Underlying Problems for SB to sort out.

21 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Thought Palmer did great last minute setting up Reach who then missed a sitter, but I agree this quality of service doesn't happen often enough. 

Was the same with Jack Hunt. 

1 great cross in 10 etc. 

I thought Palmer played really well yesterday and should have had an assist to his name. 

The problems stems from midfield. We do not have players with energy and pace to do high press. Hutchinson is helping secure defence.

The front five do not have enough goals in them. FF has not recovered goal touch yet he has been absent for a long time and will take a while. Reach has scored with some wonder strikes and will score a few goals but rest are well below what you need for a successful team at this level. Fletcher works very hard and play is good all round but a centre forward needs to score goals and his record says he does not. Joao or Winnall are only two who may be able to do this but think neither would be prolific. 

Bannan is a talented player, but just about impossible to fit into a successful team as finishing or pace are not what you need in formation we use. 

Think Bruce is having a look and if you have tight defence it is a good foundation to build upon. It will take time due to financial restrictions but feel we are in good hands.

On 09/02/2019 at 18:56, The Dukeries Owl said:

The Nando of 2 years ago wouldn't have spent the entire game passing backwards instead of turning forwards with the ball.

2 years older, lost that off the mark pace. Is he the same player. Haev we seen him at his best for nearly 3 years? I'd argue not. 

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 00:35, fpowl said:

Another 3 or so games now Nando will be be back to his best when his sharpness is back

we will have the three new lads in the team adding much needed pace 

Aaron’s will be a regular starter for Boyd

lazaar will be in for fox and possibly iorfa for Palmer  I’m guessing him not starting against thorniley ( not offended by that disicion ) is more of an indication he’s be brought in for full back 

this will give us an extra edge as we can get up the pitch quicker in numbers and penetrate the oppositions defencd 

the power of pace regardless of if the players are gash or not will make teams cautions and set up differently to play again us 

I mean the pace of fox and Palmer and Boyd scares nobody 

I’m not having a go of anybody already playing I understand why Bruce hasn’t changed it they’ve been getting the results but games are going to come thick and fast now so this is a prime time and excuse for him to refresh the team 

Great post this.

The one thing I would add to this is we need to get Onomah fit, as on Saturday when Bannan was very poor we need another option. In CM without Lee we are very short.

Well if memory serves me right, well be losing about 9 players if we don't offer new contracts. 

Thus this should free up some money in wages at least and trim down the squad,reitering what bruce has already said. 

Bruce is quite astute and good in the loan market, so maybe as Huddersfield did when they got promoted, if he can create enough spare wages allowing himself to bring 5/6 on loan and it could be very fruitful. This also means if you miss out like we did for two years on the bounce your not saddled with a bunch of aging crocks on long term deals, if it doesn't work out with a player you can send them back. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

I’m not sure a midfield two of Bannan and Hutchinson will suffice, which is what it will be if we play Aarons, and Reach remains wide Don’t think Boyd is the answer either, but he does try and tuck in. The problem is, Bannan has to play deep or there is too much space between the central pair. 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not sure a midfield two of Bannan and Hutchinson will suffice, which is what it will be if we play Aarons, and Reach remains wide Don’t think Boyd is the answer either, but he does try and tuck in. The problem is, Bannan has to play deep or there is too much space between the central pair. 

Good post. Essential (I think) what you’re saying is that Bannan, Hutchinson, Reach and an outside left/winger won’t work unless Bannan or both Bannan and Hutchinson start covering more ground in the middle of the park (?).  

Neither Hutch nor Bannan suit just a two in midfield.

The position Hutch plays is perfect for a formation where you have a three man central midfield.

Hutch plays holding with two more forward thinking midfielders in front of him.

You also need pacy attacking full backs who can add to threat going forward. 

As it is the forwards are getting little support and when we come up against a better team we will be outplayed in central midfield 

Guest LittleG
29 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Bruce has always had a powerful box to box midfielder in his teams. Diame at hull , Snodgrass  at villa,  so I expect him to continue that trend and sign one of these types of player in the summer.

We've been crying out for one for a long time; hope he does manage to sign this type of player.

On 09/02/2019 at 18:33, Peacenocchio said:

OK. So now maybe we can acknowledge that other teams won't just lie down for us to beat them.

Bruce is going to change us to a high pressing team. That will take time and possibly some changes of players.

He will want high pressing full backs and therefore defenders who can pass the ball. 

He will want/need a quick striker playing on the defenders shoulder to create space.

Anyway,  it's  not going to happen this season.

Let's let it evolve....

In the early days of CC I recall us pressing and being quite aggressive.. the squad ain’t change that much since then so it’s well within their capabilities 

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Bruce has always had a powerful box to box midfielder in his teams. Diame at hull , Snodgrass  at villa,  so I expect him to continue that trend and sign one of these types of player in the summer.

We haven't had one since Carlton Palmer left 

Yes, I really agree with Quist when he says that:

The front five do not have enough goals in them. FF has not recovered goal touch yet he has been absent for a long time and will take a while. Reach has scored with some wonder strikes and will score a few goals but rest are well below what you need for a successful team at this level. Fletcher works very hard and play is good all round but a centre forward needs to score goals and his record says he does not. Joao or Winnall are only two who may be able to do this but think neither would be prolific.

Where are the goals going to come from is the big worry.

Short term we need to have Bannan practising shooting and keeping it low day in day out.

He got in several good positions on Satuday but he either passed of blazed the ball high over the bar.

Winnal is probably the best poacher we have with Hooper out.  When we signed him he had already scored about 9 for Barnsley by Christmas.

I hope SB will give Winnal a go.