It’ll take a brave man to not give Kieran Lee a contract extension...

14 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Imagine if Abdi had made his return yesterday. Would people be saying sign him up?

Of course not.

But then Kieran Lee has played 185 games for us and has proven himself to be one of our very best players, capable of driving the team forwards and being the catalyst for much of our better football, whilst Almen Abdi...well...hasn't.

Maybe the key to it is, given that Lee is vital to making our midfield tick, we could gamble by giving him a new contract, with strings attached, but then take less risks elsewhere. For example, if we take a chance on Lee, perhaps we don’t gamble on Aarons and Lazaar? All transfers are a risk, but with Hutchinson also needing to be managed, it’s important we surround them both with young legs

Great to see him back yesterday and will probably get a game next week. Is that long enough for SB to assess his fitness ? I don't know, but there must be a reason for him being included. He could have been left out, never played for us again, and no one would have been surprised. So they must be thinking of offering him a contract. Let's face it, if he was a free agent, what sort of cintract would he get elsewhere ?

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Bruce has some big decusions to make in the next couple of weeks. I trust his judgement.

Me too, but he’s not infallible in these matters He signed Aarons and Lazaar, who’ve hardly played a game

10 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Well i think comparing Abdi with Lee is not exactly fair.

To do so when Abdi had good games v Port vale (?) in a friendly and away v Forest is a bit of an insult to Lee.

Also purely on attitude. You get the feeling that Lee would give anything to get back out there playing and would bust a gut to do so. My feelings regarding Abdi somewhat differ. I would persevere  with Lee on that point only if medical opinion suggested it is was right to do so.

I honestly think lee is one of those bargain players when fit. He stands out against the divisions best midfielders but I bet we pay less than half of their wages

when Keiren lee is fit if we compare division performances against salaries he should be on 40k plus a week I bet he’s not even on 15k

so for that reason even if we only get 30 games out of him like Sam Hutchinson it’s  a decent cheap option and we are lacking in this area 

my guess is though and I’m deemed to agree with it is lee will get released 

43 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

Lee himself seems to have a great deal of integrity and honesty about him.

It may be fanciful but I'd be surprised if he was the sort of person who would step out onto the pitch in the knowledge that he might let himself, his team mates, his club and the fans down.

As Enchanter says, I believe Bruce will make the right decision for the club... but I also think Lee will do the right thing in any 'negotiations'

Very fanciful, Lee will do like 99% of us do at work and take the best option offered to us.  The club has stuck by him through his injuries and the best way he can pay the club back is to give the kind of effort and professionalism that he is known for.  

• Like 1

SB included him the last game, a game where there was still something to play (very slim chance I know ) for not just an end of the season run out for old times sake, this is professional football, even a place on the bench is thought out very very carefully, I think and hope this means SB is seriously thinking about giving the guy a chance

We have zero knowledge of his recovery process and the long term impact on his game, he’s come on for about 15 minutes yesterday and did see some of the ball

- but I read comments that it looked liked he’d never been away!!

We need to move on I am afraid ... we’ve all lost count the amount comebacks players do just to breakdown a match or 2 later. 

We have Hutch tied down next season due to contract and he’s bad enough on the reliability scale.

Edited by dowls
  • Like 1

WHAT!  Love the guy, along with all the other injury prone players, but we've let our heart rule our heads for too long.

Time to go i'm afraid, you can't base a new contract on ten minutes play it's ridiculous!!!

7 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

SB included him the last game, a game where there was still something to play (very slim chance I know ) for not just an end of the season run out for old times sake, this is professional football, even a place on the bench is thought out very very carefully, I think and hope this means SB is seriously thinking about giving the guy a chance

Lee was about to come on for Fessi, we were 3-1 down - Bruce wanted to try something different and see Lee in action, probably having accepted it looked unlikely we were going to turn it around. Then Fessi scores and lee pulled straight back on sub bench and we go on to draw equal at 3-3 sometime after this and Iorfa sending off he subs Lee on.

It was a manager looking at trying something different and ensuring he’s given long term injured a run out.

Edited by dowls

I would like to think a 1 year deal would probably suit both parties. A chance for Kieran to prove his fitness and get a longer/better deal.  If the long standing hip injury has cleared up he could go on for a few years as he looks like he keeps himself very fit.

Box to box players like Lee are very hard to come by.

Thinking ahead, if next season, we had a midfield three of Lee, Hutchinson and Bannan, we would need to have pace, invention, and goals further ahead. The set up is similar to the one Bruce used at Villa, with two wide players, one a winger, and one a striker, flanking a mobile centre forward

1 minute ago, Mus said:

WHAT!  Love the guy, along with all the other injury prone players, but we've let our heart rule our heads for too long.

Time to go i'm afraid, you can't base a new contract on ten minutes play it's ridiculous!!!

It won't be though, will it? That is what we are judging him on, not the club. The people within the club can see him training, have medical opinion to fall back on and will be giving him rigorous fitness tests.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Thinking ahead, if next season, we had a midfield three of Lee, Hutchinson and Bannan, we would need to have pace, invention, and goals further ahead. The set up is similar to the one Bruce used at Villa, with two wide players, one a winger, and one a striker, flanking a mobile centre forward

I like the idea ... but be honest as Bruce do you trust Hutch and Lee for a full season as your main midfield - given Hutch record and the massive unknown implication of Lee long term injury?

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

It won't be though, will it? That is what we are judging him on, not the club. The people within the club can see him training, have medical opinion to fall back on and will be giving him rigorous fitness tests.

True but still think its time to clear them out, they've all had their chance, failed in two playoffs, time for fresh new blood in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dowls said:

We have zero knowledge of his recovery process and the long term impact on his game, he’s come on for about 15 minutes yesterday and did see some of the ball

- but I read comments that it looked liked he’d never been away!!

We need to move on I am afraid ... we’ve all lost count the amount comebacks players do just to breakdown a match or 2 later. 

We have Hutch tied down next season due to contract and he’s bad enough on the reliability scale.

Couldn't agree more, we all love these players but let's face it, its time to move on, get new fresh blood in, players who don't break down consistently.

Our club seems to get obsessed with certain players and it clouds the real picture.

I like Lee as much as anyone but we cannot keep players who keep breaking down, its a real drain on the club.