Most memorable game

Not sure whether this has been done before but noticed a few recent threads on the history of our club. First game remembered and old photos of the ground in the 50's. To take this nostalgia trip a bit further. What's your most memorable game?

As an older contributer mine would have to be an FA cup 3rd round replay in 1969 against what was then the mighty Leeds United. We had held them to a creditable 1-1 draw at Hillsborough and then travelled to Elland road for a midweek replay on the 8th of January.

Leeds were flying high and we were not expected to progress against a team containing Bremner, Lorrimer, Charlton, Gray and Jones etc.

A 48,000 crowd saw the Owls fall behind after 7 mins to a goal from Johanneson but from then on the Owls dominated with Vic Mobley and the squire of Stockbridge, Peter Eustace both playing blinders and snuffing out the Leeds midfield and attack. We had been forced to play a young reserve, 20 year old Brian Woodall after injury to David Ford in the first game. He finished up having a dream debut scoring 2 with big John Ritchie on the scoresheet as well. My most memorable moment was seeing Eustace ambling over to take a corner and booting it straight over the roof on purpose. It had the Owls fans in raptures and the Leeds fans silent. What a night.

Needless to say we were knocked out In the next round at Birmingham after another replay. Went to that one as well but couldn't get in the ground until after half time due to the number of Owls fans who travelled.

Edited by grandpaowl
Predictive text errors
  • Like 3

3rd April 1993. Back home from where I lived in Austria during my degree. Mum and dad picked me up from airport and dropped surprise on me that I was off to Wembley the day after as they'd bought me a ticket. Didn't expect it but obviously delighted I went! Loved driving past disappointed snorters back up the M1.

For games at Hillsborough I think it was probably the 5-1 Hull game in the sun in 1990.

When we got hammered at the etihiad

7-0 a couple of seasons ago. 

Why? Met Chris waddle in the corporate lounge before the game. Treated me with the most respect of anyone I have ever met and then sat next to me and the missus to watch the game.

Dream come true

Edited by poite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grandpaowl said:

Not sure whether this has been done before but noticed a few recent threads on the history of our club. First game remembered and old photos of the ground in the 50's. To take this nostalgia trip a bit further. What's your most memorable game?

As an older contributer mine would have to be an FA cup 3rd round replay in 1969 against what was then the mighty Leeds United. We had held them to a creditable 1-1 draw at Hillsborough and then travelled to Elland road for a midweek replay on the 8th of January.

Leeds were flying high and we were not expected to progress against a team containing Bremner, Lorrimer, Charlton, Gray and Jones etc.

A 48,000 crowd saw the Owls fall behind after 7 mins to a goal from Johanneson but from then on the Owls dominated with Vic Mobley and the squire of Stockbridge, Peter Eustace both playing blinders and snuffing out the Leeds midfield and attack. We had been forced to play a young reserve, 20 year old Brian Woodall after injury to David Ford in the first game. He finished up having a dream debut scoring 2 with big John Ritchie on the scoresheet as well. My most memorable moment was seeing Eustace ambling over to take a corner and booting it straight over the roof on purpose. It had the Owls fans in raptures and the Leeds fans silent. What a night.

Needless to say we were knocked out In the next round at Birmingham after another replay. Went to that one as well but couldn't get in the ground until after half time due to the number of Owls fans who travelled.

Went to the game at Hillsborough and was stood at the side of some leeds fans on the kop which was common in those days and I can still remember them gloating and telling me that was the end of us at the end of the game. Seem to remember the highlights on TV as well of the replay and Brian Woodall, what a night he had.

• Like 1

Man Utd at home 1968, they're European cup winners side, we won 5.4 and will always remember seeing best law and charlton etc.......we had Jack Whitham ....one of my first matches and maybe sadly 50 years later still one of the best

1974 vs Man Utd
Final Score 4-4
The club set up several "distractions" to cut down on the trouble Man Utd fans were causing on the season long charge back to Division 1 (relegated to Div 2 but went straight back to Div 1 never to be relegated again)...
They had a race at 1/2 time with a famous (but can't remember who) runner...
Owls were winning at one point and the Man Utd fans swarmed the field trying to get the game abandoned...
In the end 4-4 was a great result given how crap we were that season... 
Sat in back row of Leppings Lane stand that season...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

1 ) Beating Both Man Utd and the Gruntbags at Wembley in the 1990's

2 ) Boxing Day Massacre 1979

3 ) League Cup QF 1985 v Chelsea 4-4 Draw

4 ) Cardiff City 2-0 win away 1983/84 Season to end our 15 year exile from the top flight

Technically it was Palace home, 1-0 that ended our exile... not the first match I went to, but the first I can really remember and still one of the most memorable.

Other ones, aside from the 2 at Wembley you mention..

Chelsea home league cup semi... the realisation we’d made it to Wembley, still get goosebumps thinking about that night

blackburn away 4-2, league cup semi final

Kaiserslautern

man u 3-3 , Boxing Day 

Arsenal home, big Ron’s return as manager

more recently..

brighton away, play off semi