Best (Most Effective) Loan Player That We Never Ended Up Signing On A Permanent Deal

Ross Barkley was obviously class. But we actually looked worse with him in the team. It was not setup at all for the way he played. Wickham was so good for us. I remember when we signed Allan Johnston and Lee Bradbury, along with Proudlock. They pretty much saved us from relegation that season.

2 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Kenwyne was fantastic for us. I don't think a short term loan has ever had such an impact?

7 goals in 7 games wasn't it?

I kept dreaming of a Kenwyne return up to the day Nixon was peddling it 3yrs ago. 

28 minutes ago, Watson said:

Neil Mellor did his bit and should be mentioned in despatches 

Thought he was ours

Connor Whickam for me , made a massive difference to us at the time , seems to be either injured or out of favour nowadays

14 minutes ago, No Uniform said:

Ross Barkley was obviously class. But we actually looked worse with him in the team. It was not setup at all for the way he played. Wickham was so good for us. I remember when we signed Allan Johnston and Lee Bradbury, along with Proudlock. They pretty much saved us from relegation that season.

Wasn't that the season we went down though lol

15 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Kenwyne was fantastic for us. I don't think a short term loan has ever had such an impact?

7 goals in 7 games wasn't it?

54 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Turner.  no win in 9.  undefeated in 11 when here.

2 months here on loan. Recalled to play against Man Utd.

5 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Not the greatest player we ever had but I think he was man of the match every game he played for us.

No he wasn't technically .. but an absolute monster when we had the likes of Maddix and Westwood dicking about

Also Turners stats; 8 wins, 3 draws in 11 games played for us. Absolutely unreal. Included one of the best away days i've been to, Leeds when we won 3-2. Brunt bagging from just past halfway line with Whelan and JJ both scoring screamers ... Barmy Army for 45mins in second half! scenes.

• Like 1

Kenwyne is the obvious one but Turner isn't far behind

The way his career has gone downhill since we had him is amazing (or whatever the negative equivalent of amazing is!)....couldn't get a game at none league Tranmere last year and now at Southport (although that is a slight improvement on where he was before those !)

At the time Ian Turner on loan from Everton played very well for us when we needed a good keeper but instead of signing him on a full transfer we allowed him to return to Everton and we never saw him again.

We also should have tried to sign up Wickham was not getting any look in at Sunderland and was never going to do anything there, he came on loan to us and the face fitting he did really well then not too long after that he was getting time in the Sunderland first team then shortly later he was sold for £8m to Crystal Palace had we have signed him up for a few million we could have made a decent profit it we had sold him on.

We have had a lot of good loan defensive players but we seem to struggle getting in good offensive players other that Jones and Wickham, Barkley was hardly here very long before Leeds nicked him.