It’ll take a brave man to not give Kieran Lee a contract extension...

...he is held in such esteem with Wednesdayites. 

If Kieran Lee isn’t given a contract then I’m sure that Steve Bruce has made the decision for the right reasons but, fvvck me, it’d be a bloody big stick to get beaten with if Lee went elsewhere and was successful. 

I’d be tempted to bite the bullet and extend Lee’s contract given that he is arguably the most popular and most effective SWFC player since the likes of Di Canio. 

Ok, it might not be a sensible option but firstly, Football is very much a political “PR” business so keeping fans “on side” is crucial and secondly, we know for a fact that a fit Kieran Lee will bring goals to the side and also drag his teammates 20 yards further up the pitch to play in the areas that Bruce wants us to play. 

Of course it’s a gamble to extend Lee’s contract but for many reasons, it’s one worth taking IMHO. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I really really like the guy but there is absolutely no way we should offer him a new contract. He’s way too injury prone. Not just the last 18 months but I think he broke down every season since we signed him. Same goes for Gary Hoooper, we are not in a position to offer contracts based solely on sentiment 

• Like 2

He’s worth the gamble imo. But I won’t hold it against the club / Bruce if he was to go. End of the day we’ve got an injury problem at S6, we need players who can play regularly - hopefully fans will think about this before beating the club/Bruce with a stick when it comes to some unpopular decisions.

• Like 1

You have to weigh it up. He's played 42 games in 3 seasons. Thats all you can go on. 

Is it worth using his wages to bring someone in who may not be as talanted but is available for selection and fits how Bruce wants to play or keeping a 30 game at best Kieran Lee? 

I'm starting to think we need to be ruthless and get a fit as hell squad thats smaller and more together than any of the squads we've had in the Chansiri era. I'm not sure we could achieve that with the constant changing that having so many injured players have forced us into. 

With resources tight id be tempted to let him go. Almost feel the same with Hooper. We need no sentiments here but I trust Bruce to make the hard decisions this summer. 

I can't wait personally, stagnation has set in for ages with this bunch. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shandypants said:

...he is held in such esteem with Wednesdayites. 

If Kieran Lee isn’t given a contract then I’m sure that Steve Bruce has made the decision for the right reasons but, fvvck me, it’d be a bloody big stick to get beaten with if Lee went elsewhere and was successful. 

I’d be tempted to bite the bullet and extend Lee’s contract given that he is arguably the most popular and most effective SWFC player since the likes of Di Canio. 

Ok, it might not be a sensible option but firstly, Football is very much a political “PR” business so keeping fans “on side” is crucial and secondly, we know for a fact that a fit Kieran Lee will bring goals to the side and also drag his teammates 20 yards further up the pitch to play in the areas that Bruce wants us to play. 

Of course it’s a gamble to extend Lee’s contract but for many reasons, it’s one worth taking IMHO. 

Players like this with injury like they are need a clause in contract summat like every game play or fit to play you get x wage a week even if it’s off the bench but if you suffer injuries to same extent your wage is x amount whilst you recover. Not being funny surely he’ll still earn enough money lol 

• Like 1

Lee himself seems to have a great deal of integrity and honesty about him.

It may be fanciful but I'd be surprised if he was the sort of person who would step out onto the pitch in the knowledge that he might let himself, his team mates, his club and the fans down.

As Enchanter says, I believe Bruce will make the right decision for the club... but I also think Lee will do the right thing in any 'negotiations'

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

Lee himself seems to have a great deal of integrity and honesty about him.

It may be fanciful but I'd be surprised if he was the sort of person who would step out onto the pitch in the knowledge that he might let himself, his team mates, his club and the fans down.

As Enchanter says, I believe Bruce will make the right decision for the club... but I also think Lee will do the right thing in any 'negotiations'

Yes, he does seem like that sort of bloke. It will be a tough decision for Bruce, and he needs to be mindful of our current situation. I do trust Bruce to make the right decision, but perhaps he himself needs to learn the lessons We haven’t exactly had good mileage out of his two loan signings have we

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Any decision, I would imagine, will be set against the club’s financial woes Some clubs would undoubtably be in a better position to take a chance, but can we. 

Its not just financial risk here though. Lee is a very popular, ultra-effective and honest player. He has bought his popularity by sticking with us when he was courted by the likes of Everton. If he does leave, it has to be absolutely PR managed - can we afford to be seen just discarding him due to financial implications? I agree with Beholder, Lee won’t be on a king’s ransom. 

• Like 1

Imagine if Abdi had made his return yesterday. Would people be saying sign him up? A player who doesn't play isn't a good investment, regardless of who it is. 

We need players who play. Players with a track record of being fit. Stop talking about pay as you play deals, they won't be offered and very few players will take them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Its not just financial risk here though. Lee is a very popular, ultra-effective and honest player. He has bought his popularity by sticking with us when he was courted by the likes of Everton. If he does leave, it has to be absolutely PR managed - can we afford to be seen just discarding him due to financial implications? I agree with Beholder, Lee won’t be on a king’s ransom. 

No I see that, and he could be integral to the balance of our midfield As good as Hutchinson and Bannan are in their respective roles, Lee is the player who glues it all together. If we want to go with a three man midfield next year, and I believe we should, then a fit Kieran Lee means we already have the personnel in place, and that would be a huge bonus in terms of continuity

24 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

You have to weigh it up. He's played 42 games in 3 seasons. Thats all you can go on. 

Is it worth using his wages to bring someone in who may not be as talanted but is available for selection and fits how Bruce wants to play or keeping a 30 game at best Kieran Lee? 

I'm starting to think we need to be ruthless and get a fit as hell squad thats smaller and more together than any of the squads we've had in the Chansiri era. I'm not sure we could achieve that with the constant changing that having so many injured players have forced us into. 

With resources tight id be tempted to let him go. Almost feel the same with Hooper. We need no sentiments here but I trust Bruce to make the hard decisions this summer. 

I can't wait personally, stagnation has set in for ages with this bunch. 

A direct comparison here would be Hutchinson vs Pelupessy. Thirty games from Hutch and the remaining 16 from Pelupessy is a better option than 46 games from Pelupessy IMHO. We’d have to pay a significant amount of money to buy a player as good as Hutchinson to play 46 games a season, so we stick with Hutchinson and live with the fact that we won’t get a full season out of him because we have proof that he makes a difference. 

The same logic holds with Lee. We’d have to pay a significant amount of money to recruit and retain a player in the mould of Lee that could play 46 games a season. I’d rather have him for half a season than an “also ran” that was never injured because Lee has proven time and again that he makes a difference. 

I also think that Bruce will manage our midfield in a way that very few players will play an entire season of games which would mean less strain on our key midfielders. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Libertine said:

I really really like the guy but there is absolutely no way we should offer him a new contract. He’s way too injury prone. Not just the last 18 months but I think he broke down every season since we signed him. Same goes for Gary Hoooper, we are not in a position to offer contracts based solely on sentiment 

I always thought KL had a good injury record until this serious injury has kept him out for the last 18mths or so. Was he injury prone before SWFC?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Imagine if Abdi had made his return yesterday. Would people be saying sign him up? A player who doesn't play isn't a good investment, regardless of who it is. 

We need players who play. Players with a track record of being fit. Stop talking about pay as you play deals, they won't be offered and very few players will take them. 

Well i think comparing Abdi with Lee is not exactly fair.

To do so when Abdi had good games v Port vale (?) in a friendly and away v Forest is a bit of an insult to Lee.

• Like 1