It’ll take a brave man to not give Kieran Lee a contract extension...

36 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

They're all cracking players but Westwood wasn't injured for the lengths of time the others have been. At a time where we will have to trim the wage bill is it worth the risk? You don't see the top teams in the league with their so called best players missing constantly. Its ridiculous. 

Lee has been unlucky.

But now he is fit again.

Clearly we aren't going to agree, so it's left for us to watch what happens.

I believe Bruce will look to retain him. Personally I would be gutted if that didn't happen as he is my favourite player. But let's see.

Think too many people have a sentimental connection with the players who got to the Play Off Final in 2016.

That was obviously 3 years ago now where we have stagnated. We cant keep all the players from then who have had injury problems since.

Yes keep Lee, Westwood, FF, Hooper but run a huge risk of being 'unlucky' again next season with injuries.
Time to move most if not all on.

Look Lee has barely played in 18 months it would be madness to offer him a deal until he has proved his fitness.

I would invite him back for preseason and let him earn a deal. If after the club standing by him for the last 2 years with his injuries, he decided he wants to go elsewhere with a guaranteed 1-2 deal then thanks for the memories and we move on. We cannot risk offering him and longer deal if he cannot play the games. We simple have had to many forever injured over the last 4 years that have costs us millions to never play.

10 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think too many people have a sentimental connection with the players who got to the Play Off Final in 2016.

That was obviously 3 years ago now where we have stagnated. We cant keep all the players from then who have had injury problems since.

Yes keep Lee, Westwood, FF, Hooper but run a huge risk of being 'unlucky' again next season with injuries.
Time to move most if not all on.

I tend to agree with this to a certain extent and I'm sure I've been guilty of this myself at times, but then I was suddenly struck during the second half of our recent game against Bristol City by just how bored I am of our squad and the fact that we've had largely the same group of players for the past three seasons.

I know that might sound negative, but it was a genuine thought and one which I've since struggled to shake.

I really don't want to watch yet another season of essentially the same bunch of players, no matter how much I may like them as individual footballers. We need a sea change at our club: a new philosophy; a new style of football; a new mentality; a new group of players. I'm genuinely hoping that we receive decent bids for all our players with any resale value so that Bruce can shift on those who don't 100% mesh with his plans.

And yet, if Kieran Lee is through his injury nightmare and can play regularly again, he'd be the first one I'd want to keep. And that's not for sentimental reasons; it's because he's one of the best midfielders in this division and if we're going to play the kind of high energy, fast-paced football which I hope we are, he'd be the perfect fit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

So great to see him back on Saturday. When Lee is on the pitch you always know where he’ll be - about 5 metres from wherever the ball is and ready to facilitate a move. What a player.

Great way to describe the way he plays.

Everybody, well most, recognise his energy and ability but what makes him different is his ability to read the game and be in the right place. Whether it’s making interceptions or suddenly arriving on the end of a cross in the box.

He just appears seemingly from nowhere. It is just uncanny and obviously impossible to teach. 

3 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Great way to describe the way he plays.

Everybody, well most, recognise his energy and ability but what makes him different is his ability to read the game and be in the right place. Whether it’s making interceptions or suddenly arriving on the end of a cross in the box.

He just appears seemingly from nowhere. It is just uncanny and obviously impossible to teach. 

So true, if he’s not already five metres away from the ball then it’s because he’s about to be on the end of it or he’s busting a gut to be there. It was evident in just ten minutes on Saturday and I can’t wait for Sunday. I wonder if he’ll start.

I don’t advocate discarding Lee on the basis that he’s just come back from a long term injury and we don’t know if he’ll get fit again. It’s just as much of a risk to release him as it is to retain him. You cant just conjure up a player like Kieran Lee from thin air. 

I can’t see the logic of having something that could work but discarding it because it might not work.  I don’t think we should spaff a multi year mega contract on Kieran Lee but I think a one year extension on the same (or slightly increased) terms is appropriate. If he returns on top form then great, let’s extend again. If he remains injured then we’ve given him a chance and minimised the long term cost. 

I think we owe him to a certain extent. Under a certain manager, Lee was forever rushed back from injury and thrown straight into the first team. Surely, we should give him an opportunity to prove his fitness and value to us?