On 04/03/2019 at 23:55, owls maniac said:

Do wish he’d stop taking the set pieces. When was his last decent delivery?

I'm glad he took the freekick which led to our goal this afternoon.

Who else do we have in our team who has the same set piece quality as Bannan?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Not going to bash Bannan here, but if someone else can come in who is better at set pieces i'd let them have the job.   We haven't  (usually) been too effective from them for quite some time.

Bannan is playing quite well right now generally, not sure why he's getting ripped apart at the moment.   I think he is liking playing under Bruce.

14 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

Not going to bash Bannan here, but if someone else can come in who is better at set pieces i'd let them have the job.   We haven't  (usually) been too effective from them for quite some time.

Bannan is playing quite well right now generally, not sure why he's getting ripped apart at the moment.   I think he is liking playing under Bruce.

"Well I'm not gonna bash EVERY player in the squad...but if we could get some who are better............................."

Pep Guardiola

Whilst he can be culpable of slowing down play in transition, he certainly is the best technical player we have by a mile. For me he would be ideal as a deep lying playmaker. Therefore I think he will be at his best next season as I think Bruce will have more pace out wide and up top next season. 

As for hiding? Laughable. The bloke drops deep regular to start attacks. 

Edited by runningaround

8 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Indeed .. i think he had some of his best games in a 3 with Hutch sitting or even when he was put out wide in a 4

The best he's played for us was in 2015-16 when he played a wide left role in a 442, with 2 of Hutch / Lee / Lopez in the middle.

However, Bruce seems to have decided that because he played there for half a game at Millwall and like most of the team didn't get on the ball then he'll never play there again. With the current personnel and formation though, he really does have to play in the middle but he still drops too deep too often for my liking.

12 hours ago, alanharper said:

The best he's played for us was in 2015-16 when he played a wide left role in a 442, with 2 of Hutch / Lee / Lopez in the middle.

However, Bruce seems to have decided that because he played there for half a game at Millwall and like most of the team didn't get on the ball then he'll never play there again. With the current personnel and formation though, he really does have to play in the middle but he still drops too deep too often for my liking.

That season Bannan was often used wide left and we were hopeless. Half-time or later, Carlos would switch B.B. central and push FF wide and bang!

Watch the highlights, pretty much involved in everything good we did.

I think the people who say he hides need to look in the mirror. Bannan never hides, he always gets on the ball, he always tried to play a key pass and he always gets around the pitch...minimum.

It might not always come off, but that ain’t hiding.

Giles Coke used to hide.

Edited by McRightSide

10 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I think the people who say he hides need to look in the mirror. Bannan never hides, he always gets on the ball, he always tried to play a key pass and he always gets around the pitch...minimum.

Giles Coke used to hide.

His set pieces were still terrible against the BlaVdes and have been poor for a while.

13 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Giles Coke used to hide.

I for one have never suggested he hides, but he needs to play the ball quicker and not keeping going back to defence (unless absolutely necessary)

27 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Agreed. Awful on Saturday

Yep...one good set play against Derby (there was the goal he scored against Stoke too) suddenly means he's on a par with Beckham.

Bannan offers plenty of good things to this side, but his set plays are, on the whole, not good enough imho.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Yep...one good set play against Derby (there was the goal he scored against Stoke too) suddenly means he's on a par with Beckham.

Bannan offers plenty of good things to this side, but his set plays are, on the whole, not good enough imho.

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

1 in XXXXXX

How does he compare against his peers (at SWFC and other clubs)?