Have Hooper and Lee done enough ?

Guest Kagoshimaowl

No they haven’t. Cost us both a fortune to just sit on the sidelines for the last season and a half. The reason it’s a tough decision is both of them are probably in our top 5 or 6 best players when fit. For me I’d give a year to Lee on slightly reduced wages. We are very short in centre midfield and he’s quality. Hooper should go. I think he’s our best goal scorer but he’s on a fortune and we have SEVEN strikers. At least 2 must leave and he’s the only one of those out of contract so it makes sense really.

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

problem is someones got to want them and give them the wages they are on here …..winnall as hardly played for 18 months so clubs arnt going to be queueing up with big offers for him , Rhodes will be difficult to shift with wages he's on , fletch at his age and again wages wouldn't attract much interest . so your basically looking at at FF, joao and nuhiu ...ones been plagued by injuries in the last 2 seasons so he could well struggle to attract anyone who can give the sort of deal he'd probably want . …...joao signed a new deal this season so he'll no doubt want decent money to leave and that leaves the big fellow who may not be to a lot of managers taste . …..that's a negative view I know but it wont be easy to get some or any of them out  of them out . 

True, we're unlikely to be batting offers away left right and centre, but we may be able to find a club who wants one of them. In a world where Gary Madine sells for £6m, I maintain anything is possible!

:duntmatter:

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll nail my colours to the mast to be proved wrong later ....

I think Palmer and Lee will get new deals and the rest will be sent on their way with our best wishes.

Plus Hooper ,there are enough players out of contract to  make big savings in the budget.

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

True, we're unlikely to be batting offers away left right and centre, but we may be able to find a club who wants one of them. In a world where Gary Madine sells for £6m, I maintain anything is possible!

:duntmatter:

Totally agree. Puts the fee for Reach, Joao et al up a notch or two.

Just now, waddleisgod said:

Don’t think we can take a gamble in both, for me I’d take the risk on Lee, it’s a position we are short in

Definitely brings balance to the midfield and if he’s fully fit has a great engine.

Love both of them to bits as players but we are  not a charity.

Both would have to be on short pay as you play contracts.

We can't afford to be paying people however good they are or the fact they are popular with the fans.

How on earth can Lee have proved is fitness after 1 game.

Personally neither have done enough to warrant a new contract if we are basing this on fitness over the past 1-1.5 seasons ..

Couple of options you could take with them though - invite them to train with us over the summer in a bid to prove their fitness and earn a short term contract - (6 months - 1 year)

The other is giving them a 1 year but that may prove to be a gamble due to the above fitness record - again, do we take the risk with them, hopefully on reduced wages again or allow them to move on and sign for someone else possibly playing the majority of the season wherever they are ..

If the poster claiming to be KLEE's dad is genuine and he's on what, £10k-£15k then i'd be more inclined to offer KLEE a contract than Hooper (think he'd be best off going to the states and signing a lucrative deal there)

Due to our perilous financial situation, we need all the $$$$ we can muster and releasing the likes of Hooper, Abdi, Jones etc should allow us to negotiate some tidy deals for younger, hungrier, fitter players hopefully

Bruce did say that Lee might be one for next season so I think that’s clear. I suspect his wages will be less than what they were (who else would pay him the same?)

Id like Hooper to stay as he’s great at linking play and was vital in previous systems. But he’s expensive and I sense our style of play may go a bit more direct and rely on wingers rather than the possession game of carvalhal and luhukay, at which point he is less central. Wouldn’t mind us looking at Norwood at Tranmere as a younger version.

I'd keep both along with Westwood and Palmer and then look to reduce the wage bill elsewhere (e.g. release Abdi, Pudil, Jones and Matias).

I'd also transfer list / make available for loan: Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes, Fox and, Van Aken. 

Edited by York_Owl

15 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Have Hooper and Lee done enough  to earn new deals?

Given they have been out so long they were never going to come in 100% flying. But nevertheless is it the case that the manager has seen enough hints that they could go back to their best and are worth tying up again?

What do you make of the gaffers comments? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

steve-bruce-sheffield-wednesday-1609654.

“We will fall short this season but it’s been some turnaround and they have done very well from where they were. Now it’s a big summer ahead, of course for any football club not just our own, and some big decisions to be made.

Because of the run and the level of performance, there are one or two that I would have liked to see a little more of.

It’s good to see Kieran Lee, for example, we all remember what a good player he is and he looked really, really well – he’s had a tough time, so has Hooper and Onomah and it can take time to get up to speed so we have to be clever with them.

We’ve seen bits and pieces of almost everybody so all of them have done well and we have big decisions to make.”

My personal view is no neither.

To give both of them the money they are currently on has to be out of the question.

Offer them heavily discounted deals with extra bonuses for appearances and goals and assist. if both can get to 20+ games by Xmas time 2019 then look to offer them longer deals. We are haemorrhaging money and we cannot have £40-50,000 extra each week sat on the injury table or in the stands.

When the fans are being expected to pay the prices the least the club can do is make sure they manage the costs better. 

13 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I'd keep both along with Westwood and Palmer and then look to reduce the wage bill elsewhere (e.g. release Abdi, Pudil, Jones and Matias).

I'd also transfer list / make available for loan: Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes, Fox and, Van Aken. 

Didn't think Fox was still in contact.

He is an adequate back up if so.

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Didn't think Fox was still in contact.

He is an adequate back up if so.

I could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time!

I'd have Penney as backup and try and sign a quality left back.

12 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time!

I'd have Penney as backup and try and sign a quality left back.

Wouldn't mind Lazaar, he has a quality left foot .

But can we depend on his fitness? 

18 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Wouldn't mind Lazaar, he has a quality left foot .

But can we depend on his fitness? 

I'd say no in Lazaar's case.  I think the new players we bring in should be strong, athletic and can get through 40 games a season without breaking down.  I'd make an exception in Lee and Hooper's case but that's it.

Essentially every player is listed as money would be considered for all of them.

However if you look at the way we play now, I think Bruce would get the most from Rhodes, just as he has from Fletcher.  We get the ball forward and into the box a lot quicker and the typical centre forwards love it. 

As we are not playing through the thirds as much now, the likes of Lee and Hooper are perhaps not as central to our style of play, so given the number of strikers Hooper might be sacrificed in case we do not have any takers for Rhodes or Winnall