Why aren't we selling?

35 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We must have biggest playing squad in the Championship. Really need to find a way to prune the squad and get the wage bill down.

Only opportunity is when contracts expire. Nobody else will take them. Big summer ahead.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I can understand why none of our bigger name players have gone out, those who are key to the way the manager wants to play, they stay because Bruce needs to assess them. Others, who probably won’t feature much, are probably on prohibitive wages, and we supposedly don’t contribute much.

Where I think we’ve let ourselves down, is by not getting some of the younger players out. There’s probably about 7 or 8 of them who could have gone out to clubs in leagues one and two They need to be tested at a higher level than the U23s, and the knock on effect would allow some of the U18s to step up a level. 

Does it really help Baker, for example, hanging around as a third choice right back?

Might have been wise not to send some of the players out on loan. Send a kid like Neilson or O’Grady out and they get enough league appearances for them to be considered a pro under whatever soft embargo terms we can agree with the football league. Then we have to use them next season instead of someone we might want/be able to bring.

Dunno, but it’s possible (if we even think that strategically at the club).

Basically were in a mess next season financially. Even if we sell Reach for £10 million we might/probably still end up with an embargo. So he might just be thinking, keep our best players, hope we don’t get a points deduction, and have a go next season. 

All just guess work though.

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Might have been wise not to send some of the players out on loan. Send a kid like Neilson or O’Grady out and they get enough league appearances for them to be considered a pro under whatever soft embargo terms we can agree with the football league. Then we have to use them next season instead of someone we might want/be able to bring.

Dunno, but it’s possible (if we even think that strategically at the club).

Yes that’s a good point Though the policy Jos had, of introducing so many into the group, goes against that idea. Certainly, our youngsters at U23 level, have proven in recent years to be on a par with United’s, and they sent 8 of theirs out to get experience. 

Edited by gurujuan

We're going to lose a lot of players as their contracts finish.  The money will have been "written off" by both the club and the EFL as part of their monitoring process.

We are a few bob short of meeting present targets, as are many others, but an upping of the 39m to a more realistic 60m (the original limit was set in 2014) or an extension of the rolling years from 3 to 5 would see ours and others' shortfalls ease somewhat and in the meanwhile DC has continued to demonstrate by his recent actions (late night rant and 1867) that he is has been doing everything the EFL require of him for the long-term good of the club and to stay within the present rules.

The more I think about it, the more faith I have in our FFP advisor(s).

Edited by sonofbert2

Guest The Horse
41 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Very , very inflated salaries. 

Got badly mugged.

It's really that simple.

A player's valuation might be met but no-one will be willing to match the wages.

Why take a pay cut whilst living just minutes away from the beautiful Peak District?

1 hour ago, Peacenocchio said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand how we can continue to buy/loan players without selling.

Players reach a peak, players move up the ladder. 

Surely Reach and FF are as valuable as they will ever be again and frankly we need money from a business perspective. Selling some assets at this mid table points wise position is a much better way of getting serious income into the club than c1867.

maybe bruce wants a look at what we have, and a ground sale in the offing?

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes that’s a good point Though the policy Jos had, of introducing so many into the group, goes against that idea. Certainly, our youngsters at U23 level, have proven in recent years to be on a par with United’s, and they sent 8 of theirs out to get experience. 

I think Jos playing all those players would have been previous to any kind of planning for a soft embargo. I’m not saying it’s true but it’s a theory that just occurred to me, but a very sensible move if it were true.

Obviously we have a poor history of sending players out either way. Baker is definitely one that should have gone but maybe the Iorfa thing just happened too late to sort anything out. If that fell through then no back up for Palmer. I can see the benefits of a week loan window here in order to sort things out after the business is done.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

It really does baffle me. After what DC said in the latest forum about what a mess we are in and a further transfer embargo. You don’t think DC is so naive to think we will go up this season so we will be okay for next season? Surely he can’t realistically be thinking that. 

I honestly think he does, he said at the press conference yesterday that we would do our best to get as high in the table as possible and said similar last year when Luhukay was brought in.

Bruce said in another interview yesterday that he knows he'll have to sell a few.  

Last summer the sale of Jack Hunt appeared to go towards the embargo being lifted. Maybe the EFL have told us that any player sales in the summer can be used to offset this seasons FFP/P&S breach. 

Apart from no acceptable bids being received I can't think of any other reason why we haven't sold in January.

1 hour ago, debram said:

Perhaps no one is interested in reach and ff at the price we would want plus their wage demands, same may go for a few more of our players?

If DC really did price FF at 14m then there is the answer.

As for the likes of Boyd / Jones / Nuhiu - who would want them ? Why would they want to go somewhere else and earn less money ?

Guest domSWFC

I'm surprised we got loans at this stage. I understand the Iorfa signing, but not the loans. Bringing in players like Iorfa who are young, pacey and strengthen our weakest position is perfect. Get players like this in whilst we can, before the inevitable embargo. 

The loans could see us forced into a hard embargo and then leave offering us nothing. 

Maybe Chansiri hasn't given up on the playoffs yet, and this is one last push. 

Other clubs need to be interested in order to offload - it seems a lot of our fans forget this. But also, in the grand scheme of things, offloading now or in the summer makes no difference as far as i'm aware? We're breaching FFP in March anyway, so why not continue as is and let Bruce use what he has at his disposal + the 3 that he's just signed. 

And also, the laughable thing about some Wednesday fans is, they p*ss and moan about not offloading anyone...and then p*ss & moan when it turns out Winnall might depart. 

3 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

And also, the laughable thing about some Wednesday fans is, they p*ss and moan about not offloading anyone...and then p*ss & moan when it turns out Winnall might depart. 

The candlelit vigil when Jack Hunt left was shameful.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, torres said:

I'm disappointed we didn't sell Reach if i'm honest.

His value was at the most it's going to be and i was hoping for once we would cash in while a player was at their premium price 

Quite the opposite view from me.

I think it will take Bruce 5 minutes to realise that Reach is at his best wide, and we will see him go from strength to strength, be part of a more successful period for us, and that his value will continue to increase.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Quite the opposite view from me.

I think it will take Bruce 5 minutes to realise that Reach is at his best wide, and we will see him go from strength to strength, be part of a more successful period for us, and that his value will continue to increase.

I wanted to sell purely for the financial side  - i was hoping his wonder goals would have put his value up to a premium and FOR ONCE we sell at the right time.

Hopefully you are right and he improves - i have my doubts though