On at least 2 occasions he stood still in the middle of the park when we had a thrown in, plenty of spaces to run in to. 

Now, that’s unusual for him and he did actually make space a couple of times later in the game too, so I’d assume he played his role exactly how SB asked him to last night for the team. 

Talented player, but he can become ineffective if the game doesn't suit him.

His set plays are generally rubbish.

We really need to be doing better from corners and balls into the box. Norwood has a excellent delivery tbf to him. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Miffed said:

He has been woeful from set pieces for a while now. Its seriously time that someone else (Reach?) stepped in. There were at least 2 free kicks last night that were unforgivable.

The one where he played it short but totally cocked up the pace of it summed it up. Time we mixed up the set piece takers because they were our best chance of a goal last night and Norwood showed him up big time. 

14 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Do wish he’d stop taking the set pieces. When was his last decent delivery?

Yes, his corners and free kicks are awful, but his last decent delivery was the first class delivery he made to Fletcher for his goal against Brentford, in the game before last nights Derby match.

I wish he would stay in midfield and stretch the play a bit more, rather than coming back  into defence and condensing the play. It's not as though he plays that many decent long balls from there. He often ends up under pressure and just tapping the ball to a defender to kick.

I think Bannan needs to mix his game up a bit more and get further forward, preferably down the middle of the pitch. United play all their football down the wings and just in front of their goal, so last night was a prime opportunity for Bannan to play a more central role and spread the play, but he chose, as you say, to hide from the ball rather than get into good positions and open the game up for us.

Bruce has had so many aspects of our play to adjust, I think he has concentrated on the more serious stuff first and is working his way down the list. Unfortunately for Bannan, the changes made so far mean that Bannan is becoming less and less of an influential figure, but I reckon that once Bruce looks at Bannan's position in the team, he will come up with a way of making Bannan much more of a threat than he is at he moment. Hopefully, giving others a go at set pieces will just be the start of that change.

• Haha 1

bannan apart from a good spell several weeks ago has been poor and quite a few have said that during games this season , for us to become a better attacking team he needs dropping and we need an upgrade on our fullbacks ,cant stand alioski at leeds but someone like him who motors forward would scare the like out of other teams. 

46 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

for us to become a better attacking team he needs dropping

Who for? just out of interest.

Bearing in mind that our fit options atm are.. Boyd, Jones and Pessy.

Edited by cookeh

Just now, peacock1961 said:

Agree with some on here, his goal scoring record is pants, but I agree with the who would replace him points. What is for sure is that his set piece delivery is also pants. The ⚽ needs whipping in and Bruce must see this and designate a n other. 

I think the set piece thing perhaps suffers from the same problem. We really don't have many players who can cross a ball well. Weirdly, I think Pessy is probably our best set piece taker, but he doesn't offer what Bannan does in open play. Pessy & Hutch isn't a midfield 2 i particularly want to see.

I think we just need to look at bringing in someone who can hit a dead ball in the summer.

He misses Lee massively. I personally think he is vastly over rated by many on here. He slows us down to a pedestrian pace a lot of the time when we have the ball. His set pieces are woeful. No movement when we have a throw in. And he sits far too deep. We won't progress while ever he plays the role he currently is.  

2 minutes ago, Kraschenbern said:

He misses Lee massively. I personally think he is vastly over rated by many on here. He slows us down to a pedestrian pace a lot of the time when we have the ball. His set pieces are woeful. No movement when we have a throw in. And he sits far too deep. We won't progress while ever he plays the role he currently is.  

We've seen that he's not the best in a balanced midfield 4. The defensive duties mean he's too far back down the pitch and so struggles to make a contribution, bar a few long balls to the wings. When he's looked his best he's been further forward, more space to spin into, less defensive responsibility and more channels to slot passes into. We'd probably have been better off bringing on Pessy when Nando had to go off, and pushing Bannan further forwards. He has the energy to press high up, and the skill to keep it, work a yard and play someone else in.

End of the day it's up to Bruce to get the best of him. Bannan has bags of talent for this level, we should probably set up the team to get the best from him each game, atm that's kind of prevented by injuries.. again.

Bannan doesnt suit a 2 man midfield, especially with Hutch. He needs a 3rd man as hutch plays deep,meaning when bannan picks the ball up at centre back we have a huge gap between defence and striker as both centre mids are too deep. 

I think weve only seen him play attacking a few times and he absolutely ran the show, cant remember the game but sure it was a home game this season

Good player. Goes missing in big games sometimes though. 

I think he tries too hard sometimes - wants every ball into feet - would love to see him making the run hutch did for the missed chance last night instead of running back 40 yards to get the ball off the centre half.

15 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

yeah get rid because they tried to be inventive.  boooo, typical owlstalk response.

hes the smallest guy in the ground. hes hardly gonna go up for the corners/set pieces.

always need a scapegoat, some people should seriously stop going to football.

Wtf have I just read let’s lose all our attacking threat from free kicks and corners because Bazza isn’t tall enough. 

Ffs :duntmatter: