Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Really will be gutted to miss out on Hector. Maybe if it wasn’t for this sodding embargo and spunking crazy amounts of money on players that didn’t improve us we could have signed him. 

Without doubt.

All comes down to not employing a manager like Bruce much earlier and trusting him to make decisions.

Edited by Beholder

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Without doubt.

All comes down to not employing a manager like Bruce much earlier and trusting him to make decisions.

Completely agree. We needed a manager like Bruce when we got rid of Carlos. Just pleased we have got him now. 

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Really will be gutted to miss out on Hector. Maybe if it wasn’t for this sodding embargo and spunking crazy amounts of money on players that didn’t improve us we could have signed him. 

Just now, Beholder said:

Without doubt.

If we weren’t so strapped last term would we have even brought him here in first place? I mean before signing him I’d seen nothing to suggest he’d be such a hit here? 

Be interesting to to see how he fares elsewhere if he doesn’t end up back here because his previous seasons are quite hit/miss. 

36 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

A squad needs both types of players. It needs both first teamers and back ups.

Having a team of 20 players who could all be first team players will be bad because theyd all expect to play.

Give over.

Bruce is an experienced manager who would love the problem of having 20 to pick from.

3 minutes ago, keefdave said:

Hindsight spunking

Could have signed Vernacio for 1million but bought JVA for 3.5+. One can defend the other is looking to be shipped back to Holland for whatever we can get as just cant handle english football and its physicality. Bad decisions made with expensive repucutions. 

40 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I'm sure he would.

But having a squad of 20 who all think they should be playing is bad for morale.

Depends on the players. I would want players who are determined and willing to work to force their way into the first team. Players who accept being second best aren't really what you need to get promoted.

If you have 30 players you would expect some to be bench warmers.

2 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Cattermole isn’t coming here 

If he does, i will blame you!

2 hours ago, swfc1983 said:

Tell you what’s pathetic, writing people off before they’ve even set foot through the door....crazy. Not every signing works think everybody acknowledges that but at least give the buggers the chance to fail.

If this was a young lad then fair comment, but cattermole is an experienced pro, with many attributes that we need to steer clear of. It's not writing hm off, it's making an informed opinion based on what has been on display for a number of seasons. If he was really so good, then Sunderland, a team who will definitely be chasing promotion would have kept him, instead they paid a large chunk of his wages to let him go. 

2 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

My missus has faith in me but when I accidentally stick it in her arse she says I’ve done it wrong and doesn’t wait until the end of the season to do so

'accidentally' lol 

2 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

If he does, i will blame you!

If this was a young lad then fair comment, but cattermole is an experienced pro, with many attributes that we need to steer clear of. It's not writing hm off, it's making an informed opinion based on what has been on display for a number of seasons. If he was really so good, then Sunderland, a team who will definitely be chasing promotion would have kept him, instead they paid a large chunk of his wages to let him go. 

'accidentally' lol 

Well you know these things happen lol

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

The reason they are not linked is because we are not realistic over the prices. Its rumoured we want 8m for Joao. 7m for Rhodes and 14m for Forestieri.

And I would hazard a guess we would want about 25m for Reach.

Didn't we turn down a bid for David Jones only for him to never kick a ball for us again.

If we dont want to sell a player then fair enough put a ridiculous price tag on him. But if we do then make sure we accept the first reasonable bid that comes along. Otherwise all we are going to do is hoard players on stupid contracts then release them on a free.

We need to wake up a bit.....

Regardless of the rumoured fees we’re seeking, you don’t know until you come in for a player, and then you’d normally begin negotiations. We’ve had no bids 

27 minutes ago, prowl said:

Depends on the players. I would want players who are determined and willing to work to force their way into the first team. Players who accept being second best aren't really what you need to get promoted.

If you have 30 players you would expect some to be bench warmers.

If you have players who think they should be playing all the time but don't, they sulk and when they are required then don't perform.

Players who know they aren't first choices with us but are happy to be in, generally will give it their all in every game they play, closing the ability gap IMO to supposed better but sulking players.

You need both in a team to succeed.

2 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

Not disputing that. His record is there for all to see. Doesn’t mean he can’t make mistakes. This is a forum. It’s for opinions. If I think signing cattermole would be a mistake I’m going to say it. That doesn’t mean I don’t trust Bruce. I just think if we sign him and end up pushing top 6 I suspect someone like cattermole will be a bit part player at best

Fair enough, eye brows would be raised if we did sign the likes of Cattermole. But I think the manager deserves us to reserve judgement at least until we see his side perform.  

I remember when Cardiff signed Mendez-Laing their fans were questioning why they were getting a league 1/2 journeyman in his mid twenties, yet he went on to help them get promotion. So sometimes you just have to wait and see what the player will bring to your side and manager 

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I'm sure he would.

But having a squad of 20 who all think they should be playing is bad for morale.

Meanwhile, while morale sinks, Bruce is sat on his posterior thinking I would love to sign this player but I can’t because he is too good, he would want to play games.