Have Hooper and Lee done enough ?

If Hooper does not start on Saturday think will definitely be released. Since Leeds game has not been used much.

Lee was behind others and only just made team, looked ok in 10 minutes on pitch in last game but you would think would need to play full game to get any idea. I think he may start against QPR.

Heart says yes. Head says we should release them. Unfortunately if we gave them new contracts I think they would both spend most of the time out injured. Two fantastic players not so long ago but I doubt they will ever be the same again where they can perform that well over a full season. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

That is hideously like me.

Apart from the fact that my head has the more usual dome.

It's a very early "Audition Photo" , taken by Kenny's  agency for a disaster film about miners .. 

The film's working title pre production was called "The Human Pit Prop"

Sadly it never made it  beyond the cutting room floor .....kenneth_williams__72992.1488018291.jpg.f81ec1c80045317696700ba056e0f551.jpg

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

It's a very early "Audition Photo" , taken by Kenny's  agency for a disaster film about miners .. 

The film's working title pre production was called "The Human Pit Prop"

Sadly it never made it  beyond the cutting room floor .....

When I haven't got my hard nosed money head on... I'd have invested heavily in that project.

• Like 1

They're both in the same boat as far as I'm concerned, excellent Championship players but poor injury record that at 30 years old it's just not going to get any better. I'm genuinely sorry but the best I'd do is offer significantly (25%?) reduced wages over pre-season and then a year on that same wage if they come through pre-season unscathed. Unfortunately I think they'd both look elsewhere. For me it's just not worth the gamble. Think I'd let all the out of contracts leave but trust SB more than DC, CC and definitely JL, to make these big calls.

I honestly think the time has come for the club to show we aren't a soft touch when it comes to matters like this.

Thank them for their service, but go with younger options that haven't got the injury track record, and ensure we at least go into next season not having to nurse players.

The club can ill afford passengers in the current predicament, and both would not get through the rigours of another full campaign at the levels we've previously seen them at.

Hooper more so than Lee - a dozen goals a season out of your highest paid striker at this level does not get you promoted. Lee would be worth a deal on reduced terms only.

Edited by WatfordOwl

Can't get money for selling people that are out of contract. In our situation we should be selling some of those we have on contract and offering sensible new deals to those that we know can do a job us without costing us a transfer fee. Any new player of similar quality will need wages too plus a fee so the only real question is their fitness and we have to trust Bruce and the medical team on that.

Lee was moving better on Saturday than he has in years, looked really well. Obviously a tiny amount of time to compare. I hope he starts on Sunday.

Hooper for me depends on anyone wanting to buy Rhodes, Winnall, Joao and/or Nuhiu. We need to ship out 2 or 3 and Hooper with his wages goes into that pool

got to be a cull of the strike force and with hooper being the only one out of contract think he'll be on his way …...if the medics could guarantee that lee was over whatever the problem was that kept him out for so long then i'd give him another year but I doubt that they can so he'll probably have to go as well . 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

got to be a cull of the strike force and with hooper being the only one out of contract think he'll be on his way …...if the medics could guarantee that lee was over whatever the problem was that kept him out for so long then i'd give him another year but I doubt that they can so he'll probably have to go as well . 

As @Sultan_Pepper says above, if we can cull the strikeforce by selling players rather than releasing them for free, then that's got to be the better option if we can manage it.

Given the choice between selling João or letting Hooper walk away for nothing, I'd be tempted to cash in on Joào, to be honest.

7 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

I honestly think the time has come for the club to show we aren't a soft touch when it comes to matters like this.

Thank them for their service, but go with younger options that haven't got the injury track record, and ensure we at least go into next season not having to nurse players.

The club can ill afford passengers in the current predicament, and both would not get through the rigours of another full campaign at the levels we've previously seen them at.

Hooper more so than Lee - a dozen goals a season out of your highest paid striker at this level does not get you promoted. Lee would be worth a deal on reduced terms only.

Regrettably I’d go along with this. As good as Hooper is, you only tend to get half a season out of him at best, and at 31 I can’t see this changing

16 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Yeah, pretty much this 

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

As @Sultan_Pepper says above, if we can cull the strikeforce by selling players rather than releasing them for free, then that's got to be the better option if we can manage it.

Given the choice between selling João or letting Hooper walk away for nothing, I'd be tempted to cash in on Joào, to be honest.

problem is someones got to want them and give them the wages they are on here …..winnall as hardly played for 18 months so clubs arnt going to be queueing up with big offers for him , Rhodes will be difficult to shift with wages he's on , fletch at his age and again wages wouldn't attract much interest . so your basically looking at at FF, joao and nuhiu ...ones been plagued by injuries in the last 2 seasons so he could well struggle to attract anyone who can give the sort of deal he'd probably want . …...joao signed a new deal this season so he'll no doubt want decent money to leave and that leaves the big fellow who may not be to a lot of managers taste . …..that's a negative view I know but it wont be easy to get some or any of them out  of them out . 

Kieran Lee absolutely 100% should be offered a new deal, if he can get even close to how good he was 2 years ago he’ll be the first name on the team sheet. Definitely worth the gamble on at least a year. 

I think Fletcher/Joao will be the starting 2 next season, I wouldn’t be too distraught if we let Hooper go. 

Guest wilyfox

Hooper...no. Think Bruce will want younger & more athletic. He clearly wants us to press up top. Hooper doesn't have the legs for that. It'd break him. He'll probably get lucrative 2yr offers elsewhere, and we'd be foolish to match them given the fact we've never squeezed a full season out of him during his time here. 

Lee...one year extension possibly if the signs are he's pain-free and can contribute again as a squad player at least.