Have we sold our ground

I can never fully welcome selling the ground as you never know how relationships will break down. It was one of the key assets we had to any sale originally and one or two sharks simply wanted the ground then too.

Nonetheless, I do believe DC when he says he would not leave us in a mess if he left and that he is principled. At face value he is undoing a financial issue his ownership created which he didn’t have to do. 

Presumably it would open up some room for continued spending and as long as it was followed by a more sustainable mode of operating with value for money and resale  (as it seems to) then it’s arguably the best option for us if others are doing it.

Another nothing season or worse, a 12 point deduction would be a killer. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Pride Park very sort after industrial area, Hillsborough very deprived area that has had no investment in 30+ years I think we will be lucky to get north of £20m.

Does anyone know how much the Wednesdayite Car park on the opposite side of the road was sold for. Could be a good indication of likely value.

Well wasn’t the land sold so investment can be brought to the area you say has had none for 30 + years ? . 

4 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Well this is from Derbys 20imageproxy.php?img=&key=f675defbb12fa09518 accounts regarding tangible assets and in particular Pride Park. 

Screenshot_20190517-121042_Dropbox.jpg

The 'tangible fixed assets' on a hire-purchase is a nice little touch, another cute move around some of the P&S limitations

It must be a financial bit of gymnastics because who would actually buy Hillsborough when presumably they would be tied into having to keep it as a football ground for a long long time? The rent you will get has to cover the outlay so if it was sold cheap then it would be on the understanding that the rent would be cheap and so on. Must be Chansiri selling it to himself or a company he has set up, as other people have suggested. It's not an uncommon practice to move assets around in that way - just the bizarre world of accounting! 

15 minutes ago, mkowl said:

And a line from that article suggesting we have not filed the accounts with the EFL by 1st December - was not 100% clear it was us - but that I find unbelievable we would risk the wrath of the EFL

I took it that he was referring to Villa, but as you say it wasn't totally clear.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

If Chansiri ran the club properly in the first place they would be no need to sell the ground (assuming that is what is happening).

Where do we go in 3 years time if we are still a mid table Championship club?

I would be very, very uneasy about selling the ground.

I imagine now, we will spend more wisely within the limits having learned from our previous errors (hopefully). This is merely a quick loophole to avoid sanctions from the EFL. 

Maybe this will enable the ground to receive a make over or as others have mentioned, move to a new ground. Who knows.

Guest mkowl

Just to re-iterate this would be to get us out of mess - not be a carte blanche to spend loads in the forthcoming season 

What really worries me about this is that we have been financially mis-managed under Chansiri. Selling a ground would always be a risk but I’d feel like it was a much smaller risk if we hadn’t wasted so much money in recent years.

“EFL to review its rules”

Perhaps they should have considered some of this before implementing such rules, as well as considering the knock on effect these rules have on clubs and fans.

But they completely ignore the fact clubs coming down have a totally unfair advantage (basically rewarded for failure) plus the fact wages/transfers and general costs of running a football club are obscene. They don’t give a sh*t. It’s basically a rule to make them feel all fuzzy inside...demonstrating they’re trying to do something. When really the tough issues they aren’t bothering or too scared to tackle. 

42 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

D taxis now the official owner of the ground. New taxi rank to be set up in megastore car park.WTF:

Just imagine the prices of CabFair

If the match prices was anything to go on :Sid:

Hillsborough to Sheffield town centre 80 quid:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

Would like to see a press conference, true or false, to address this done or future possibility. Transparency needed. Maybe DC, SB, and a financial spokesman in attendance. Note SB as it has to effect what might be available from this sale for team/squad building. Does such a sale stop us talking about the constraints of FFP at every question relating to transfer strategy? One, it needs confirming or not. Two, can the benefits to the club be broken down to the fans. Its some big thing selling the historic ground of the club. And three, does this add to the possibility of future relocation? 

There are so many ifs and buts here that it’s difficult to have an informed opinion. 

In principle, I don’t like the idea of the club and the ground being owned by separate entities but if those entities are owned by the same overall person or persons then the only issue is whether any monies released are acceptable for P&S rules. I thought any sale like this had to be at market value?

Guest mkowl
1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

There are so many ifs and buts here that it’s difficult to have an informed opinion. 

In principle, I don’t like the idea of the club and the ground being owned by separate entities but if those entities are owned by the same overall person or persons then the only issue is whether any monies released are acceptable for P&S rules. I thought any sale like this had to be at market value?

It does 

The EFL will dis-regard any enhanced figures on this as they can for sponsorship

And none of this will generate cash to spend next season

It will be a book entry

Cr Fixed Assets - carrying value in accounts 

Cr Profit on sale - the relevant figure for FFP 

Dr DC loan account - market value

Just now, mkowl said:

It does 

The EFL will dis-regard any enhanced figures on this as they can for sponsorship

And none of this will generate cash to spend next season

It will be a book entry

Cr Fixed Assets - carrying value in accounts 

Cr Profit on sale - the relevant figure for FFP 

Dr DC loan account - market value

So, basically for P&S/FFP purposes it's futile?

As far as im concerned , the EFL have brought all this on themsrlves by stopping teams competing with those armed with pockets full of failure payments. It was obvious teams would have their lawyers looking for loopholes in the rules to enable them to compete on a level playing field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1