#SWFC NEWS | Mansfield report racist abuse offence to police and FA

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This thread is embarrassing. Really.

If I was @OWLSTALK I’d consider shutting debate on this topic down - especially seeing as the accusation is not just disciplinary, but criminal.

Nah keep it

Edited by unkastav

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm also quite enjoying the "racist or not, it's just a bit of name calling" strain of argument.

It's as if the 1970s never ended for some people.

Ah good, thought it was just me that could see at least 4 separate posters indicating that racist insults should go unpunished, and that it's just part of the game. 

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This thread is embarrassing. Really.

If I was @OWLSTALK I’d consider shutting debate on this topic down - especially seeing as the accusation is not just disciplinary, but criminal.

Just wait until you read the pinned adversity togetherness thread, where we as a fanbase talk about how racism accusations can bring everyone closer together.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, trask43 said:

Just wait until you read the pinned adversity togetherness thread, where we as a fanbase talk about how racism accusations can bring everyone closer together.

Absolutely no excuse for racism.....none. But the togetherness thread isn’t condoning racism, it’s simply a rally call following Wednesdays statement imo.

The club have denied that a racist comment was made, I know that’s not conclusive, but you’d hope that Wednesday have conducted their own thorough investigation for them to be able to “vehemently” deny the accusation. 

I’d like to think that they’d have taken action already if indeed it had come to light that something was said. 

Perhaps I’m being naive, it could be just a case of a club protecting an asset and team mates sticking together. But given the diverse squad that we have, I hope we’ve gone about this in the right way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Absolutely no excuse for racism.....none. But the togetherness thread isn’t condoning racism, it’s simply a rally call following Wednesdays statement imo.

The club have denied that a racist comment was made, I know that’s not conclusive, but you’d hope that Wednesday have conducted their own thorough investigation for them to be able to “vehemently” deny the accusation. 

I’d like to think that they’d have taken action already if indeed it had come to light that something was said. 

Perhaps I’m being naive, it could be just a case of a club protecting an asset and team mates sticking together. But given the diverse squad that we have, I hope we’ve gone about this in the right way.

Largely agree, my comment was mostly in jest but like most things surrounding this its very fine lines either way.

3 hours ago, pressy said:

Theres never smoke without fire and so i fear the worse   looks like the wheels have fallen off our season without a ball being kicked   going to be a long season.

So if I said you touched me in my special place some part of it must be true... No smoke without fire eh? Utter crap! Anyone can say anything for no reason let alone redirecting attention away from violent misconduct, which I think is a pretty good motive for fabricating a story about a racist remark.

* I'm not saying the racist remarks were an invention of Mansfield players or factually correct just shooting down the "no smoke without fire" argument.

So the investigation will reveal that some Mansfield players heard something that was racist and the Wednesday players will not have heard anything untoward said. 

The problem is it will take the police first and then the FA months to reach this astounding conclusion. Dealing with a set of individuals who are footballers and not language or grammar experts doesn't help.

Sadly as always mud sticks and this can only have a negative impact on us unless Jos uses it as an opportunity to create a siege mentality ie everyone is against us.

5 hours ago, thatladfromchap said:

Tbf Pearce did look really really REALLY annoyed as he walked off the pitch.. and Spanish speaking nations are long renowned to be quite flippant with the old racial insults...hope its not true but wouldnt surprise me if it is. Depressing stuff.

Reads like you've already made your mind up........................................well done.

Bit odd six days after the event.

They must have really been simmering on it

Not sure what good it will do anybody. 

Players from opposite sides will have different versions. 

Referee would be the man to ask.

But if he heard it it would have been a red for Fernando and the FA and possibly the police would have already been on the case.

4 hours ago, pressy said:

Theres never smoke without fire and so i fear the worse   looks like the wheels have fallen off our season without a ball being kicked   going to be a long season.

Would hate for you to be on a jury,christ,to hell with evidence,he did it,bang him up.

3 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

Owls don't have a track record for protecting players...Swann, Layne, Kay and Di Cannio... All shybo off a shovel ! 

So they are going to round up a load of witnesses from the Mansfied team and then we'll respond and say the opposite.  Without close up video with sound or the service of a lip reader, how is this going to be proven either way.

Unless one of our players heard FF be racist and is a law abiding citizen.

For a criminal conviction, the police have to prove there was an offence “beyond all reasonable doubt”. I understand the burden of proof on the FA in a disciplinary is lower, requiring only “on the balance of probabilities”. 

What I suspect will happen is much the same as with John Terry- Forestieri will avoid a criminal conviction but receive a lengthy ban from the FA.

5 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Owls don't have a track record for protecting players...Swann, Layne, Kay and Di Cannio... All shybo off a shovel ! 

wtf nev ….swan & layne went to prison and were banned sine die what did you expect the club to do? . ...once the ban was lifted they had them back , I don't see what els the club could have done .  

11 hours ago, 83owl said:

We need to stand by him wether he’s found guilty or not. Look at where taking the moral high ground has got us in the past? We lose players for peanuts and then they go on to be world beaters or big transfers. Everyone bangs on about Liverpool fans and the club being so great etc yet Suarez went around racially abusing people and biting people and they stood by him. Club legends wearing t shirts saying justice for Suarez etc. A year later they get 70million or whatever it was for him. 

Like it it or not, right or wrong if you have morals and play by the rules in football then you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage, which we cannot afford to do in our situation.

Nah mate, if he's guilty I'd rather not have a racist in the team. 

I think our black players would feel the same.

Personally I would value doing the right thing rather than Premiership money at all costs.

Liverpool's defence of Suarez was stomach turning, no way would I want that type of character at my club, I dont care how good is he is.

• Like 1