Have Hooper and Lee done enough ?

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I agree re; Palmer and Lee.

Surely, we will offer Westwood a new contract? I know he’s on c£25k PW but he’s way too important to us. I’m 95% confident that Hooper goes tho.

Oh yes,  I'm sure he'll be offering Westwood some sort of deal. Whether it's accepted we don't know. But certainly I think he'd like to keep him.

I was on about the outfield players really. Not sure what I'd do if I was him, but just a hunch about Lee.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Oh yes,  I'm sure he'll be offering Westwood some sort of deal. Whether it's accepted we don't know. But certainly I think he'd like to keep him.

I was on about the outfield players really. Not sure what I'd do if I was him, but just a hunch about Lee.

I have a hunch about Lee as well. Bruce knows football inside and out and he will know how good Kieran Lee is. Moreover, Bullen and all the coaches will have probably said how good he is and how much he has put into the club and also playing through injuries etc. We’ve had his Dad on here saying he’s on c£11/12k pw. We are short in midfield and I think Bruce will offer him a 12 month deal.

Whilst Hooper is a top class player, I think he goes given his c£32k pw wages plus we have 7 strikers at the club. 

I think we will keep Westwood as long as we offer a 2 year deal which we should do. I think he likes it here.

11 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll nail my colours to the mast to be proved wrong later ....

I think Palmer and Lee will get new deals and the rest will be sent on their way with our best wishes.

I agree re palmer/lee  . Im pretty sure that bruce will want to keep westwood but ive met westwood 3-4 time in the past and he wanted a better deal when I asked him before he signed his last deal 3 years ago. if offered more money elsewhere he will go that's my gut instinct . also bruce has said that wildsmith will start on sunday im thinking he may be deciding who to have as no2 to a new keeper next season.

18 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll nail my colours to the mast to be proved wrong later ....

I think Palmer and Lee will get new deals and the rest will be sent on their way with our best wishes.

It's a guessing game.. but I'm guessing the same...my niggling doubt is Boyd.

Boyd can go for me but....

Westwood, Palmer and Lee keep on short term contracts.

Abdi, Hooper, Matias, Boyd, Jones, can all go...someone on ‘ere will drive them.

Reach, Van Aken, Rhodes and Joao should be sold to earn some readies.

Have no idea what the savings would add up to but it’s got to be better than hanging onto ‘em.

What is all this guff about "short term" deals?

There are two parties involved and the offer has to be attractive to both club AND player. The shortest deal any player under the age of 34-35 will be offered is 2 years, if you offer a player a 12 month contract you are effectively telling them you don't value them and they will go elsewhere. There will be plenty of championship clubs willing to take a chance on Lee and Hooper, so we will need to offer them something half decent if we want them to stay.

8 minutes ago, Tank_owl said:

Bonus based contract, i.e. Play certain number of games and .....

That is literally EVERY contract in football. Appearance bonus, non-playing substitute bonus, goal bonus, assist bonus, POM bonus, goal landmark bonuses, etc etc. What is stated about player earning X amount per week is not necessarily what they take home, it's often a lot less, particularly if they are injured or out of favour.

Edited by Minton

I’m fairly convinced that Lee will get a deal of some description and I’ll be really pleased when it happens.

i think we have seen enough of Hooper but it seems less likely that he’ll want to stay or that we’ll spend the money to keep him. Shame really as there’s a few strikers that I’d much prefer to be out of contract and keep Hooper.

24 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I agree re; Palmer and Lee.

Surely, we will offer Westwood a new contract? I know he’s on c£25k PW but he’s way too important to us. I’m 95% confident that Hooper goes tho.

We might like to offer Westwood a contract but, as ever, there are 2 sides involved. Westwood is at the end if his contract and is therefore free to negotiate with whoever he chooses. He is also coming towards the end if his career. Therefore a club offering a sizeable signing on fee together with reasonable salary would be in front if us.  

To our advantage throughout all this, us the fact that Steve Bruce knows the value if Championship players and the days if us being ripped off should be over 

16 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It's a guessing game.. but I'm guessing the same...my niggling doubt is Boyd.

Boyd can go for me but....

fair play to him, but unless he steps his game up you can't see him getting us promoted, so we have to find someone else

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

I think hooper will be released due to his fitness record and big wages. Lee is a  different matter though. We've had his Dad on here saying he's on around 10k pw and would like to stay. Hopefully a short term deal to January with good incentives to secure a better deal going forward. Wouldn't break the bank. 

Where was this topic pls?

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

Carlos’ first season was 3 seasons ago now. Where’s he been for the past two seasons?

I’d personally let both go, could bite us on the arse but I’ve complained about players not being able to play for the last two years and Hooper and Lee have been top of that list.

He's played just 6 games less than Hooper in the last 2 seasons, not including this season.  

Unless we can get them both to agree a pay as you play contract then like you I'm leaning towards letting them go, particularly given their age, our P&S situation & Bruce's desire to bring the squad size down.