Why aren't we selling?

2 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand how we can continue to buy/loan players without selling.

Players reach a peak, players move up the ladder. 

Surely Reach and FF are as valuable as they will ever be again and frankly we need money from a business perspective. Selling some assets at this mid table points wise position is a much better way of getting serious income into the club than c1867.

Birmingham are in the same boat as us I think but worse in, they are not selling players because they are not allowed to replace them, add to that they are pushing for the top 6.

If we were the same I would kind of understand the policy but we have a wage bill around the £25-30m mark we have Abdi, Hooper, Lee, Jones, Winnall, Nuihu, JVA, Wildsmith and a host of other lesser paid players probably somewhere in the region of £100,000 - £200,000 a week in wages of players that never play or barely play that £5-£10m a season in wasted wages.

I understand the club policy of loaning players out with the loaning club playing 100% of the wages but some of the wages our players are on are silly amounts.

If we had an offer for Abdi, Jones, JVA, Winnall ect and they only wanted to pay £10,000 of their wage instead of the full wage then that would still save us £500,000. We need a lot more money but we have to start somewhere. Waiting until the summer will mean we have wasted another £5-10m on wages this season.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I would imagine two things:

1. Bruce and DC know that whilst we can’t really afford to splash the cash, they also recognize the only valuable players we have are ones which would really damage the squad. With incomings likely to be limited, they want to retain the talent we do have. I can imagine that was part of the agreement for Bruce taking the job.

2. there was either no interest in buying, or no value in selling for the values mentioned - remember that we would need to pay significant amounts to the players we sell which would reduce the impact of the fees, so cut price sales don’t make sense. We need revenue faster than we need wage bill reduction

I don't understand the bit I've highlighted. Can you explain what you mean?.

1 hour ago, Mister Soul said:

I find it frustrating that some people don’t  recognise the possibilities of this league. Every year a team (or two) put significant runs together. 11 points (off play offs) is nothing in this league with a little motivation to some of the excellent players we have S6!

oh hold on we have a very motivated manager just got to his desk and 3 new players too! 

Positivity goes a long way! 

I'm all for poitivity but I'm also a realist.

The club in 6th is on target to get 75-76 points so assume we need 76 for the play offs. We currently have 35 so we need 41 from 18 games. 18 x 3 = 54

We can only afford to drop 13 points between now and the end of the season. Put another way we need 2.27 points per game. The league leaders have so far mamaged just less than 2 points per game.

Don't forget that is just to get in the play offs which only gives a 1 in 4 chance of promotion.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I can understand why none of our bigger name players have gone out, those who are key to the way the manager wants to play, they stay because Bruce needs to assess them. Others, who probably won’t feature much, are probably on prohibitive wages, and we supposedly don’t contribute much.

Where I think we’ve let ourselves down, is by not getting some of the younger players out. There’s probably about 7 or 8 of them who could have gone out to clubs in leagues one and two They need to be tested at a higher level than the U23s, and the knock on effect would allow some of the U18s to step up a level. 

Does it really help Baker, for example, hanging around as a third choice right back?

Agree with all of this . It’s totally pointless keeping them doing nothing in the reserves . Forest have sent three players to my local club Mansfield , and they are flying . They have sent others elsewhere too. These lads will never amount to anything if at 21/22 they have no experience . 

Players like baker and preston would really benefit from some much needed lower league experience 

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Why arent we loaning any kids out either?

I can't understand this either.

I have it on good authority that Mansfield Town were interested in borrowing 2 or 3 of our kids.:wacko:

56 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Bruce said in another interview yesterday that he knows he'll have to sell a few.  

Last summer the sale of Jack Hunt appeared to go towards the embargo being lifted. Maybe the EFL have told us that any player sales in the summer can be used to offset this seasons FFP/P&S breach. 

Apart from no acceptable bids being received I can't think of any other reason why we haven't sold in January.

I reckon that’s the case too. It’s pretty clear that the embargo’s remain negotiable and it all probably hinges on how well you can demonstrate compliance for the following two seasons. So selling players in the summer would be the same as in January, although obviously better to not go in embargo at all or sell in June rather than August.

4 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

As the EFL have authorised the deals yesterday, they must be happy with our financial forecast/plan going forward, otherwise they'd not have sanctioned the transactions, surely?

They havent seen this years books yet

3 hours ago, torres said:

The reason is nobody wants them or wiling to pay anywhere near what the club value them at. 

If you were a premier league team would you sign any of them?

If clubs think they are not above Championship standard and their wages are well above the average, there will be no bids and no willingness to move. Some people have predicted this on here before.

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

They havent seen this years books yet

They have, however, been in constant dialogue with the club regarding our future financial plans - and previous deals (even contract extension offers) have had to be ratified by them first, so they'll be fully clued up.

The EFL are hardly going to waste their time in dialogue with us - millions over the S&P rules - and then let us add £40k/week to the wage bill and spend more on transfer fees.

Would be pretty amazed if the EFL haven't seen the fact we've got about £10m a year wages dropping off our books in the summer and advised us to curb out spending - which yesterday's deals are in comparison to previous years.

I genuinely think Chansiri has got his eyes set on promotion this season the way we’re going about things. We’re in massive financial trouble, need 10+ million to scrape by without an embargo so we go and sign 3 players on deadline day without shifting anybody on. Its damaging, short term thinking that put us in this position and he’s still carrying on with that strategy if you can even call it that. We won’t go up and we’re going to be in a mess this summer.