Underlying Problems for SB to sort out.

OK. So now maybe we can acknowledge that other teams won't just lie down for us to beat them.

Bruce is going to change us to a high pressing team. That will take time and possibly some changes of players.

He will want high pressing full backs and therefore defenders who can pass the ball. 

He will want/need a quick striker playing on the defenders shoulder to create space.

Anyway,  it's  not going to happen this season.

Let's let it evolve....

• Like 1

Just now, Peacenocchio said:

OK. So now maybe we can acknowledge that other teams won't just lie down for us to beat them.

Bruce is going to change us to a high pressing team. That will take time and possibly some changes of players.

He will want high pressing full backs and therefore defenders who can pass the ball. 

He will want/need a quick striker playing on the defenders shoulder to create space.

Let's let it evolve....

Its hardly likely to happen next season either....

Thats gonna be the main problem Steve Bruce is going to have.

This shopping list Wednesday fans have, has got f.ook all to do with reality...

Its like a kid running around a sweet shop pickin' stuff and his Mums got f.ook all in her purse.

We will be lucky to hang on to some of the better players we have, and see if Steve Bruce can turn it into something, shift some dead wood and make a couple of astute signings.

Its not going to be pretty for a good 2 years I reckon...Will owls fans give DC and bruce that much time?...I seriously doubt it

We don't play with a high tempo often enough. There were a few glimpses on the first half today. But, we generally seem ponderous and indecisive on the ball rather than being on the move providing options. By the time they are ready to pass the opposition have reset. So then we pass back. If we can just start moving the ball more quickly things will start happening.

4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Its hardly likely to happen next season either....

Thats gonna be the main problem Steve Bruce is going to have.

This shopping list Wednesday fans have, has got f.ook all to do with reality...

Its like a kid running around a sweet shop pickin' stuff and his Mums got f.ook all in her purse.

We will be lucky to hang on to some of the better players we have, and see if Steve Bruce can turn it into something, shift some dead wood and make a couple of astute signings.

Its not going to be pretty for a good 2 years I reckon...Will owls fans give DC and bruce that much time?...I seriously doubt it

What about shoplifting?

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Only 34 goals in 30 games . Top scorer only 9 goals in 30 games . There is our major problem . 

I think our problem is the quality coming in from the wide areas

If Palmer could cross a ball we would have won today, so many times he gets in really good positions,but his final ball is woeful

Fox isn't as athletic as Palmer, so he doesn't get as high up the pitch

When you play with attacking full backs, they must be able to deliver the final ball

Around the 76th minute, Palmer made a brilliant run, he had two forwards racing in, and defenders facing their own goal, he needed to fire the ball in, in front of everyone, it would need a touch and could have resulted in a Reading player putting through his own goal, but he pulled the ball back towards the penalty spot, behind everyone, with no Wednesday player there. You can't just hit crosses in aimlessly and hope for the best, you have to give your strikers chances, our crosses don't do that.

If we find a couple of players who can cross a ball, we will start scoring

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Lots of things to sort out for me. The full backs have improved recently but we still need to improve there. More pace and better quality deliveries is a must from those areas. Also need more pace out wide too, Boyd certainly not the answer.

Really didn’t like the system today either, a rigid 442. I think Bruce is trying to get us solid and hard to beat first which I fully understand. But moving forward I really hope he switches to a more fluid system which allows more possession and attacking options in the final third.

Edited by Sticky belly

1 hour ago, Peacenocchio said:

Let's let it evolve....

I have never seen a Steve Bruce team play in the way you describe. 

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Still think the full backs are the

Promble. Get in loads of space but just don’t deliver. No wonder our strikers don’t score with that kind of service. 

Underground, overground, promblin' free. 

The prombles of Hillsborough Stadium are we. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

The Nando of 2 years ago wouldn't have spent the entire game passing backwards instead of turning forwards with the ball.

The Nando of 2 years ago would have been starting from a midfield position and going forwards. He's not a front man, needs to find a way to play in the space behind the front on accept a role on the left of midfield.

I think that's Bruce's biggest issue to resolve and none of the last 3 managers have managed it. Carlos got the nearest to it playing him on the left of midfield and sacrificing shape and solidity for it. Then he tried to get stability by playing him up front and getting in behind but it always left that huge gap between a Hutch/Bannan midfield and a front 2. We've only ever really filled that gap when Hooper has been fit and in there and our win rate when he is is incredible

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

With 4 promotions under his belt ,I think Bruce knows the game ,That Reach miss ,Feel though for the lad ,Looks better on the left side .Fletcher works his socks off but not a scorer.

as effective as fletcher is outside the penalty area in build up play, your c/f has to carry more of a goal threat than he does at present.

I guess WHEN his contract is up it'll not be renewed.

we need his battling spirit, but with more, and quicker movement that will get him into goal scoring positions more often, sadly he's never going to achieve that, and thus...