Away games, a closed shop?

I think there’s a difference between something that’s unfair and something that’s just a bit of a shame. It would be nice if regular fans who just wanted to experience the odd away game could do so without first having to traipse to Ipswich on a Tuesday, but then we have a large support visiting relatively small grounds so the current system is the fairest (albeit open to certain abuses).

Edited by Sonny

This is far from ideal but I’ve sat with the home fans in their family section with my young lad at several aways.

Always easy to get tickets, it’s cheap, and I’m not going to get my face stoved in If we score a 93rd minute winner and I forget myself. My son quite likes it too, but of course no substitute for being in the Away end.

Its always interesting to overhear home fans talking about our players.

• Like 1

its fine as it is

people who go away the most get the option to buy first,as it should be ,as others have said there's plenty of less 'exciting' games that don't sell out ,buy one .

if you don't wanna go ,buy the ticket then sell it on,you still get the points and get your money back .

they'll be plenty of away games this season that'll make general sale

24 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

Fair point, but kinda backs up one i'm questioning.

Playing devils advocate, why should i have to go to Ipswich on a Wednesday night to be 'awarded' with the opportunity of buying a ticket for Villa away? 

Err lets have a think about it for a minute 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

I think 5% of tickets should be general sale for majority of games The United game and play offs should use the priority points only . This would ensure the diehards get the reward there support deserves but also means a small percentage get a chance to go away 

Leeds 30 miles up the M1 will not sell out, there a away match you could visit...

50 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

I was wondering if it was only me that starts to see away games as something I might not get to anymore due to ticketing structures?

Villa away is the latest example of how many points you need to get a ticket and how if your not a multi-year season ticket holder with numourus away points you have virtually no chance of going. 

What seems to be the modern trend of being able to go for some one like me (1 year season ticket holder) Is to borrow someone else's points, and by you going, you actually give them more points, thereby enhancing the closed shop...

I don't know the answer, but it's a shame that many fans might not be able to get to many away matches soon.

Sorry, sounds a bit negative... I'm not really negative lol

The answer is to make some a small percentage available to everyone i suggested 10 percent of the allocation which to me is much fairer than the current system the regular awayers get the bulk the rest have to do the queuing 

• Haha 1

This topic crops up every now and again. Usually when someone decides that they want to make a big away game their first trip for ages and then seem surprised when people who have been going away regularly get priority for tickets.

The TPP system is fair and it really doesn't take much to get enough points to get tickets for most if not all away games. Way better than the old system, for example I went to the majority of away games in 1990-91 and 2011-12, but when it came to the big end of season games at Oldham and Brentford I missed both because I couldn't get a ticket due to people wanting to be there for their first away game of the season. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

The answer is to make some a small percentage available to everyone i suggested 10 percent of the allocation which to me is much fairer than the current system the regular awayers get the bulk the rest have to do the queuing 

Or... we can leave the fairest viable system alone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

So you are prepared to give 10% of our allocation to Bramall Lane and Rotherham to people who might never have been to watch Wednesday in the past 10 years,,?

I understand the policy in place for away games, I don't agree with it but I know why the club do it. The only problem is they are not promoting the away game to grow the following all that will happen over time is less and less will go. When a lot of fans can't go to week end games or midweek games, or you don't live in Sheffield so you go to the away games near where you live to support your team but you cannot attend because you haven't gone to enough home games at £40 a pop.

With the changes a foot with sky why are fans going to waste hundreds of pounds to build these points up when they can just watch it on tv at a fraction of the price. 

Nothing beats the atmosphere of the games but the clubs not just ours seem to have forgotten without fans in the stands supporting the team the stadiums go very quiet. 

Football is at a pivotal point in it existence and this change from fan to customer could be the death of the game. 

• Haha 1

New season ticket holders will always be at the back of the que.

They could introduce a ballot system, this is the way Elite Racing Club deal with owners badges and paddock places when they have horses running which is most weeks ,your success in a ballot depends on whether you have been lucky enough to be successful in previous events.

They don't have a problem with this system and have 10,000 members it never causes concern to membership.

So there is another way that is fair

1 minute ago, akbuk said:

New season ticket holders will always be at the back of the que.

They could introduce a ballot system, this is the way Elite Racing Club deal with owners badges and paddock places when they have horses running which is most weeks ,your success in a ballot depends on whether you have been lucky enough to be successful in previous events.

They don't have a problem with this system and have 10,000 members it never causes concern to membership.

So there is another way that is fair

How can it be fair if your success depends on being previously successful?