Have Hooper and Lee done enough ?

Much as we all agree Lee is a good bloke and has been a good player, I don't think anyone will offer him 10,000 a week.  He would have to be back to his best and there is no guarantee of that. This also applies partly to Hooper. We have to be realistic and the players do too. Bruce has already said that we have players from the Wembley final, these players, as a group I'm sorry to say, have failed. Harsh but true. 

It’s sad to see the amount of people that are just willing to let Lee go.

A fully fit Lee in the form he was in under Carlos was a joy to watch and gives us something we still haven’t replaced.

I’d understand if he was still nowhere near coming back but he’s pulled on a first team shirt for the first time in a long time last week. Progress. He says he’s pain free and that’s good enough for me on a deal that suits both parties.

If he can recapture that form we will have one hell of a player. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, agentwalker said:

The bigger question is can we afford to replace them? are there any free transfers that are of equal quality? I can't see us being able to afford a fee for a player of that quality.

Yep 

Picking up a freebie as good a k Lee? Be a miracle.

• Thanks 1

Just now, H2Owl said:

A fully fit Lee in the form he was in under Carlos was a joy to watch and gives us something we still haven’t replaced.

I’d understand if he was still nowhere near coming back but he’s pulled on a first team shirt for the first time in a long time last week. Progress. He says he’s pain free and that’s good enough for me on a deal that suits both parties.

He’s 31 with 3 serious hip injuries in his career . He hasn’t played for two years and you want to offer him a new deal . It’s ludicrous decisions like this that have hampered us whilst our poorer , uglier neighbours celebrate promotion by have a for team that’s rarely injured . 

Time to jack in the ifs , buts and maybes . No more injury prone players being the first obvious step 

2 minutes ago, H2Owl said:

Yes it is sad, he’s one of my favourite players in the squad, but, given all the evidence, would you honestly give him another contract?

What if, like somebody said above, we offer him another contract and then he gets injured again? So we’re again paying him to sit on the sideline, paying for treatment etc. All whilst FFP looms in the background.

If we didn’t have FFP I’d be keeping them both on to try and get them fit and playing again. But we do have FFP, and keeping a player who has had serious injury problems isn’t financially sensible.

Such a tough one, as fit and firing they are two of our best players and as good as anyone else in their positions in the division.

The sad fact is though, neither player has been fit enough to have a significant impact on the team over the last two seasons... As a club we simply can't keep paying top wages to players who's fitness we can't rely on, no matter how sentimental we are about the individuals involved.

If Lee was happy to sign on modest terms, then I think it would be worth the reduced risk, but I fully expect Hooper to have lucrative offers elsewhere.

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

Yes it is sad, he’s one of my favourite players in the squad, but, given all the evidence, would you honestly give him another contract?

What if, like somebody said above, we offer him another contract and then he gets injured again? So we’re again paying him to sit on the sideline, paying for treatment etc. All whilst FFP looms in the background.

If we didn’t have FFP I’d be keeping them both on to try and get them fit and playing again. But we do have FFP, and keeping a player who has had serious injury problems isn’t financially sensible.

what aint financially sensible is giving an ageing david jones a 3 year deal on upwards on 25-30k a week ,his dad says k lee is on 10-12k a week on that basis id give him short term deals there aint any risk doing that. getting rid of the rest of the out of contract players would be the best idea , I don't see we will be able to keep westwood as he will be wanting a 2 year deal on 25k a week minimum which under our finance problems I doubt we could afford. 

12 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I think this is where the club need to be sensible. Whether or not it’s a success would depend on the terms of the contract on offer and of course if Lee contributes next season.

Would I offer another 3 year deal - Absolutely not. A small extension to January on a vastly reduced wage with the potential of a further extension after that depending on if he can prove his fitness - Maybe. There’s a deal for Lee somewhere, but we need to be smart about it.

If I was taking a guess without the debate on what I think will happen i’d have my money on Hooper to be released and a contract for Lee.

Edited by H2Owl

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

what aint financially sensible is giving an ageing david jones a 3 year deal on upwards on 25-30k a week ,his dad says k lee is on 10-12k a week on that basis id give him short term deals there aint any risk doing that. getting rid of the rest of the out of contract players would be the best idea , I don't see we will be able to keep westwood as he will be wanting a 2 year deal on 25k a week minimum which under our finance problems I doubt we could afford. 

I agree with you Handworth re; Kieran Lee. If I was Bruce looking at the out of contract players, I’d be thinking... Abdi, Jones and Pudil are all out of my thinking so they all go. Matias has had 4 years and he’s had a long enough time to take his chance and whilst he has done better of late, he’s not done enough. Boyd is 34 in September so he goes. We need to be looking at youth with pace in wide areas. Hooper is an exceptional player but we have 7 strikers and he’s on £32k PW apparently. We can’t guarantee we can sell/loan Winnall, Nuhiu and Rhodes and therefore it’s too much of a risk. With Kieran Lee, I honestly think a short term contract is the right way to go. He’s on a reputed £12k PW and we are desperately short in central midfield. He’s an exceptional player and if the medical team are happy with him, I’d give him a contract. Palmer gets a new contract and I would offer Westwood a contract on the same terms - he’s way too important to us. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

No - out of the two I’d keep Hooper as I think Lee will probably get injured again, but we haven’t had a full season of him since he’s been here.

Might live to regret it, but we could also put money into safer bets who have more chance of playing 40+ games a season.

I trust Bruce to make the right decision any road.

Lee made 52 appearances in CC's first season & has averaged more matches per season in his time here than Hooper had in his.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Have Hooper and Lee done enough  to earn new deals?

Given they have been out so long they were never going to come in 100% flying. But nevertheless is it the case that the manager has seen enough hints that they could go back to their best and are worth tying up again?

What do you make of the gaffers comments? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

steve-bruce-sheffield-wednesday-1609654.

“We will fall short this season but it’s been some turnaround and they have done very well from where they were. Now it’s a big summer ahead, of course for any football club not just our own, and some big decisions to be made.

Because of the run and the level of performance, there are one or two that I would have liked to see a little more of.

It’s good to see Kieran Lee, for example, we all remember what a good player he is and he looked really, really well – he’s had a tough time, so has Hooper and Onomah and it can take time to get up to speed so we have to be clever with them.

We’ve seen bits and pieces of almost everybody so all of them have done well and we have big decisions to make.”

No but yes but

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll nail my colours to the mast to be proved wrong later ....

I think Palmer and Lee will get new deals and the rest will be sent on their way with our best wishes.

I agree re; Palmer and Lee.

Surely, we will offer Westwood a new contract? I know he’s on c£25k PW but he’s way too important to us. I’m 95% confident that Hooper goes tho.

7 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Lee made 52 appearances in CC's first season & has averaged more matches per season in his time here than Hooper had in his.

Carlos’ first season was 3 seasons ago now. Where’s he been for the past two seasons?

I’d personally let both go, could bite us on the arse but I’ve complained about players not being able to play for the last two years and Hooper and Lee have been top of that list.