It’ll take a brave man to not give Kieran Lee a contract extension...

1 minute ago, dowls said:

I like the idea ... but be honest as Bruce do you trust Hutch and Lee for a full season as your main midfield - given Hutch record and the massive unknown implication of Lee long term injury?

It would be a worry, yes, but whatever we do, we need to recruit young understudy’s for all three midfield positions. I really hope, other than trying to secure Hector, the remainder of our recruitment, are young fit loanees, who will give us pace and energy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Its not just financial risk here though. Lee is a very popular, ultra-effective and honest player. He has bought his popularity by sticking with us when he was courted by the likes of Everton. If he does leave, it has to be absolutely PR managed - can we afford to be seen just discarding him due to financial implications? I agree with Beholder, Lee won’t be on a king’s ransom. 

He has been absent for 99% of the season due to injury of which there is no guarantee he will fully recover from.

And he missed a last chunk of last too.

will he ever be the force he was?  No one knows..

its a very difficult decision - he goes elsewhere and shines, stays here and gets injured again.

..tough one to call for Bruce 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

I think Bruce has already decided that Lee will be here next season.

In a press conference two or three weeks ago he was asked how Kieran Lee and someone else was. They were back in training and when asked how good that was his response was it was good for next season. So a little slip from Bruce there i think saying that Lee will be here next season. Hope so too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
42 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe the key to it is, given that Lee is vital to making our midfield tick, we could gamble by giving him a new contract, with strings attached, but then take less risks elsewhere. For example, if we take a chance on Lee, perhaps we don’t gamble on Aarons and Lazaar? All transfers are a risk, but with Hutchinson also needing to be managed, it’s important we surround them both with young legs

Aarons is 23 and Lazaar is 27, not sure how young you want these legs to be lol. I’m happy either way with what Bruce decides with these two, needs to make a call on their long term fitness and we’re just not in a place where we can do that on a fans forum. If they’re crocks we shouldn’t sign them obviously but if they aren’t then they’ve looked great when they’ve played and made a difference.

I had a look at the Lazaar thread from when he first signed, and it does appear like you’d decided he was rubbish before he’d even played for us. That maybe explains your constant bashing of him, because he hasn’t put a foot wrong during  the games he’s played here (albeit he hasn’t played enough...)

For me, no we shouldn’t be offering a contract unless it is a cheap one.

We have been done in the last couple of seasons by some players constantly injured. We have players who are almost constantly available as well - Reach, Palmer, Bannan, Lees - so talk of it being the pitch or training ground don’t add up. They are just injury-prone.

Love the guy, more so than Hooper, but they have had years to prove fitness and haven’t done it. Maybe offer a contract to one, but both would be a big chunk of money that we could use elsewhere. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Aarons is 23 and Lazaar is 27, not sure how young you want these legs to be lol. I’m happy either way with what Bruce decides with these two, needs to make a call on their long term fitness and we’re just not in a place where we can do that on a fans forum. If they’re crocks we shouldn’t sign them obviously but if they aren’t then they’ve looked great when they’ve played and made a difference.

I had a look at the Lazaar thread from when he first signed, and it does appear like you’d decided he was rubbish before he’d even played for us. That maybe explains your constant bashing of him, because he hasn’t put a foot wrong during  the games he’s played here (albeit he hasn’t played enough...)

Lazaar has a shocking injury record.

We have been taking chances on players like this for so long 

..he may be good/young etc but if he spends the majority of his time off games he is no use to us at all.

To get out of the league we need a team that can be relied on to turn in 35 games plus, with a squad that can fill in at the same level.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Aarons is 23, which is fine, but he has had fitness issues since he was recruited as a youth player from Bristol City. Lazaar is 27, and although not old, he too has had his issues. Personally, I look at our squad, and it too old, we need to bring the average age down. We have plenty of experience, we just need younger legs, and with nobody stepping up this year from the U23s, we need to recruit from outside There are plenty of talented, fit youngsters at top flight clubs, who will meet our needs. We have to get away from just bringing in experienced players That’s what got us in this mess

Our two biggest problems are:

1) We have a lot of injury prone players

2) We have a lot of players on high wages

If anyone of our out of contract players falls into the two category’s I think, unfortunately, it’s time they was moved on. No matter how good players like Hooper, Westwood and Lee are between them they’re likely to miss about a full seasons worth of games. I’d rather have lesser (ideally younger) players, on lessers wages that are more reliable and try to build a solid, hard to beat team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Bruce won't succumb to the pressure of this. He's a great player, but you don't get promoted with players like him. Bruce knows that. 

The thing is clubs do get promoted with players like Lee. The question is not about his ability. The only question is fitness and we can't judge that from behind a keyboard.

• Like 1

My fav Wednesday player in this current squad. 

If he sticks around over the summer, proves his fitness etc...then perhaps he is worth a 1-year deal. 

On the other hand, I think we have to move on and even offering him a 1-year deal might be risky. 

Tough call. 

56 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Very fanciful, Lee will do like 99% of us do at work and take the best option offered to us.  The club has stuck by him through his injuries and the best way he can pay the club back is to give the kind of effort and professionalism that he is known for.  

How can a club not stand by a player who has had a terrible injury doing his job for the club and is under contract?

Who knows how these injuries will affect him in later life

I think the club owes him as much if not more than he owes us 

19 minutes ago, RedDragonOwl said:

We need players that can play 40 games a season, not 10.

Hooper, Lee's and abdi should be the first ones to leave.

How do you know who these players are?  injuries can come from anywhere

Look at the 2 from Newcastle who's to say where we would have finished with them 

Edited by the monk