It’ll take a brave man to not give Kieran Lee a contract extension...

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Not an attractive deal for an injury prone footballer. If someone else offered 2 years i bet he'd move. Which is fair enough. 

Don't think there will be many clubs lining up good offers for players just coming back from injury like Lee same for Hooper.

Clubs may offer them short term deals to asess them like Ipswich have done with Alan Judge, taken him for half a season, he has proved his fitness and has earned a longer contract.

depends if we are under embargo. If we are its an easy choice... sign him up

This^^^  The restrictions for retaining players are much less significant than those for recruiting players.  A player with the quality of Lee would cost a shed load in transfer fee and salary.  We might as well take the risk with Lee or not recruit a replacement at all. 

You assume KL will be able to play 23 games, when it could well be that if he breaks down again it will be for months or worse. The only time you can replace players with bad injury records is when their contracts are up. Sad to say, he should be released.

By the same token, you make the assumption that won’t be able to play 23 games. 

5 hours ago, dowls said:

Lee was about to come on for Fessi, we were 3-1 down - Bruce wanted to try something different and see Lee in action, probably having accepted it looked unlikely we were going to turn it around. Then Fessi scores and lee pulled straight back on sub bench and we go on to draw equal at 3-3 sometime after this and Iorfa sending off he subs Lee on.

It was a manager looking at trying something different and ensuring he’s given long term injured a run out.

I think you missed my point pal, which was that he wouldn't have included him in a game and looked to give a long term injury a run out in your words if he wasn't seriously thinking about keeping him..

Our central midfield for next season, even if Lee is retained looks decidedly weak

Onomah Abdi Jones will depart.

This leaves only Bannan and Pelupessy fit enough to start most games. Hutchinson and Lee cannot be relied on good as they can be.

Hope we don’t go into next season like that but if under embargo may have to.

Seems to me Lee’s retention might depend on whether we are allowed to recruit and strengthen under P&S rules.

For those suggesting we cannot rely on Hutchinson and Lee, that’s fair enough, given their recent injury problems, but that leaves only Bannan as a candidate. So we’d need 2 starters for midfield, plus a couple of back up players to push them. When you consider, we might need a keeper, a couple of centre backs, a left back and options further forward, particularly if we are forced to sell the likes of Forestieri and Reach. Will we really be bringing in 10 players? Is there really any chance we will find 10 players who are better than the ones the replace? I’m not advising one way or the other, with regards to Lee, but merely asking people to be a bit more realistic about what they expect us to do

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For those suggesting we cannot rely on Hutchinson and Lee, that’s fair enough, given their recent injury problems, but that leaves only Bannan as a candidate. So we’d need 2 starters for midfield, plus a couple of back up players to push them. When you consider, we might need a keeper, a couple of centre backs, a left back and options further forward, particularly if we are forced to sell the likes of Forestieri and Reach. Will we really be bringing in 10 players? Is there really any chance we will find 10 players who are better than the ones the replace? I’m not advising one way or the other, with regards to Lee, but merely asking people to be a bit more realistic about what they expect us to do

This is an very pertinent question. It is ultimately more difficult for us to recruit than retain. We have some deadwood players that should leave because they offer nothing when fit but Kieran Lee does offer a lot.  If the club medical staff are convinced he is fully recovered or will fully recover then we should not be scared of offering him a contract extension - many players return successfully from a long term injury layoff. 

Guest gizowl
5 minutes ago, shandypants said:

This is an very pertinent question. It is ultimately more difficult for us to recruit than retain. We have some deadwood players that should leave because they offer nothing when fit but Kieran Lee does offer a lot.  If the club medical staff are convinced he is fully recovered or will fully recover then we should not be scared of offering him a contract extension - many players return successfully from a long term injury layoff. 

He is a good player on his day, as Westwood and Hooper, but it would be wrong to break the bank to keep them. Your not going to get anywhere near 46 games out of any of the 3,so we'll need better players than we've got now to play when their out, Dawson isn't a good enough stand in for Westwood, that's been proven over this season, so if you keep them you've also got to bring in adequate cover, extra expense. 

12 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Yes it could be that we may have to take a gamble on a one or two of our existing players, who perhaps haven’t had the best of luck injury wise. If we want to upgrade a few positions, where we feel we are short, I’d rather us concentrate on getting the best we can for those positions. I’d rather Bruce be able to concentrate his efforts on bringing in 5 or 6 quality players, rather than the mass upheaval we’ve seen in recent seasons. It has to be quality over quantity

2 hours ago, keepitsteel89 said:

I think you missed my point pal, which was that he wouldn't have included him in a game and looked to give a long term injury a run out in your words if he wasn't seriously thinking about keeping him..

He’s doing as all managers should .. look

at available assets when the time is right.

I don’t think we can read anything into Lee appearance at all.

I do think we can read more into Winnall lack of game time and fact we offered him chance of another loan in January mind.

8 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

You have to weigh it up. He's played 42 games in 3 seasons. Thats all you can go on. 

Is it worth using his wages to bring someone in who may not be as talanted but is available for selection and fits how Bruce wants to play or keeping a 30 game at best Kieran Lee? 

I'm starting to think we need to be ruthless and get a fit as hell squad thats smaller and more together than any of the squads we've had in the Chansiri era. I'm not sure we could achieve that with the constant changing that having so many injured players have forced us into. 

With resources tight id be tempted to let him go. Almost feel the same with Hooper. We need no sentiments here but I trust Bruce to make the hard decisions this summer. 

I can't wait personally, stagnation has set in for ages with this bunch. 

I guess the flip side is.. Hooper is class. Absolutely class. It's difficult to find players of a similar calibre.

3 minutes ago, pussface said:

Great player, didn’t take long on his return to remind us of his quality. But it’s a pay as you play deal for me.

Just so you are aware, pay as you play deals dont exist.

There are appearance bonus.

Edited by daleblue