Away games, a closed shop?

1 hour ago, danblakemore said:

Fair point, but kinda backs up one i'm questioning.

Playing devils advocate, why should i have to go to Ipswich on a Wednesday night to be 'awarded' with the opportunity of buying a ticket for Villa away? 

Because it would be more unfair for the person who travelled to Ipswich when you didn’t to miss out - simples.

im not someone who would go to Ipswich on a Wednesday night either by the way - but i understand why it’s fair that some other people are rewarded for loyalty.

It's not a poor old me thread, or bash the true fans brigade... 

I was genuinely wondering if others thought it had become a closed shop and whether there was any better alternatives (I also don't have the answer)

It does seem a shame however that some parents can't take there children to away games due to not having the same points. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

You're bang on and make very valid points

No he doesn't and I get sick of hearing this.

Had a Season ticket for 6 years this time around. About 3 seasons ago my lad became old enough to take to away matches but we couldn't go to the likes of Forest, etc. because we didn't have enough TPP's. Even the season before last we didn't have enough points to go to Villa, much to the boy's disappointment. We built our points up over time going to the early league cup games home and away, Cambridge away was the first one. This was followed by trips to Birmingham away and Norwich, plus a variety of other non-attractive games that didn't sell out either due to distance or because they were on sky. Cardiff is another example and I'm willing to bet now that Swansea doesn't sell out this year either.

Eventually, we had enough points to go to Derby, Forest, Villa, L##ds, Rov'rum and so on because we supported the team on the road over time. It's funny how this always crops up when it's Villa away, or Forest, or one of the newly relegated Premier league clubs. Makes me sick to hear all the whining about fans that do go regularly to the away games by those that just want to go to the big matches.

Instead of complaining that it's a closed shop etc. these people should be complaining to the club about the shocking away allocations we receive from clubs like Forest, Villa, L##ds and almost every other team when in return we seem happy to give them an advantage when the come to Hillsborough by allowing them to have the entire West Stand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pod9 said:

This is completely a myth. 

After playing non league for the past 15 years, it’s only the past three seasons that I have began watching Wednesday again. 

I have had a ST for the past two years but POTG for most of the season before. 

I went to all the rubbish, mid week games and any games that didn’t sell out. Now I have almost 800TTP. 

Ive travelled to Ipswich on a Wednesday night. 

Unfortunately, this is what you have to do if you want to go to Villa, Forest, Pigs etc. 

Bang on pal.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

This is far from ideal but I’ve sat with the home fans in their family section with my young lad at several aways.

Always easy to get tickets, it’s cheap, and I’m not going to get my face stoved in If we score a 93rd minute winner and I forget myself. My son quite likes it too, but of course no substitute for being in the Away end.

Its always interesting to overhear home fans talking about our players.

Done it at Villa , did it at forest last year and will be again next week . It makes me keep my gob shut which is no bad thing ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Done it at Villa , did it at forest last year and will be again next week . It makes me keep my gob shut which is no bad thing ! 

I did it v Forest in the 2-1 Abdi cracker game.

When Abdi scored a Forest Dad stood up (in the kids zone) and reeled off 20 seconds of angry filth. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Steelman said:

No he doesn't and I get sick of hearing this.

Had a Season ticket for 6 years this time around. About 3 seasons ago my lad became old enough to take to away matches but we couldn't go to the likes of Forest, etc. because we didn't have enough TPP's. Even the season before last we didn't have enough points to go to Villa, much to the boy's disappointment. We built our points up over time going to the early league cup games home and away, Cambridge away was the first one. This was followed by trips to Birmingham away and Norwich, plus a variety of other non-attractive games that didn't sell out either due to distance or because they were on sky. Cardiff is another example and I'm willing to bet now that Swansea doesn't sell out this year either.

Eventually, we had enough points to go to Derby, Forest, Villa, L##ds, Rov'rum and so on because we supported the team on the road over time. It's funny how this always crops up when it's Villa away, or Forest, or one of the newly relegated Premier league clubs. Makes me sick to hear all the whining about fans that do go regularly to the away games by those that just want to go to the big matches.

Instead of complaining that it's a closed shop etc. these people should be complaining to the club about the shocking away allocations we receive from clubs like Forest, Villa, L##ds and almost every other team when in return we seem happy to give them an advantage when the come to Hillsborough by allowing them to have the entire West Stand.

Exactly

The fans that have given the most support to the club over a 3 year period - get the first opportunity to get tickets  - If you think that is unfair then i'm not sure what you want!!

• Like 2

As a fan who goes to almost every home and away game I would be very cheesed off if sheff United sold out for example And I missed out to 100’s of fans who have been to the odd game, this system is the fairest way of rewarding fans who go to the likes of Swansea away etc with priority of first dibs on tickets. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Claw said:

I have two brothers were all on different points, we have to wait till the point match the lowest - if we miss out tough, that the way it is.

There are about 12 of us that go to away matches all on different points.

It looks like 6 or 7 will miss out on Villa but they are the ones who have been to the least amount and they completely agree with the system.

• Like 1

As always whatever system the club adopt someone will be unhappy and there will be potential abuse of it! Always worth going on the reserve list though personally I've had a 70% success rate on that. The current system seems fair but some people don't like playing by the rules!

I am in a similar position, have season tickets for me and my lad, I have more points than him so have to wait for available day. Usually miss out as forest and villa. Bloody annoying but as others have said it is a fair system, we go to the cup games and some away games and end up in the home ends as can't get tickets in away end. 

I do think it is the allocation that we are given being the real issue.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BIG D said:

3+ year season ticket holders should get first crack at away tickets. 

Although I go to enough games anyway to qualify for tickets for pretty much every away game, I would be happy with this system!

29 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Away ticket priority should be done based on owlstalk reputation points.:ph34r:

Although I go to enough games anyway to qualify for tickets for pretty much every away game, I would be happy with this system!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Forest game sold out on 5th September. On 5th September, people with 560 points could buy tickets, so if you have had a season ticket for the last two years, only 10 extra matches you would have needed to have a chance of buying a ticket for Forest. Not exactly closed shop.

In fact, I don't go to away matches any more, and I have 480 points so including 2 cup games over the last two years, so that's just 8 extra away games over the last two seasons I would have needed to give me a chance of buying a ticket for Forest. If I went to all 5 cup games over the last two years on my membership then just 5 away games.

And there are opportunities to go, some surprising. Two seasons ago was the last time I went to an away game, Wolves and Preston, both 3pm kick off (Preston was NYE the Wolves match a Saturday) and both went to general sale. Reading and Brentford this season looks like it went to general sale and Wigan looks like it sold out at 490 points.

I have little issue with TPP and you can increase your TPP if you really want to and don't just want to go to all the local matches. If there was anything, maybe anything further than 100 miles you could give 20 points? Midweek away games add 10 points (so 20 for <=100 miles, 30 for more than 100 miles)? But other than that it's a fair system

• Like 2