Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Guest wilyfox

Defensively, Palmer was excellent second half of season - but still has little to offer offensively. Probably why Bruce was keen to switch him over to accommodate Iorfa.

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Palmer is the best right back we have, and as a right back, is better than Odubajo and Matthews Playing further forward, Odubajo and Iorfa offer more Do we really need to be tinkering with one of the positions where we have several decent options. 

If money is as limited as some say, then surely we should be prioritising positions where we are short? Exactly what we should have done post Wembley, but we didn’t  Just don’t want us to make those mistakes again

As i said......................not IMHO , and you stating that isn`t so aint gonna make me believe it.

i do get your point about prioritising positions , but Nick Powell is an attacking central midfielder and you cant possibly think we dont need at least two new central midfielders this summer ?

Edited by sheriwozgod

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

His attacking play is better than Iorfa’s defending

Iorfa -

Averages (per game):

tackles - 2.2

interceptions - 1.3

fouls -  1.3

clearances - 3

blocks 0.3

Palmer - 

tackes - 2

interceptions - 1.1

fouls - 0.8

clearances - 2.3

blocks - 0.3

I would suggest that Iorfa is superior to Palmer in the defensive stats as well. 

Sorry, I like Palmer, but Iorfa is far superior in both defence and attack. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/143955/Show/Dominic-Iorfa

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/83778/Show/Liam-Palmer

Edited by Minton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Defensively, Palmer was excellent second half of season - but still has little to offer offensively. Probably why Bruce was keen to switch him over to accommodate Iorfa.

Yep, in the old days, you could say, so what, it’s a defenders job to defend. Nowadays, we require something extra from our full backs. At a time when keepers are being jettisoned for that lack of ball playing skills, the game is clearly changing. For me it depends on Bruce, if he’s sticking to his old school ways, and playing with wingers, then it has to be Palmer. If we don’t use wingers, then we may place more importance on a full backs attacking abilities

4 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

As i said......................not IMHO , and you stating that isn`t so aint gonna make me believe it.

i do get your point about prioritising positions , but Nick Powell is an attacking central midfielder and you cant possibly think we dont need at least two new central midfielders this summer ?

If we continue to play with wingers, then we definitely don’t We will need two midfielders who both attack, and defend.

9 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Iorfa’s speed gets him out of a lot of poo. I’d say Palmer’s positional sense is better, plus he’s better technically (touch, passing etc). Hard to say who’s the better overall.

Odubajo trumps both though for me.

Sometimes reminds me of Helan.....good power of recovery

11 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Iorfa’s speed gets him out of a lot of poo. I’d say Palmer’s positional sense is better, plus he’s better technically (touch, passing etc). Hard to say who’s the better overall.

Odubajo trumps both though for me.

I think fact that Odubajo was signed for 4.5m and touted as a 12m target of a premier team prior to his injury speaks volumes in terms of who was better. If he’s anywhere near the player he was pre injury he’s a country mile better than both of the others with also the added benefit of being able to play left/right, defence or midfield. Neither of the others are capable of doing that either. 

3 hours ago, gizowl said:

The cattermole one I'm not too keen on, but the others I think will be an improvement on what we've got, with a good winger and left full back, we'll have the making of a side that should be looking at the top 6.

See I think the Cattermole one would be a good deal. He is fit for his age and a decent footballer plus he has that bite. Yes he has his downsides like his suspensions but he would be coming in as back up for Hutch, which in my opinion is exactly what we need. I would love us to sign someone who would be an improvement in defensive midfield but they cost big money so really this signing would be ideal IMO.

4 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

See I think the Cattermole one would be a good deal. He is fit for his age and a decent footballer plus he has that bite. Yes he has his downsides like his suspensions but he would be coming in as back up for Hutch, which in my opinion is exactly what we need. I would love us to sign someone who would be an improvement in defensive midfield but they cost big money so really this signing would be ideal IMO.

After watching Cattermole in that god awful game last night, am kinda hoping it is just a rumour we're after him. 

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So that’s 8 players we’ve been heavily linked with, and none are under 25 

No, but even 25 is an upgrade on before and players generally still have their peak ahead of them at that age.

I get your point though and I'm sure we will be linked with some younger talents at some point, probably towards the end of the window when the prem teams get their own acts together.

That Cattermole rumour has been doing the rounds for ages, would like to think a rumour is all it is 

been linked with George Honeyman aswell in the past 

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So that’s 8 players we’ve been heavily linked with, and none are under 25 

As has previously been explained in this thread, at the current stage of the transfer window, the only players available for ultra cheap/frees are those that have been released by their respective clubs. As has previously been explained, players that get released by their club either do so for personal reasons or are surplus to requirements. As has previously been explained, a player that is surplus to requirements is going to be someone that their now former club believes isn't going to develop to be any better than they currently are. This is a trait that typically is associated with older players (like, over 25), ones that have largely finished their development. It's not rocket science.

You're literally complaining that we're going for what is currently available. It's like going into HMV and complaining that the most recent Pixies album they have is Head Carrier

"Excuse me, you don't have their newest album"

"But sir, it isn't available until September?"

"Yes, but I want it NOW"

Calm down Veruca Salt. 

ffs :Sid:

• Haha 4

So we need a dynamic, pacy, box to box player. Someone who can tackle, add physical presence but also get forwarss in support of the midfield. 

flipping Lee Cattermole. Hes crap in league 1. Hes old. No way would he improve our side. Aim higher ffs.