Why aren't we selling?

I'm sorry but I don't understand how we can continue to buy/loan players without selling.

Players reach a peak, players move up the ladder. 

Surely Reach and FF are as valuable as they will ever be again and frankly we need money from a business perspective. Selling some assets at this mid table points wise position is a much better way of getting serious income into the club than c1867.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand how we can continue to buy/loan players without selling.

Surely Reach and FF are as valuable as they will ever be again and frankly we need money from a business perspective. Selling some assets at this mid table points wise position is a much better way of getting serious income into the club than c1867.

Perhaps no one is interested in reach and ff at the price we would want plus their wage demands, same may go for a few more of our players?

• Like 2

It really does baffle me. After what DC said in the latest forum about what a mess we are in and a further transfer embargo. You don’t think DC is so naive to think we will go up this season so we will be okay for next season? Surely he can’t realistically be thinking that. 

4 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Bruce said he wanted to assess the sqaudd over the next few months, so maybe that's why we aren't selling at the moment. 

Were probably hoping for some players getting some good form back and raising their price tags, with a good run of results enabling us to sell a few and do some wheeling and dealing come the summer. 

3 minutes ago, torres said:

The reason is nobody wants them or wiling to pay anywhere near what the club value them at. 

If you were a premier league team would you sign any of them?

This, a midtable PL side just beat Chelsea 4-0. Would any of our players get into their squad? I doubt it. 

And our players performance against Chelsea wasn’t exactly a good advert for paying £8m+ for any of them.  

Our best hope is Bruce can improve them for us and make them a top 6 side next season 

• Like 1

I would imagine two things:

1. Bruce and DC know that whilst we can’t really afford to splash the cash, they also recognize the only valuable players we have are ones which would really damage the squad. With incomings likely to be limited, they want to retain the talent we do have. I can imagine that was part of the agreement for Bruce taking the job.

2. there was either no interest in buying, or no value in selling for the values mentioned - remember that we would need to pay significant amounts to the players we sell which would reduce the impact of the fees, so cut price sales don’t make sense. We need revenue faster than we need wage bill reduction

As much as I think we ought to have been trying to sell a player or two in order to alleviate our P&S issues, we could only have done so if decent offers had come in, which may well not have happened. I've seen no suggestion that any of our players were attracting serious interest.

At least now Bruce will get a chance to work with our squad and assess the players' value for himself.

Maybe we are so far over FFP limits that selling our players won't matter. We're going to get hit by an embargo anyway so we might as well have our current players at the club rather than young cheap kids who we don't know and might not be that good. An embargo is an embargo whether your 1million over or 20 million over. The current squad can play regardless of any outgoings. We just can't sign anyone. If we are not permitted to sign a player better than Reach for example because of monetary constraints then why let him go if it doesn't solve the issue? It's not like the bailiffs will come round and take players off us. 

Just now, latemodelchild said:

Maybe we are so far over FFP limits that selling our players won't matter. We're going to get hit by an embargo anyway so we might as well have our current players at the club rather than young cheap kids who we don't know and might not be that good. An embargo is an embargo whether your 1million over or 20 million over. The current squad can play regardless of any outgoings. We just can't sign anyone. If we are not permitted to sign a player better than Reach for example because of monetary constraints then why let him go if it doesn't solve the issue? It's not like the bailiffs will come round and take players off us. 

Yeah lets bring on that points deduction.

Its only money.

35 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Im pleased we didn’t sell Reach or Bannan. Our two best players by such a long way.

FF’s value is on the floor right now. Would have been equivalent to selling him at the depths of a house-price slump. Lets get him back up and running (literally) first, and then he gets some value back.

Edited by Holmowl

An embargo is inevitable, DC knows that. He should also know that we will still be able to sign players regardless as we will be under the 24 man squad rule. This will allow us to bring in 4/5 players in the summer. There is a reason we have paid a premium for Bruce.... his contacts. Whilst we will still have to bring in players within the set budgets of the FFP ruling, who better to have in charge of doing this than Bruce? There is also a reason certain players were given new contracts this season Joao/Bannan because if we are under a long term embargo then we can’t give out new long term contracts I believe. So why sell your best players now when you can’t replace them now or probably in the summer? Or have I got my understanding all muddled up?

• Like 1