Away games, a closed shop?

I've got the perfect answer to end all this bickering:-

Ban all away support at every ground.lol

But, seriously, I can't think of a fairer way of allocating away tickets.

And I only have about 500 TTP's.

Edited by oldtawnyowl

11 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Luton Town did ban Away Support from Kenilworth Road in the Mid 1980's Only to scrap it a few months later.Personally,I've no real problem with the current arrangement. :tango:

I'm not going to Forest and my ID. wasn't used but I've got a ticket for Villa. 

I go to just over 50% of away games and all cup home games which helps boost points. Hardly ever let someone use my id and still never missed out on tickets, even derby game at bramall lane. 

Edited by bradowl

1 hour ago, Mishowl said:

I know a couple of lads that have bought and sold tickets to both Forest and Villa. They had no intention of going but knew someone would snap their hand off given the small allocation and they get to keep their points up.

Just because someone buys a ticket doesn't necessarily mean they attend the game. 

Giving ids to others is something that needs stopping if anyone does it and gets caught their points balance should go to zero. It simply is a way of queue jumping. 

So after 20 odd years ...

If it's not the number of seats available, it's the cost. It would be nice to have the time and money to do most away games. I know some people do, but it just isn't an option for me at the moment. Sadly, I can't see anything changing for me soon 

It’s a good system but it needs improvement. I’d make the following changes immediately as there is some abuse (points harvesting) going on.

Your ID can only buy the category it is intended for

Dont turn up and lose your points 

10% of allocation for a ballot of STH and gold members.

This will stop,  (most recent example being Reading away) the few hundred buying kids tickets on their ID and not travelling. It’ll also make ST and gold memberships more attractive purchases too as everyone will have a chance of attending an away match of their choice

1 hour ago, oldtawnyowl said:

It wouldn't surprise that will be the final outcome, away fans are seen as an inconvenience nowadays and are slowly being managed out.

5 hours ago, danblakemore said:

I was wondering if it was only me that starts to see away games as something I might not get to anymore due to ticketing structures?

Villa away is the latest example of how many points you need to get a ticket and how if your not a multi-year season ticket holder with numourus away points you have virtually no chance of going. 

What seems to be the modern trend of being able to go for some one like me (1 year season ticket holder) Is to borrow someone else's points, and by you going, you actually give them more points, thereby enhancing the closed shop...

I don't know the answer, but it's a shame that many fans might not be able to get to many away matches soon.

Sorry, sounds a bit negative... I'm not really negative lol

Out of interest how many points do you have?

19 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

So you could buy a child's ticket for a match like reading away, not go and get 10 points... Wow. 

Sounds like the system works a treat then! 

I am not sure that true,,

I will try and buy a cheap over 60  ticket and see what happens..

stop making excuses up ,ie leeds away ,reading away you could have all got tickets for that , go to cup games to gain points then your points will soon start going up , there will be other games what wont sell out ie Bristol city . the points system aint perfect but its pretty much the fairest system , only thing what I think may be fair is have a much wider points gap for certain away tickets . ie 9am Monday 650 points 2pm 600 points tues 9am 550 points that way some can get tickets easier but also protecting the ones what attend cup matches and go to at least 60% of away games . 

Loyalty reaps the rewards. As it should.

The England supporters club have a caps system, similar to the TPP one. It used to be 2 caps for an away match and one for a home match.

The FA, in their infinite wisdom, changed it to 2 caps for a home game once. Just to fill & pay for the new Wembley. This didn't last long.

Ultimately, this meant that the most loyal, travelling away, got more caps & better access to tickets. Even more important when it came to tournament tickets.

It wasn't possible to use or swap ID's either, as away match tickets always had to be collected in person, with ID, at a hotel in the away city.

We went to every home & away qualifier, plus friendlies, in the run up to France 2016, which guaranteed us tournament tickets. Pity we were shyte & went out to Iceland! Likewise with Brazil in 2014.

Never had any intention of going to Russia before we did, but probably spent less buying tickets on the street there, than we would have going to all the qualifiers. Bit ironic really. Saved £70 membership & a load of hassle & travel for 2 years, but still ended up at the finals. 

Basically, anybody following Wednesday home & away, midweek and weekend deserves first dibs on any tickets. Especially in these days of TV coverage where matches are played at much more random & awkward times.

• Like 1