Have Hooper and Lee done enough ?

Have Hooper and Lee done enough  to earn new deals?

Given they have been out so long they were never going to come in 100% flying. But nevertheless is it the case that the manager has seen enough hints that they could go back to their best and are worth tying up again?

What do you make of the gaffers comments? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

steve-bruce-sheffield-wednesday-1609654.

“We will fall short this season but it’s been some turnaround and they have done very well from where they were. Now it’s a big summer ahead, of course for any football club not just our own, and some big decisions to be made.

Because of the run and the level of performance, there are one or two that I would have liked to see a little more of.

It’s good to see Kieran Lee, for example, we all remember what a good player he is and he looked really, really well – he’s had a tough time, so has Hooper and Onomah and it can take time to get up to speed so we have to be clever with them.

We’ve seen bits and pieces of almost everybody so all of them have done well and we have big decisions to make.”

I think both were great but we are not in a position to possibly waste any more money.

Now if deals can be agreed based on a low basic with a better bonus for playing then I would possibly be tempted. However both are probably coming to the twilight of their respective careers and if I was them I'd go for the longest, highest offer.

• Like 1

Lee won’t cost a fortune and we are short in the middle maybe he will get a chance I wouldn’t be upset if he was offered one 

hooper Is our best player in my opinion but we are overloaded in strikers he’s getting on so he might fall by the sword 

can see both being offered a contract contract but can also se them both being released 

I think hooper will be released due to his fitness record and big wages. Lee is a  different matter though. We've had his Dad on here saying he's on around 10k pw and would like to stay. Hopefully a short term deal to January with good incentives to secure a better deal going forward. Wouldn't break the bank. 

• Like 2

I ask myself how will I feel if we offer them a deal and they pick up any injury let alone one related to their long absence this season......the answer is I’d be annoyed that despite considerable evidence against it, we still made the same old mistake.

Hard I know because these were clearly two of our better players and possibly still could be.

Edited by Morepork

Yes.

Give Lee a contract as he is the less expensive and therefore less of a risk. No brainer for such a brilliant player.

Hooper is also a brilliant player but for his wages we may be able to source someone different. And if we gonna hold onto a high earner I'd rather it be Westwood.

Letting go of Abdi Jones Boyd Matias Fox should free up alot 

We also gotta try and get hector but I got a feeling he will be too expensive.

Edited by Beholder

21 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Have Hooper and Lee done enough  to earn new deals?

Given they have been out so long they were never going to come in 100% flying. But nevertheless is it the case that the manager has seen enough hints that they could go back to their best and are worth tying up again?

What do you make of the gaffers comments? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

steve-bruce-sheffield-wednesday-1609654.

“We will fall short this season but it’s been some turnaround and they have done very well from where they were. Now it’s a big summer ahead, of course for any football club not just our own, and some big decisions to be made.

Because of the run and the level of performance, there are one or two that I would have liked to see a little more of.

It’s good to see Kieran Lee, for example, we all remember what a good player he is and he looked really, really well – he’s had a tough time, so has Hooper and Onomah and it can take time to get up to speed so we have to be clever with them.

We’ve seen bits and pieces of almost everybody so all of them have done well and we have big decisions to make.”

NO

I reckon short term contract Lee and possibly hooper to leave, we've got a few strikers, and whereas Lee had one big injury (?), Hooper always gets injured after a few games and not sure he keeps his fitness up

Edited by jomaco

12 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I think hooper will be released due to his fitness record and big wages. Lee is a  different matter though. We've had his Dad on here saying he's on around 10k pw and would like to stay. Hopefully a short term deal to January with good incentives to secure a better deal going forward. Wouldn't break the bank. 

yer he put me right on here too didn't know the poster was his dad , a player of his ability we all thought would be on appx 25k a week as when he signed his deal he was in top few midfielders in the league and at the time we gave deals out to fletcher 35k hooper 30k etc  so when he posted 10-12k a week I was surprised .

• Like 1

No - out of the two I’d keep Hooper as I think Lee will probably get injured again, but we haven’t had a full season of him since he’s been here.

Might live to regret it, but we could also put money into safer bets who have more chance of playing 40+ games a season.

I trust Bruce to make the right decision any road.

3 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

yer he put me right on here too didn't know the poster was his dad , a player of his ability we all thought would be on appx 25k a week as when he signed his deal he was in top few midfielders in the league and at the time we gave deals out to fletcher 35k hooper 30k etc  so when he posted 10-12k a week I was surprised .

Must have missed this, which thread was it in? 

I think Hooper will want a longer deal than we would offer so I think he’ll leave.

I’d like to see us retain Lee on a sensible contract. He’s one of the best midfielders in the division when fit and it would be a shame to go through all his rehab, then just as he’s showing signs of coming back we let him go for nothing. 

as ive posted before extend lee deal till end of aug to prove fitness then extend till jan then end of season ,he has done incredibly well to get his fitness back I doubted he would ever play again as hip injury/surgery don't usually end well and was told by someone connected to club a few months ago that lee was advised to hang his boots up. he put 2 fingers up to them and upto now has proved them wrong. 

With the money that Hooper is on I'd say no. Offering Lee a short term deal based on proving his fitness is less risky. His position is an area we have struggled to fill this last season. 

I think Hooper will be looking for his one last pay day and that may well be in the US.

Edited by Junk Smuggler

2 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Must have missed this, which thread was it in? 

think it was a month ago ,not sure what thread , he posted 10-12k a week which surprised me , he couldn't have had a very good agent at the time as he could easily have doubled his money elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1