Best (Most Effective) Loan Player That We Never Ended Up Signing On A Permanent Deal

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

At the time Ian Turner on loan from Everton played very well for us when we needed a good keeper but instead of signing him on a full transfer we allowed him to return to Everton and we never saw him again.

We didn't have much choice about it they needed him.

Forgot the two that we are now not allowed to touch in Batth and Marshall both good standard pro's with that would be an improvement on what we currently have in the squad. Its no coincidence that when Norwich signed Rhodes on Loan the next player they got was the guy that set up his goals at Blackburn.

Batth not blessed with pace, has good leadership skills and for me would have been a perfect captain for the team as well as bringing on the kids around him. He the sort of guy you want in the team when you need to grind out a result or keep the other team out.

18 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Eric McMordie for me.

Me too. Probably would be for most older fans.

Wonderful player, we were dross before he came and dross after he left. If he had stayed we wouldn't have been relegated. I seem to remember there were rumours that after the loan spell he came back to Hillsborough with his boots wanting to play for us. He would be released from his contract so we could sign him free. He didn't even want big wages.

We turned him down for some reason and the rest is history.

I've no idea if it was true or just one of those rumours.

23 hours ago, No Uniform said:

Ross Barkley was obviously class. But we actually looked worse with him in the team. It was not setup at all for the way he played. Wickham was so good for us. I remember when we signed Allan Johnston and Lee Bradbury, along with Proudlock. They pretty much saved us from relegation that season.

We went down that season.