Have Hooper and Lee done enough ?

17 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Have Hooper and Lee done enough  to earn new deals?

Given they have been out so long they were never going to come in 100% flying. But nevertheless is it the case that the manager has seen enough hints that they could go back to their best and are worth tying up again?

What do you make of the gaffers comments? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

steve-bruce-sheffield-wednesday-1609654.

“We will fall short this season but it’s been some turnaround and they have done very well from where they were. Now it’s a big summer ahead, of course for any football club not just our own, and some big decisions to be made.

Because of the run and the level of performance, there are one or two that I would have liked to see a little more of.

It’s good to see Kieran Lee, for example, we all remember what a good player he is and he looked really, really well – he’s had a tough time, so has Hooper and Onomah and it can take time to get up to speed so we have to be clever with them.

We’ve seen bits and pieces of almost everybody so all of them have done well and we have big decisions to make.”

I think they’ve done enough in the years prior to Bruce joining for him to be willing to give them a year’s extension. 

Both terrific players, but considering the number of games played over the last 2 season's, contemplating a new contract for either would be madness. 

FFP insists head rules heart unfortunately, otherwise would be a different story.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Both terrific players, but considering the number of games played over the last 2 season's, contemplating a new contract for either would be madness. 

FFP insists head rules heart unfortunately, otherwise would be a different story.

But both have proved that they can make a difference. We need to give them a chance to get back. It’ll be significantly harder to recruit players of the same level of quality as Lee and Hooper if we are in soft embargo or worse. 

Hooper should go. He's far less likely to take a massive wage cut and I think they'll be a club with spending power willing to take a risk on him. 

Lee is far more likely to look at himself and realise nobody is going to chuck silly money at him when he's hardly kicked a ball for 2 years. I think Lee would be one of those 1 in 200 players who'd accept a low salary with decent appearance bonus to stay at the club.

11 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Keep both.

Players like that don't grow on trees. 

We'll be releasing, Abdi, Jones, Boyd and co. That's plenty of wages saved.

Hi Mr Hooper lol

26 minutes ago, shandypants said:

But both have proved that they can make a difference. We need to give them a chance to get back. It’ll be significantly harder to recruit players of the same level of quality as Lee and Hooper if we are in soft embargo or worse. 

Don't get me wrong they're great players and head and shoulders above anything else we've got, but not sat in the stands. 

Considering the allocation of budget to retain, cannot afford them, as we'd need cover during the season, possibly more given both hardly kicked a ball all season and for a good portion of last season. 

If we are embargoed, maybe a different story, although not sure if renewing contracts has the same restrictions as registering new players. 

Likewise, without FFP and no restrictions on spending, would be a no brainer to look at 1 year extensions for them.

Appears like Lee is on reasonable wages, so a one year extension I would be happy with. Really want him to stay as he was a great servant before his horror injury, and Bruce once again shows his knowledge and appreciated that even before he joined us I'm sure based on his comments.

Looks like his fitness and quality is there based on what we briefly saw on sat. He's worth the risk as he is a top 6 quality player, and he had a brilliant fitness record prior to his injury. Would make our midfield much stronger giving competition and backup to Bannan, and an ability to play wide when needed.

Don't think we need Hooper anymore with our options, and he has had many more injuries and is older and never kept in as good shape as Lee did.

Edited by swfc-dan

in terms of ability I'd like them both to stay but this is a new era, wage bill needs slashing, these 2 are high earners

I don't think any will stay, we'll offer Westwood new deal but I think he'll go elsewhere, Hooper has got 1 last big move in him, probably abroad. Lee would be a good signing for someone as we know but it's a risk, but at his age with his own young family is he going to take a pay cut & a 1 year deal? can't see it & don't blame him. The rest out of contract will go & good riddance. 

Palmer only one I think will still be here next season.

You also gotta consider the team morale aspects.

Barnsley players - all under 26 - were saying last night that too many old uns sat doing nowt just collecting mega dosh kills motivation.

Let's get some young vigour, craft with Westy , Fessy et al and really go for it.

They are 2 of our best players. If Brice believes they are past the injury issues then he has to keep them. If he doesn't feel that they are then we have to wish them adieu. I hope for the former. But have to throw sentimentality out the window sometimes.

Lee would be good to keep around the club, model pro & not the most expensive.  You would hope that the medical staff would be aware of his physical state & would advise accordingly. Also, he’d cost more to replace at a time when we are counting every penny out the club so as a solid squad player whose fitness needs to be managed I’d offer a one year rolling.

Hooper on the other hand has more options which I think would rule us out of making a reduced terms offer that would be palatable to the player. We are also overloaded in his position but also bizarrely need to recruit better in his position.

Sad to say, but they haven't had the time to "do enough". As bad as I feel about it, we should probably let them go,

Post sponsored by Snoots' bell of the Year awards. See Owlstalk Site Info section for details. Terms and conditions apply. Lots of them.