Matt Penney

Ronio

Thought he recovered well after a poor first half in which he looked way out of his depth. Got caught out for the first goal and it seemed to shake his confidence.

Needs to be braver on the ball and not just look for Thorniley / Dawson. When he was braver he looked much better for it...but it takes cahunas

10 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

He got rinsed first half and his positioning in a flat back four is pretty poor. He's not been playing that role long though so willing to cut him some slack. Much better second half. 

Positioning is something that often comes with experience. Hopefully with good coaching it will get better quickly.

He needs to not watch tapes of Palmer though, he just hasn't got any better. Liability today.

He absolutely got rinsed for 25 minutes.

He was up against the best player he has come up against, and he won’t face many better all season. Then, for 65 minutes, he coped. That’s superb adjustment from a kid. 

First half especially he was negative on the ball. Always turned back and inside. Second half he grew in confidence and made two fabulous incisive runs through their midfield. Love to see much more of that.

Hugely promising player. Brilliant to see him learning so much and so quickly. Nowhere near the finished article but you can see him being a nailed-on first pick and worth an absolute bundle.

14 hours ago, vulva said:

1st goal was his fault. He allowed Ince to turn him far too easily. Far better player with the ball in front of him. 

Bit harsh saying the goal was his fault. Yes Ince did him but that was 5 yards inside their half and with us having at least  6 or 7 players behind the ball at that point and no immediate danger. Sure, that started off their move but it was a collective failure ultimately with them passing the ball straight through our midfield and then passing it straight between our centre backs who were all over the shop. Agree that he looks comfortable with the ball in front of him (and its definitely early days re whether he will cut it or not)  but I liked the way he kept at it and Ince was very quiet second half (perhaps because they had spotted Palmer as a weaker link... )

Guest Kagoshimaowl

He got totally done by Ince for their first goal but I thought he was superb after that. Just wish there was another decent left back at the club which would allow him to be rested every so often without weakening the team.

3 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Bit harsh saying the goal was his fault. Yes Ince did him but that was 5 yards inside their half and with us having at least  6 or 7 players behind the ball at that point and no immediate danger. Sure, that started off their move but it was a collective failure ultimately with them passing the ball straight through our midfield and then passing it straight between our centre backs who were all over the shop. Agree that he looks comfortable with the ball in front of him (and its definitely early days re whether he will cut it or not)  but I liked the way he kept at it and Ince was very quiet second half (perhaps because they had spotted Palmer as a weaker link... )

Complete nonsense that he is to blame for Stoke's first goal. It is true that he pushed high to press Ince and got turned, but he stuck to him and tracked back.

It started move that resulted with us conciding, but to say Penney is to blame for that goal is simply not true.

Half of the team were at fault for the first goal and the start in general.

Having Afobe & Ince up against our two newer lads was always going to be a test for them.

The key was stopping the excellent Woods receiving the ball and using it better ourselves, which we did for most of the second half.

Part way through the first half Bully was jesturing to Bannan about giving Penney protection, which seemed to work.

Both Penney and Thorniley are excellent prospects that need encouragement and help now and again.

• Like 1

Yesterday he seemed to have a massive lack of confidence, which is kind of understandable with him only having played a few competitive games. 

The amount of times he could have overlapped and caused a double up on their full back but didn’t was so frustrating. When he actually started doing it he caused them no end of problems. He just seemed to want to stand still and pass back to bannan all the time. It shows he can do it when he wants to but seems lacking in confidence. 

However on a more positive note I’ve never see a left back so effective at stopping crosses. 

Happy enough with his defending to say hes new to it all. However to say he used to be a left winger and has a brill delivery/set pieces, he doesnt really show it! 

I wanna see more taking players on and putting a ball in the box. Too many times did he cut back in and give the ball to Bannan. That run in the 2nd half was rolling back to the glory days of JJ and good ol' ettiene esajas! Id also like to see him on a few free kicks (although bannan scoring that beauty yesterday might squash them ideas!!)

Edited by S26 Owl

18 hours ago, Stevelknievel said:

I think Penney handled him well until Ince went off...

oh hang on Ince didn’t go off, Penney just made it look like he did.

lol

As addedtime rightly said, Ince had him on toast early on. He got much better as the game went on and had the confidence to make a couple of good forward runs. The making of a good player is all about experience and he's learning fast.

4 hours ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

This....Tom Lees was in no mans land for both their goals

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Yesterday was his 4th/5th 1st team game, and yet there were 'Fans' who were calling him for mistakes he made?.

You just cannot make it up.

I thought he was at fault for the first goal. That doesn’t mean he didn’t have a good game, looks a good prospect etc. 

How many games does a player have to have played, before mistakes are highlighted? Is it like Fight Club where no one can say anything until he gets to 100 games?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1