Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

14 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The definition of a bad transfer strategy is signing players “ as backup”

There are plenty of players out there even with our apparent limited funds. I only want signings with the ability to improve our first 11 or at the very least know they are competing for a place in the team.

Signing people as backup was one of the major issues under Carlos and came back to bite us in the bum because he never trusted them to play.

A squad needs both types of players. It needs both first teamers and back ups.

Having a team of 20 players who could all be first team players will be bad because theyd all expect to play.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bigger Guns said:

Difference between the two is one is old and the other was young. And maguire has other attributes that make up for it such as good in the air, good at reading the game and built like an ox

I know that I was being pedantic. It just seemed funny that it was almost word for word the same description that used to be used on Maguire.

lol

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

When will our fans understand we can't afford to sign a first team option to replace Hutchinson?

I get that argument. But if you can’t afford to replace him the last thing you do is sign a has been on big wages. That’s what got us in to this mess. There are so many players that can be average/poor back up who would cost a lot less. Joey peleupessy being one. I understand we can’t go and sign someone who will dislodge Hutchinson but if you’re getting back up get a young kid on loan

On 28/06/2019 at 14:51, room0035 said:

I think what going to be key in the next 4 weeks is which players we can get rid of for fees, the likes of Winnall, JVA, Rhodes, Fox, add little to the team and probably will not play very often with a fully fit squad, but between then account for about £80k a week in salaries or just over £4m a season, if we can get rid and maybe get £5m+ in fees (probably mainly Rhodes and Winnall) then we could be £6-8m better off with no affect on the first team.

The key to sorting out our finances is to get rid of those who aren't going to play, they just drain the funds

We need a squad which all players can do what Bruce needs, made a good start with the retained list, but more to do

4 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

Never passed it off as fact. As I said in an earlier post this is a forum where people can express opinions. My opinion is that cattermole is awful and would be a bad signing.

Do you care to have an opinion or are you just going to state the obvious that my opinion isn’t a fact.

Edit: My point has actually achieved a bit of debate too which is what the forum is for. What’s yours achieved

Hey I thanked you for your input, I don’t know enough about him in recent years to draw an opinion.

I have an assumption that if he’s played regularly for a team that was challenging and contributed 7 goals from what was likely defensive midfield role that he’d most likely done well last term. 

You have an opinion that he is slow, cumbersome, turning circle of a tanker... you know, the kind of hyperbole that washes my assumptions that he’d had a good season away. Also reminds me of many opinionated views of Maguire (set to be most expensive defender of all time), flint, Dunk and few others that have had decent careers. 

2 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

I get that argument. But if you can’t afford to replace him the last thing you do is sign a has been on big wages. That’s what got us in to this mess. There are so many players that can be average/poor back up who would cost a lot less. Joey peleupessy being one. I understand we can’t go and sign someone who will dislodge Hutchinson but if you’re getting back up get a young kid on loan

Young players on loan will cost just as much. 

I'd only sign cattermole if his wages are cheap, and I can't imagine he'll be wanting loads of money. He won't get another club if he does.

Cattermole is better than Pelupessy anyway, and we could sell JP back to Netherlands for triple what we paid for him I reckon helping us even more with FFP.

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Hey I thanked you for your input, I don’t know enough about him in recent years to draw an opinion.

I have an assumption that if he’s played regularly for a team that was challenging and contributed 7 goals from what was likely defensive midfield role that he’d most likely done well last term. 

You have an opinion that he is slow, cumbersome, turning circle of a tanker... you know, the kind of hyperbole that washes my assumptions that he’d had a good season away. Also reminds me of many opinionated views of Maguire (set to be most expensive defender of all time), flint, Dunk and few others that have had decent careers. 

See my previous post about maguire. Same applies to flint and dunk.

they also play a different position. Midfielders need to be mobile to get round the pitch. A defender can sit in their line of 4

Edited by Bigger Guns

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Just looked, his Twitter says he is a journo for the Daily Mirror.

According to the Mirror though, they don't employ him

Just another S6 Transfers.

What’s wrong with these sad f*cks. Nearly ruined my Petite Sirah!!!! :Sid:

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Young players on loan will cost just as much. 

I'd only sign cattermole if his wages are cheap, and I can't imagine he'll be wanting loads of money. He won't get another club if he does.

Cattermole is better than Pelupessy anyway, and we could sell JP back to Netherlands for triple what we paid for him I reckon helping us even more with FFP.

Cattermole was on £40k at Sunderland. Doubt a young loaner would cost us £40k a week. 

Ok cattermole is on nothing now but he won’t come cheap.

I expect Bruce will want a further 5 through the door. If that’s the case, we will need to sell a few. Anyone got any rumours? I suspect Rhodes, Winnall, JVA, Fox and Pelupessy are surplus to requirements but finding suitors will prove difficult. I suspect Winnall will be first out.

16 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Just looked, his Twitter says he is a journo for the Daily Mirror.

According to the Mirror though, they don't employ him

Just another S6 Transfers.

Oh bugger....I’ve been done.

Sorry about that. 

11 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

Cattermole was on £40k at Sunderland. Doubt a young loaner would cost us £40k a week. 

Ok cattermole is on nothing now but he won’t come cheap.

When you add in the loan fees and things, it very well might.

Cattermole wont be asking for 40k a week anyway because if he does, he won't get another club.

Another thing on youth loans though, how many premier league clubs do you think would be willing to send us a player to basically be a bench player?

17 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

The 'journo' who said it joined Twitter in June 2019, has 400 followers, his employer doesn't have him listed on their site and most crucially, doesn't exist.

Yup another phoney like Jonathan Brixton