Have we sold our ground

An article in todays Times has reported that Sheffield Wednesday and 2 other Championship clubs have sold there grounds,. The article went on to say that a club spokesman said that any new arrangements regarding Hillsborough would be clear in the accounts, which they insisted would be published in the next few weeks.

• Thanks 1

On the face of it i can understand why the ground would need to be sold. End of the day we're in this FFP situation like it or not, and the sale of the ground is a solution to that. But it does make me feel a little but uneasy, i quite liked the thought that Wednesday owning it. I hope some lessons have been learnt in the last 2 - 3 years, better and more intelligent recruitment...because we ain't got another ground to sell. 

In the grand scheme of things Chansiri owns the ground, he is ‘the club’.

And the only way the sale of the ground helps FFP is if he affectively buys it off himself.

I don’t think there’s much to be worrying about realistically. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact this is seemingly becoming more and more common says it all about the fairness of FFP/PS, especially with failure/parachute payments.

When clubs are in a position that they have to sell their grounds to remain within the limits and/or remain competitive, it says it all.

• Thanks 3

Just now, NeonLeon said:

In the grand scheme of things Chansiri owns the ground, he is ‘the club’.

And the only way the sale of the ground helps FFP is if he affectively buys it off himself.

I don’t think there’s much to be worrying about realistically. 

I agree he has probably set up another company, and that company has bought the ground.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Why wouldn’t I be happy about selling the ground we’ve owned for over a hundred years in return for paying the likes of Urby Emanuelson to sit on their arśe.

I think (at the moment anyway) most of us have confidence in SB not repeating those types of signings

In many ways it's just a paper entry to get round P&S with in all probability the money being from the same source as the £ we have spent over the last few years

Derby sold their ground to their owner and now rent it back to his own club!

a wide open loophole in the rules, brilliantly exploited by DC. If we’re in a P&S Mess at say £45M I’d take a stab in the dark that The old girl is valued at about £45,000,001. 

Get spending Mr Bruce 

• Like 1