a climate change denier.

:Sid:

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Jonboy27 said:

Until lee breaks down again

So we stockpile players in case that happens? The solution in that scenario is to use an alternative type in that position, not sign clones as a precaution.

What our midfield lacks is drive and physical presence. McEachran brings nothing we don't already have.

You never really know with these kind of players. Undoubtedly talented, but in the end unlikely to be anything more than a squad filler. We need to rely on loans now, and to me I think we can all agree that we won’t be signing Hector. Or Onomah. 

Looks like we’re going to get our house in order. Don’t know if it’s all down to FFP, or if Chansiri is unable to keep the money flow. 

At least we’ve got a top manager, but if he’s going to get us promoted it will be the biggest achievement of his career. 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

We need two types of centre-mid this summer, offensive and defensive. McEachran is neither. When you have Lee & Bannan, you don't need McEachran. This is the sort of thing Carlos would do - and the reason why we ended up with a bloated squad with duplications. Come on Brucie, you're better than that..

Sometimes certain types of players can become available before the type you really need. McEachran is 26, Bannan is touching 30. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Bruce may see him as Bannan’s long term successor plus Bannan could leave pretty soon given our P&S problems. Decent signing for me if we do get him.

For the defensive midfielder I think we’ll still get Cattermole but with the likes of Pelupessy and Hutchinson under contract and unlikely to attract offers from elsewhere then getting a defensive midfielder now might be as difficult as shaking up our forward line for exactly the same reason?

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Sometimes certain types of players can become available before the type you really need. McEachran is 26, Bannan is touching 30. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Bruce may see him as Bannan’s long term successor plus Bannan could leave pretty soon given our P&S problems. Decent signing for me if we do get him.

For the defensive midfielder I think we’ll still get Cattermole but with the likes of Pelupessy and Hutchinson under contract and unlikely to attract offers from elsewhere then getting a defensive midfielder now might be as difficult as shaking up our forward line for exactly the same reason?

How in any way is Mceachran a replacement for Bannan? I would be very surprised if Bruce thought that

1 minute ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Maybe Jos will be in for Joey to help him keep up his 17% game winning percentage at St Pauli. Doubt he would be greatly missed.

Thats my point. But we still have him, do we need somebody else who offers nothing more as well?

Just now, billyblack said:

How in any way is Mceachran a replacement for Bannan? I would be very surprised if Bruce thought that

If you watch some of his you tube videos from his early days at Chelsea, he’s the type of player who can drive a team forward and keep it ticking which is very much what Bannan does for us now but then again I might be wrong. Whatever will be, will be? A bit like with what the Chairman is trying to do to alleviate our P&S problems? :biggrin:

Because of our finances and recent league position finishes, the market we are currently shopping in, imo, means we are limited to:

1) Young players in early to mid 20's that have had a good season or 2 at a lower league but are unknown at championship level, or young players that were once promising at a higher level but have lost their way due to injury or form (or both). 

2) Older players who have been playing at a half decent level but are close to being over the hill and are released. 

3) Unknown quantities from foreign leagues e.g Julian Borner. 

We are seemingly not in a position to buy the next big thing or splash on a player at a good age, in good form and with championship experience, so it should come as no surprise that we are  looking at players like McEachran (once touted as the future of England's Centre mid). We need to be savvy in our dealings and we may have more misses than hits, but at least the players we are getting in more recently are still young and will not command huge wages (and at last we are signing some young pacy wide players).

JM fits the bill for the market we have to shop in at this moment in time. 

Everyone moaning we're light for midfielders, we're linked with a 26 year old midfielder with good ability and pedigree (who probably hasn't had the right manager to take him under his wing in all honesty), it's only a trial, it'd only be a free transfer, and people are complaining, seriously, this fucking club's fans I despair!

11 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Thats my point. But we still have him, do we need somebody else who offers nothing more as well?

No we have signed enough duck eggs in the last 3 years. Wish we could find the 2 million to go for Maddison at PBoro. Brings a bit of pace , good vision and an eye for goal. A player on his way up not down.

11 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If you watch some of his you tube videos from his early days at Chelsea, he’s the type of player who can drive a team forward and keep it ticking which is very much what Bannan does for us now but then again I might be wrong. Whatever will be, will be? A bit like with what the Chairman is trying to do to alleviate our P&S problems? :biggrin:

What will be will be. You are right about that

8 hours ago, Bez said:

From everything I have read here:

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117386&page=147

his career at Brentford has been identical to when we had Darren Potter. 

Calm passer who maintains possession with sideways passes.   The midfield pivot with the occasional worldie thru ball. 

Hated by most fans. 

Release the Crab

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Relax everybody , he is on TRIAL...……...nothing wrong with SB taking a look is there.

Thanks for answering my next question. I thought he was on trial as well

1 hour ago, Quist said:

If you did what you say you would be where Tom Carroll is on the graph (top left quartile). The bottom axis is about average pass length.

I am not saying this graph is everything you need to see distance covered in a game regard industry and the number of passes made. He is not a defensive midfield player he is more of a Bannan type whose primary role is to open up defences.

I think every one knows what fans say about players on forums has to be taken with a pinch of salt. many reports are wide of the mark. Brentford had a change of style under new manager and he lost his place as a result.

I’m assuming the bottom axis is yards/meters? He sits at 22 yards/meters on the axis which is probably about the distance from the centre circle to the wing.