Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I understand the logic of getting Wildsmith out on loan, and yes he should have gone out last season. My argument against buying a new keeper, as well as a new right back, is that, those are two of the positions where we have good options. Left back, centre back, centre and wide midfield, are bigger priorities

Agree, but if we can get a free agent in for more or less the wages saved on Dawson and Wildsmith for a season wouldn't be a bad idea. Agree, it would be folly to pay a fee or negatively affect the available budget on a GK, given the considerable work needed elsewhere in the team. 

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I understand the logic of getting Wildsmith out on loan, and yes he should have gone out last season. My argument against buying a new keeper, as well as a new right back, is that, those are two of the positions where we have good options. Left back, centre back, centre and wide midfield, are bigger priorities

If one of them is to go then we'd need a third keeper, certainly not as much as we need a LB, CB etc but we'd certainly need another body.

I would be reyt miffed if we lose both Wildsmith and Dawson on permanent transfers but sign Andy Lonergan. I can understand selling one of the young keepers, I can understand selling one and loaning out the other (and then making Lonergan a smart signing), but going from a goalkeeper pool of Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith to Westwood, Lonergan would feel like a decrease to quality available in that position and a drastic increase in average age for what doesn't free up enough resources to improve elsewhere on the pitch. 

Maybe it does, and the signing of that guy from Basel depends on the re-jigging cost-saving measures back there? Pure speculating on speculation, but I guess the point is that if at any point over the next two months we do something in the market, it has to make sense in relation to the squad as a whole. Fingers crossed things are a-changing at Wednesday and we can start doing that sorta stuff right again.

2 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Sounds like Bruce is interested in bringing another goalkeeper in (Andy Lonergan has been rumoured), thus allowing Dawson and Wildsmith to move on either temp or perm. 

Id much rather Wildsmith leave on loan with Dawson going permanently. I think the treatment of Wildsmith has been pretty poor to be honest- he played really well towards the back end of 17-18 and then Dawson was given a go when we were mathematically safe and then hasn't been seen since.

I bloody well hope this is just a rumour. If we were to replace Dawson or Wildsmith with a 35 year old Lonergan that would be awful business.

Wildsmith out on loan - remember, he's not being picked under 2 managers now probably for a reason (good shot stopper, people moan about Dawson not commanding his box, Wildsmith even worse with some high profile errors) but given regular football at League 1 or 2, he will come back better and stronger.

10 hours ago, Rogers said:

He wasn't particularly singled out - comments were made when he made errors, which most players go through if they have a stinker.  The main issue was that we had a better keeper being left to rot and that the rest of the defence were not as well organised under Dawson

Dawson was absolutely singled out regardless of whether he conceded or not .. Owlstalk, Facebook and Twitter rife with comments lambasting the manager for picking him and the player for even the tiniest hiccup ..

• Like 2

Just now, Hack-Abusi said:

I bloody well hope this is just a rumour. If we were to replace Dawson or Wildsmith with a 35 year old Lonergan that would be awful business.

Wildsmith out on loan - remember, he's not being picked under 2 managers now probably for a reason (good shot stopper, people moan about Dawson not commanding his box, Wildsmith even worse with some high profile errors) but given regular football at League 1 or 2, he will come back better and stronger.

Dawson was absolutely singled out regardless of whether he conceded or not .. Owlstalk, Facebook and Twitter rife with comments lambasting the manager for picking him and the player for even the tiniest hiccup ..

It's not replacing them with Lonergan, he will be brought in as a number 3. The majority of teams have maybe 2-3 kepepers in the first team picture and another (usually experienced pro, Rob Green, Lee Grant) to provide back up but 99% of the time are used as a training cone.

If one of the keepers goes out on loan then we would need another keeper for a year to cover for them.

7 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Totally agree with both these points.... Dawson got hammered week in week out no matter what he did. Westwood is the better keeper, I'll not dispute that but to say just KW made us more solid at the back is bōllócks. Hutch being in front of the back four did as much if not more for our solidity as proven in the last match against QPR when he wasn't there and we were left wide open down the middle. 

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48503980

21 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

It's not replacing them with Lonergan, he will be brought in as a number 3. The majority of teams have maybe 2-3 kepepers in the first team picture and another (usually experienced pro, Rob Green, Lee Grant) to provide back up but 99% of the time are used as a training cone.

If one of the keepers goes out on loan then we would need another keeper for a year to cover for them.

My apologies, with you saying AND i thought you meant that both can leave for you although appreciate that 3 keepers are a must these days and the 3rd choice always seems to be a seasoned pro coming to the back end of his career or one willing to sit on the bench and not play AKA ROb Green / Stuart Taylor

16 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

Totally agree with both these points.... Dawson got hammered week in week out no matter what he did. Westwood is the better keeper, I'll not dispute that but to say just KW made us more solid at the back is bōllócks. Hutch being in front of the back four did as much if not more for our solidity as proven in the last match against QPR when he wasn't there and we were left wide open down the middle. 

That is far too much sense there for Owlstalk !!

It was a collective effort to shore us up at the back, if Dawson had been in goal from January it may not have been as good but it would still have been good !!!

Dawson is a good young keeper with potential to play at a high level if managed properly, using Westwood for us and him !!!

6 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Also Joe Lolley linked with Villa for £15M from Forest. 

Didn't even notice him through the season at all but he played every single game scoring 11 and assisting 11. 

Which makes me laugh (or cry!) when certain posters reckon we should be happy to accept £4-5m for Reach, who got 8 goals and 7 assists last year!