Most memorable game

3 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

1 ) Beating Both Man Utd and the Gruntbags at Wembley in the 1990's

2 ) Boxing Day Massacre 1979

3 ) League Cup QF 1985 v Chelsea 4-4 Draw

4 ) Cardiff City 2-0 win away 1983/84 Season to end our 15 year exile from the top flight

1 hour ago, Mr Meadows said:

Technically it was Palace home, 1-0 that ended our exile... not the first match I went to, but the first I can really remember and still one of the most memorable.

Other ones, aside from the 2 at Wembley you mention..

Chelsea home league cup semi... the realisation we’d made it to Wembley, still get goosebumps thinking about that night

blackburn away 4-2, league cup semi final

Kaiserslautern

man u 3-3 , Boxing Day 

Arsenal home, big Ron’s return as manager

more recently..

brighton away, play off semi

Amazingly went to all those games and can't disagree with any of your choices.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Halifax Owls said:

Seen a few great games, many of which have already been mentioned however one that sticks out in my memory was the 2-2 draw v Oldham Athletic. I think we were 2 down and Sherri got a brace of penalties to force the draw.

That game for various reasons had always stood out for me.

I would also add the 2-2 at home with Oldham in League 1 when Sheridan came out of retirement for Oldham and made Pirlo look like a Sunday morning footballer. Clapped off by all four sides of Hillsborough at full time 

One that hasn't been mentioned, was our 1-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield under David Pleat

It was no less than we deserved. I think Liverpool were unbeaten at home for something like 13 months in the league and we went and put in a complete performance. The only chance I remember they had was when Pressman almost gifted Jason McAteer a goal from a dreadful clearance. His attempt hit the bar and then Fowlers header was well saved

Booth I think hit the woodwork twice in that game, James made several good stops (including one from Steve Nicol, a former Liverpool legend) and Steve McManaman was marked out of the game by Peter Atherton. Peter Athertons best game for the club

FOr the younger ones who never saw that game, it was better than the complete performances at Newcastle 2 seasons ago and Aston Villa last season. The only negative (if there is from a win) in those performances was we won by one goal. The end result flattered the opponents

4 hours ago, grandpaowl said:

Not sure whether this has been done before but noticed a few recent threads on the history of our club. First game remembered and old photos of the ground in the 50's. To take this nostalgia trip a bit further. What's your most memorable game?

As an older contributer mine would have to be an FA cup 3rd round replay in 1969 against what was then the mighty Leeds United. We had held them to a creditable 1-1 draw at Hillsborough and then travelled to Elland road for a midweek replay on the 8th of January.

Leeds were flying high and we were not expected to progress against a team containing Bremner, Lorrimer, Charlton, Gray and Jones etc.

A 48,000 crowd saw the Owls fall behind after 7 mins to a goal from Johanneson but from then on the Owls dominated with Vic Mobley and the squire of Stockbridge, Peter Eustace both playing blinders and snuffing out the Leeds midfield and attack. We had been forced to play a young reserve, 20 year old Brian Woodall after injury to David Ford in the first game. He finished up having a dream debut scoring 2 with big John Ritchie on the scoresheet as well. My most memorable moment was seeing Eustace ambling over to take a corner and booting it straight over the roof on purpose. It had the Owls fans in raptures and the Leeds fans silent. What a night.

Needless to say we were knocked out In the next round at Birmingham after another replay. Went to that one as well but couldn't get in the ground until after half time due to the number of Owls fans who travelled.

johanssons goal  and woodall celebrating his  1st ….what a night that was 

image047.jpg

f46c75ff0f0e546cbc2eeae45f27a7d5.jpg

3 minutes ago, katie melua said:

One that hasn't been mentioned, was our 1-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield under David Pleat

It was no less than we deserved. I think Liverpool were unbeaten at home for something like 13 months in the league and we went and put in a complete performance. The only chance I remember they had was when Pressman almost gifted Jason McAteer a goal from a dreadful clearance. His attempt hit the bar and then Fowlers header was well saved

Booth I think hit the woodwork twice in that game, James made several good stops (including one from Steve Nicol, a former Liverpool legend) and Steve McManaman was marked out of the game by Peter Atherton. Peter Athertons best game for the club

FOr the younger ones who never saw that game, it was better than the complete performances at Newcastle 2 seasons ago and Aston Villa last season. The only negative (if there is from a win) in those performances was we won by one goal. The end result flattered the opponents

Great game. Guy Whittingham with the winner. Loved an important goal, Whittingham.

32 minutes ago, torryowl said:

johanssons goal  and woodall celebrating his  1st ….what a night that was 

image047.jpg

f46c75ff0f0e546cbc2eeae45f27a7d5.jpg

Les Cocker shook every Owls players hand at the end of the game,Pete Eustace was MOM by a country mile,every pass was good,he broke up play,intercepted,won headers he was just on fire that night

Okay in chronological order here goes:

Feb 1967 away at Blunts. It was my first ever Wednesday match but because I lived on Wostenholm Rd I wasn't allowed to go to Hillsborough and the family friends who watched football were all Blunts. I was 7 at the time.

November or December 1971 v Norwich. My first visit to Hillsborough. Game ended 1-1 but I was in love!

FA Cup 5th Round v Chelsea we lost 1-2 but was first time I'd seen Hillsborough relatively full (crowd was 47k).

Man Utd 1974 the infamous 4-4 draw

Same season away at Boro. Lost 8-0 and I got beaten up by Boro' fans. I was still 14 and it was my first proper away match (Bramall Lane doesn't count as I only lived 5 minutes walk away!)

BDM for obvious reasons

Return at the Stain with TC's wonder goal

Promotion season in 83/84 so many stand out games but special mentions to home v Newcastle (4-2) and away at Man City (2-1), Liverpool in the League Cup (both games)

84/85 the League Cup Quarter Final v Chelsea 4-4

Away at West Ham in 1990/91 season. Won 3-1 with probably the best away performance I've ever seen from us

Finally, finally winning a trophy in 1991

Cardiff in 2005 the play-off final.

League cup v Chesterfield in 2010 just for the penalty shoot out!

4 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

For some reason Man Utd at home on Boxing Day 1992.  We were winning 3-0 but it ended up 3-3.  It was an absolutely classic game of football.

Totally agree. It's one of the best football matches I've ever been to. It was sheer drama.

12 hours ago, grandpaowl said:

Not sure whether this has been done before but noticed a few recent threads on the history of our club. First game remembered and old photos of the ground in the 50's. To take this nostalgia trip a bit further. What's your most memorable game?

As an older contributer mine would have to be an FA cup 3rd round replay in 1969 against what was then the mighty Leeds United. We had held them to a creditable 1-1 draw at Hillsborough and then travelled to Elland road for a midweek replay on the 8th of January.

Leeds were flying high and we were not expected to progress against a team containing Bremner, Lorrimer, Charlton, Gray and Jones etc.

A 48,000 crowd saw the Owls fall behind after 7 mins to a goal from Johanneson but from then on the Owls dominated with Vic Mobley and the squire of Stockbridge, Peter Eustace both playing blinders and snuffing out the Leeds midfield and attack. We had been forced to play a young reserve, 20 year old Brian Woodall after injury to David Ford in the first game. He finished up having a dream debut scoring 2 with big John Ritchie on the scoresheet as well. My most memorable moment was seeing Eustace ambling over to take a corner and booting it straight over the roof on purpose. It had the Owls fans in raptures and the Leeds fans silent. What a night.

Needless to say we were knocked out In the next round at Birmingham after another replay. Went to that one as well but couldn't get in the ground until after half time due to the number of Owls fans who travelled.

Yes, I remember that game as well... it was shown on tele later the same evening with David Coleman presenting the show.

Eustace got booked for booting the ball out of the ground. The commentator said “ he won’t care about that”... great memories.

13 hours ago, Mickjj said:

Was at both the Leeds and Brum games. And while obviously great memories of Wembely and Cardiff, my most memorable game was the 5-4 Man United game with Jack Whitams four goals.

Yes that was also mine, Mickjj, didn't John Ritchie get the other, I think we were losing 3.1 at half time, they had just won the European cup also, 

11 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

1974 vs Man Utd
Final Score 4-4
The club set up several "distractions" to cut down on the trouble Man Utd fans were causing on the season long charge back to Division 1 (relegated to Div 2 but went straight back to Div 1 never to be relegated again)...
They had a race at 1/2 time with a famous (but can't remember who) runner...
Owls were winning at one point and the Man Utd fans swarmed the field trying to get the game abandoned...
In the end 4-4 was a great result given how crap we were that season... 
Sat in back row of Leppings Lane stand that season...

You must have been near me my uncle and grandad then.We always stood up on the back row of the West stand and are in silhouette on a lot of photos taken from the kop end during games.That was a great game a real peanut in the Sheeite of a season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie irvine said:

Yes that was also mine, Mickjj, didn't John Ritchie get the other, I think we were losing 3.1 at half time, they had just won the European cup also, 

Yes Big John got the other while Dennis Law (2) ,Bobby Charlton and George Best scored for them. The game was real end to end stuff with the scoring going 1-0, 1-1, 1-2,  2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4, 5-4.

I went..you can see my little blonde head bobbing up and down in the crowd.

But the good thing was it was ITV and you knew everyone else was watching it on TV...and probably the blunts as well

Jack Charlton on co-commentary...and we had a defender who it turned out could attack like Ronaldo

flippingsmashed them.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Like 1