It’ll take a brave man to not give Kieran Lee a contract extension...

8 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Stop posting speculation as fact.

You don't know what K Lee is on. 

And neither do you.

I do however know he signed his current deal after the play off final during a summer in which our wage bill went up from £19m to £29m, and with the season he'd just had in 15/16 it's fair to assume he got a decent pay rise as one of the best midfielders in the division. 

Lee will not be on a small wage no matter how much you want to believe he is on peanuts. 

k lee is contracted until july 1st id extend it till aug 31st to prove fitness then extend till jan 1st then end of season , the posts on here about pay as you play don't happen these days in football ,short term deals sound better for both parties . hooper is leaving 100% 30k a week saved . 

Guest wilyfox

It's a difficult one. Many would have us re-sign Lee, Hooper, Aarons, and Lazaar. Then recurring problems with Hutch & FF, and wonder why we're back in injury hell next season. 

3 hours ago, Libertine said:

I really really like the guy but there is absolutely no way we should offer him a new contract. He’s way too injury prone. Not just the last 18 months but I think he broke down every season since we signed him. Same goes for Gary Hoooper, we are not in a position to offer contracts based solely on sentiment 

There are so many contract permutations that the club could use and keep both parties happy.

With such specific player analysis available you could even pay him per game and give top up bonus for effectiveness...so many options available. 

For that reason (hoping the club can be as inventive as they are with D Taxis) I'd give him every opportunity to succeed at S6

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Very fanciful, Lee will do like 99% of us do at work and take the best option offered to us.  The club has stuck by him through his injuries and the best way he can pay the club back is to give the kind of effort and professionalism that he is known for.  

I know it is mate. But as you point out,  his effort and professionalism set him apart from many others. The nature of his 'injury' is also relevant. There have been many rumours about it. One of the 'stories' on here recently was that he wasn't injured as such but had degenerative joint disease. If he has had a BHR as has Andy Murray, it will have been a careful and well informed decision on his part to return to any kind of football (other thank walking football!!) Certainly not something he could afford to take a risk with.

Very interesting back story to this. Would love to know what has actually been happening to the lad over the last couple of years. 

18 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Stop posting speculation as fact.

You don't know what K Lee is on. 

Signed a new deal after the play off run. Around same time we offered better deals go a lot of the first team squad.

At that time was one of best players in the league. He'll be pushing 25k easily. 

And I didn't post it as fact. I guessed he'd be in that ballpark and I won't be far wrong.

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Imagine if Abdi had made his return yesterday. Would people be saying sign him up? A player who doesn't play isn't a good investment, regardless of who it is. 

We need players who play. Players with a track record of being fit. Stop talking about pay as you play deals, they won't be offered and very few players will take them. 

Difference is I guess Lee has played a lot, and I has never played much 

9 minutes ago, RichieB said:

And neither do you.

I do however know he signed his current deal after the play off final during a summer in which our wage bill went up from £19m to £29m, and with the season he'd just had in 15/16 it's fair to assume he got a decent pay rise as one of the best midfielders in the division. 

Lee will not be on a small wage no matter how much you want to believe he is on peanuts. 

There is no way Lee is as little as Beholder wants to believe.

2 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

I know it is mate. But as you point out,  his effort and professionalism set him apart from many others. The nature of his 'injury' is also relevant. There have been many rumours about it. One of the 'stories' on here recently was that he wasn't injured as such but had degenerative joint disease. If he has had a BHR as has Andy Murray, it will have been a careful and well informed decision on his part to return to any kind of football (other thank walking football!!) Certainly not something he could afford to take a risk with.

Very interesting back story to this. Would love to know what has actually been happening to the lad over the last couple of years. 

I thought it was a hip problem, not heard the BHR rumour and hopefully, it's just that. The club must have had confidence in him returning or they wouldn't have spent all this time getting him back to fitness (contractual factors apart).  Just glad he's back no reason not to think he can be as good as ever. 

Just now, Mycroft said:

I thought it was a hip problem, not heard the BHR rumour and hopefully, it's just that. The club must have had confidence in him returning or they wouldn't have spent all this time getting him back to fitness (contractual factors apart).  Just glad he's back no reason not to think he can be as good as ever. 

Wholeheartedly agree. Don't know who said it but was discussed on here maybe a couple of months ago. Brave decision to return to competitive football if true!

18 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Lee isn't little at all, he's 6 foot 2 apparently :duntmatter:

15 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

He looked taller than he did before yesterday  :Sid:

"5 foot 2 Eyes of Blue ,

Oh what that 5 foot could do? 

Has anybody seen our Lee ?

lol

Not for a while ..........:ph34r:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, NYowl said:

I would like to think a 1 year deal would probably suit both parties. A chance for Kieran to prove his fitness and get a longer/better deal.  If the long standing hip injury has cleared up he could go on for a few years as he looks like he keeps himself very fit.

Box to box players like Lee are very hard to come by.

Not an attractive deal for an injury prone footballer. If someone else offered 2 years i bet he'd move. Which is fair enough. 

Depends on how the medics view his recovery. Is his injury something that is very likely to return or not. 

The advantage Lee has is that he is a naturally fit athlete, not like some of the others.

Then it depends on what he is liable to accept.

He seems a loyal kind a guy and if the medics see a possibility then I can see a one year extension with options to extend if he plays in enough games .

I would much rather look at doing this with Lee than say Hooper simply because of his natural fitness and the possibility he might accept such a deal.

4 hours ago, AndersonOWL said:

I wouldnt give him one. we all sit and complain about injuries but then encourage the signings of sick notes.

With you on this ..

We cry at the likes of Matias, Abdi and other sick notes yet we are advocating signing up 1 possibly 2 sick notes that have played for years ..

No room for sentiment anymore due to our financial position and i have every faith in Steve Bruce to deal with this in the right way. If they leave i'll miss them but trust Bruce to bring in more reliable and possibly players that can contribute a hell of a lot to our club

k lee is contracted until july 1st id extend it till aug 31st to prove fitness then extend till jan 1st then end of season , the posts on here about pay as you play don't happen these days in football ,short term deals sound better for both parties . hooper is leaving 100% 30k a week saved . 

This. It’s a no brainer for me.

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Signed a new deal after the play off run. Around same time we offered better deals go a lot of the first team squad.

At that time was one of best players in the league. He'll be pushing 25k easily. 

And I didn't post it as fact. I guessed he'd be in that ballpark and I won't be far wrong.

well I can 100% tell you you are way off, try half of that 25 then knock a bit more off you would be closer

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

...he is held in such esteem with Wednesdayites. 

If Kieran Lee isn’t given a contract then I’m sure that Steve Bruce has made the decision for the right reasons but, fvvck me, it’d be a bloody big stick to get beaten with if Lee went elsewhere and was successful. 

I’d be tempted to bite the bullet and extend Lee’s contract given that he is arguably the most popular and most effective SWFC player since the likes of Di Canio. 

Ok, it might not be a sensible option but firstly, Football is very much a political “PR” business so keeping fans “on side” is crucial and secondly, we know for a fact that a fit Kieran Lee will bring goals to the side and also drag his teammates 20 yards further up the pitch to play in the areas that Bruce wants us to play. 

Of course it’s a gamble to extend Lee’s contract but for many reasons, it’s one worth taking IMHO. 

It would be braver to offer him a new deal IMO. Can we afford to pay players for sentimental reasons?

I'd give him a pre-season on vastly reduced wage and if he comes through and looks useful, I'd give him a season but still on vastly reduced wage. Chances are he'd not be happy with that so I'd say thanks, good luck and move on