Away games, a closed shop?

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

And as ever what about the 20 year old 2nd year st holder with no commitments and oodles of spare cash to waste on Football because Mumsie and Daddy pay all his expenses and subsequently has all the points necessary against a 30 year st holder on minimum wage that can maybe afford the odd away game except he cant because he cant get a ticket for the less expensive games ( travel costs etc ) wheres his loyalty being rewarded ? ( not me by the way before that accusation is thrown ) 

A small amount put to general sale leaving the vast bulk in the points system would be fair to everyone imo

Am I right thinking that you were crying about this very same thing on Football Heaven a few weeks ago?

So what if a 20 year old with no commitments can afford to jizz all his money on away days, it's what young people do. "Mumsie and Daddy", what are you on? You're talking out of your arris mate.

You really think that a small proportion out of the poxy 2,000 allocations we get for the likes of Forest, Villa, Pigs, Mini Pigs, should go on general sale for those that can't be bothered to go to Swansea, Reading, Bristol etc. is a good idea?

I beg to differ.

• Like 2

As always there’s more than meets the eye and you could never have a totally fair system.  Selling some at Hillsborough is no good for fans living far away, for instance.  I was in the first tier 2 seasons ago, but for a combination of reasons I’ve slipped down.  

My parents can’t go to away anymore as they can’t stand.  That means we take them to an average of 3 away games each year in the home teams hospitality.  I don’t get any points for that.  The 2 mates I go to the away matches with can’t make certain games due to work commitments, so I chose not to go on my own.  As a result, they are in a lower banding than me, so I have to wait til it drops to their banding before buying our tickets, so I occasionally miss out there.  I don’t buy a ticket if I am not going to the match. A mate of mine buys a kids ticket for every away game if he’s not going, so his points are now the same as mine.  Personally, I think I’m depriving another fan of a ticket so I don’t do that.  

With all that said, I don’t see a better option. You could put a few on sale at the ground, but that really could lead to crazy queues if it’s a big game.  I do wish more were made available though.  Trips like Fulham were superb, almost unlimited tickets and a good day out anyway.  Villa and Reading for example could have given us more. 

48 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

It is an issue for me.

I live in Essex and used to go to all the London, East Anglia games etc.

But now I can't.

Norwich last season was my only match.

FFS.

Can understand it being hard at Brentford but surely you could have got a ticket for Fulham, QPR, Reading, and Ipswich last year? Loads spare at all of these

Edited by dani_armo

4 minutes ago, dani_armo said:

Can understand it being hard at Brentford but surely you could have got a ticket for Fulham, QPR, Reading, and Ipswich last year? Loads spare at all of these

I don't understand it either then.

The Norwich tickets were posted to me by a season ticket holder.

I could not buy anything from SWFCs website.

To be honest though I have massive problems buying anything  online.

When I complain they tell me the website is fine.

FFS.

9 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Thought the previous was the best. If you REALLY wanted to go, you had to haul yer backside down and camp on Penistone Road in the early hours in the queue.

Bit old school though - had to be changed, mainly for health and safety if nothing else.

Modern school, it's the only way as you said.

04.30 to queue for Brentford away in play offs. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

I don't understand it either then.

The Norwich tickets were posted to me by a season ticket holder.

I could not buy anything from SWFCs website.

To be honest though I have massive problems buying anything  online.

When I complain they tell me the website is fine.

FFS.

Haha it is useless tbf 

• Haha 1

Just travel anyway, you’ll always get in Rarely do I manage to get a ticket beforehand, but I always manage to get in Haven’t Man Utd been doing it for years? How many championship games actually sell out? Hardly any, and most clubs have contingency arrangements for away fans turning up without tickets. 

I think that the current system is fair enough; albeit open to abuse. I’ve been to every London away match for the last few years; Fulham had a “Neutral” stand next to the away stand that was always full of Wednesday. Millwall and QPR went to general sale. Brentford I’ve always had to go in their stand but the first block of the New Road stand has a few away fans in it. Owlstalk is always a good option for picking up the odd ticket too. With 15k season ticket holders as the life blood of the club it is understandable that they get first pick of the premium away days. It will be interesting to see what away attendances are like for midweek matches covered by iFollow in the next few months.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Just travel anyway, you’ll always get in Rarely do I manage to get a ticket beforehand, but I always manage to get in Haven’t Man Utd been doing it for years? How many championship games actually sell out? Hardly any, and most clubs have contingency arrangements for away fans turning up without tickets. 

Like what for example?

6 minutes ago, Watto said:

Like what for example?

Like giving us an allocation of, say 2,200, but with an actual capacity to house substantially more At the end of the day, the police don’t want groups of away fans roaming the streets. To be honest, I’ve often found the police extremely helpful, when it comes to gaining entry when turning up ticketless

This is always a tricky subject, it doesn't affect me because I'm not allowed to go to away games any more

Whenever Wednesday are on the up, like now, we get threads like this

But when we are struggling we never see these threads

I've been to many horrible grounds like Yeovil where there has been plenty of spare seats, we can't sell our allocation then

Do we say to someone who has followed us home and away for 30 or so years, that they've got to have a break and give the casual supporters a turn

Like I said, there will always be someone who is upset, it doesn't really concern me any more

And no, you can't borrow my I.D.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

This is always a tricky subject, it doesn't affect me because I'm not allowed to go to away games any more

Whenever Wednesday are on the up, like now, we get threads like this

But when we are struggling we never see these threads

I've been to many horrible grounds like Yeovil where there has been plenty of spare seats, we can't sell our allocation then

Do we say to someone who has followed us home and away for 30 or so years, that they've got to have a break and give the casual supporters a turn

Like I said, there will always be someone who is upset, it doesn't really concern me any more

And no, you can't borrow my I.D.

When does your ban end?

• Haha 1

I do see the OP's point and it's a system that I occasionally end up on the wrong end of, but I still support it as the fairest way of doing it. Living far away I don't get to as many away games now, but I still managed to get a ticket for Wigan on opening day. Admittedly I've had a ST for a fair while but you just have to go to non-glamorous/cup games and you'll get there.

3 hours ago, Hawkowl said:

It is an issue for me.

I live in Essex and used to go to all the London, East Anglia games etc.

But now I can't.

Norwich last season was my only match.

FFS.

Reading your post it appears that you don't attend any games at Hillsborough and only wish to go to watch the Owls when they play in London or East Anglia.

WTF gives you the idea that you should take any priority for these games over someone who goes regularly to Hillsborough and follows the team all over the country.

FFS.

I used to be a never miss an away gamer ... I've now been to 2 in the last 2 years. 

I thought the system was fair when I went every week, it ensured I could keep on going. Now I'm sort of locked out of the 'Club' in effect. Don't really care as I chose to stop going to away games, no one made me. 

Fairest way to do it imo 

• Thanks 1