#SWFC NEWS | Mansfield report racist abuse offence to police and FA

38 minutes ago, coreyswfc said:

Why would it make him racist just for one remark because he saw red. I bet he has plenty of black friends. 

One racist remark actually does make him a racist.

If you have that language in your vocabulary , and use it when you are angry and you aren't thinking, you are still a racist.

If he has black friends, then I don't really think they are going to be best pleased IF it transpires he made the comment. 

Same as being drunk doesn't excuse racist abuse, neither does being angry. 

Some very revealing attitudes in this thread.  

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

wtf nev ….swan & layne went to prison and were banned sine die what did you expect the club to do? . ...once the ban was lifted they had them back , I don't see what els the club could have done .  

Could have at least sent a cake with a file in it ffs. 

• Haha 2

I think it is perfectly possible to say things you don't believe.

Isn't that true?

If I think the thing that will hurt you the most is to call you a blade, I might call you a blade. If I knew this were wrong I might not do it or only do it under extreme provocation. It is possible to say this even if I know you are an Owl. It is possible to say this even if I don't believe you are a blade.

The same is possible with racist words. Is that not true?

The words you say are not always what you are.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

So everyone who disagrees with your opinion is now a racist. Very mature.

Everyone who makes excuses for racist behaviour, or agrees that in certain provoked circumstances it is acceptable to make a make racist comment , are probably racists. That's my opinion.

I think it's a pretty mature opinion to be honest, formed over 49 years of living.  

I don't mean to belittle anything but, when does name calling become a legal matter?

Can Hooper press charges if someone calls him ''Fatty''?

Can Bannan press charges if someone calls him ''Midget''?

If someone called you a ''piggy'' would you ring the police??

All seems a little bit childish to me 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Nah mate, if he's guilty I'd rather not have a racist in the team. 

I think our black players would feel the same.

Personally I would value doing the right thing rather than Premiership money at all costs.

Liverpool's defence of Suarez was stomach turning, no way would I want that type of character at my club, I dont care how good is he is.

If he was a racist I think our black player's might know. 

Not being funny but how come if he has it in him why has he never been accused before with all the years of him being smashed around the football pitch for years ? I am sorry to say this but sometimes when things don't go an individual's way they play the race card as I like to call it and make poo up that didn't happen. It happens on a daily basis in our society. Look at the jay Rodriquez issue last season. He is a racist because the Brighton full was in his face and his breath stank ? Come on

Edited by owls_wawaw

26 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Fundamentally disagree with the first part of your post. If y set any circumstances at sally no matter what level of provocation you revert to insults of any nature that are racist, sexist, homophobic etc you have are a racist, sexist, homomphobe etc. Deep down inside you no matter how hard you try if you have those tendencies they will surface. If provoked there are plenty of insults that can be used that don't refer to race, sexuality etc, but if you revert to using one of them, by definition you are. I sincerely hope ff hasn't used a term like that but if he has I want him gone immediately. There is no place in society let alone football for behaviour like that.

And there's no place in any walk of life on that drop kick on Tom Lees. Pity Wednesday aren't taking the stance as those at Mansfield. Not saying two wrongs make a aright but I wonder what Mansfield motivation is for lodging formal complaint with the league and the Police. Provocative remarks, dirty tackles unfortunately are part and parcel of the game, but very rarely complained about unless it's the ref at the time who takes appropriate action, which wasn't in this case. Tin pot club looking to try and get one over on one of the 'big boys'. Smacks of the small man syndrome all over. Why Wednesday ever arrange friendlies with these sort of local clubs god only knows. By the way what sort of other insults can you use and not get into bother. Is it down the line of 'My mums a better cook than your mum'. FFS

10 minutes ago, torres said:

I don't mean to belittle anything but, when does name calling become a legal matter?

Can Hooper press charges if someone calls him ''Fatty''?

Can Bannan press charges if someone calls him ''Midget''?

If someone called you a ''piggy'' would you ring the police??

All seems a little bit childish to me 

Making an offensive comment based on a persons race, colour or nationality is illegal because by nature it presupposes supremacy can be based on race, colour or nationality. That's the law.

We haven't had wars and slavery based on small people versus tall people or fatties v skinnies.

What you say is important because you have to know what is racist before you can have the debate.

• Thanks 1

Clearly a lot of these posts will be from white folks, assuming it’s at all representative of matchday crowds on here. That’s good, it’s an issue EVERYBODY should discuss a lot more. But in terms of trying to define what does and doesn’t count as racism, I strongly feel that unless we frequently find ourselves targets of it - either casually or in a more insidious institutionalised way - then the only suitable thing is to listen carefully to those who do.

Regardless of how broad or narrow, liberal or strict, ANY blanket statements on here re: what should count as a definition make for inherently uncomfortable reading given the inferred demographic.

For those of us who aren’t regularly on the receiving end of racially unfair treatment and prejudice, then I’m sorry but it shouldn’t be up to us to say what bevaviours are/are not racist in 2018 UK. I love to see us all discussing it openly; it’s not only appropriate but urgently necessary.

Still I’d be very wary of making any bold or definitive claims unless we really know what we’re talking about, and the (presumably pretty vast) majority of us on here ought first and foremost to acknowledge - while being fully entitled to ask, suggest and listen, as full and important participants in the debate - that in truth we do not.

17 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I’ve said it in other threads, but IF he did make a racist comment it doesn’t make him a racist. We need to back him, but if he is found guilty he needs punishing accordingly. Not justifying anything, I just think anyone is capable of saying the wrong thing in the heat of the moment. Sad situation all round. 

I do just want to say I am genuinely surprised at some of the excuses in this thread and others. Ones like how can he understand Spanish’s. It’s pretty damn easy when someone is making a racist remark especially in a language such as Spanish where people will know the words. 

Others stating it’s just words. It Afeels like we are living 30 years in the past. Anyone that has had this kind of abuse or comments thrown at them will tell you it ain’t just words and feels completely different to other insults. I’m amazed that people don’t understand that these words can carry hate and division. The reason they can dig so deep is because it’s rooted in history. To me I see it as someone saying I’m better than you because of the colour your skin. Having seen it and experienced it in the past it’s almost impossible to keep calm like you can easily in other situations. 

I do however think this could have been handled better by Mansfield though. Some kinda of mediation rather than making a complaint to the FA and police. They are completely within their rights to do so though.

Just make sure we report their player/players for assault. Don’t deal with Mansfield or Flitcroft again. No loans, no friendlies etc. 

It’ll be almost impossible but hopefully the truth comes out. Even if found guilty I’d like the club to stick with Fernando and go down the proper channels. Even though he will know better. Nowadays in these situations clubs and employers go down training and educating paths. That, along with a fine/gesture to charity would help the situation IF guilty.

I want to plus this post but don't want to be labelled a racist :ph34r:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

If you have that language in your vocabulary , and use it when you are angry and you aren't thinking, you are still a racist.

If he has black friends, then I don't really think they are going to be best pleased IF it transpires he made the comment. 

Same as being drunk doesn't excuse racist abuse, neither does being angry. 

Some very revealing attitudes in this thread.  

Thats a dangerous line to take.

Just cos he may have said one racist word it doesn't make him a racist.

Now.... the way I look at it sometimes when you have been provoked, angered, enraged it eventually gets to boiling point. So if you have been provoked to the point where you pop SOMETIMES things get said that you don't necessarily mean but you say it in order to try and anger, hurt another person. 

So IF he said what he did then yes you could call him a racist, but what extent? Using a word to hurt someone without really thinking of the consequences but trying to hurt someone's feelings. But would you say Fernando would be the type of person who would be violent to someone, physically attack someone.. no I think not.

But the important part for me is the club has stated that they refuse to accept the claims.. So as a Wednesday can we should agree with that. Why defend him if he's a "racist". Is it a dirty word being banded about to try and distract the attention away from the appalling behaviour from Mansfield? The easy option to go for to justify what happened. 

Wednesday say he's innocent, so for me.. I agree.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Clearly a lot of these posts will be from white folks, assuming it’s at all representative of matchday crowds on here. That’s good, it’s an issue EVERYBODY should discuss a lot more. But in terms of trying to define what does and doesn’t count as racism, I strongly feel that unless we frequently find ourselves targets of it - either casually or in a more insidious institutionalised way - then the only suitable thing is to listen carefully to those who do.

Regardless of how broad or narrow, liberal or strict, ANY blanket statements on here re: what should count as a definition make for inherently uncomfortable reading given the inferred demographic.

For those of us who aren’t regularly on the receiving end of racially unfair treatment and prejudice, then I’m sorry but it shouldn’t be up to us to say what bevaviours are/are not racist in 2018 UK. I love to see us all discussing it openly; it’s not only appropriate but urgently necessary.

Still I’d be very wary of making any bold or definitive claims unless we really know what we’re talking about, and the (presumably pretty vast) majority of us on here ought first and foremost to acknowledge - while being fully entitled to ask, suggest and listen, as full and important participants in the debate - that in truth we do not.

I agree with the thrust your sentiments. This is not however just about leaving this to the victims. There will be plenty of the Owlstalk 'demographic' who will have responsibility for ensuring that clearly defined laws and regulations relating to racism are upheld in the workplace and beyond. Don't give anyone the excuse of ignorance because they themselves are not victims.

We must stand by forestieri on this matter ...Christie ..the Mansfield defender is a no mark footballer trying to make a name for himself by using the race card...Mansfield town have to stand by their player because of the racism claim......If he had told forestieri to f##k off back to the falklands you argie Nancy boy....we would have had to laugh it off and get on it....but because it’s down to colour Mansfield and their player smell blood...Well I hope we call their bluff because the whole matter stinks

All the comments on this thread arguing about what is acceptable / not acceptable to say and people falling out over it.

All we really know is that several bad tackles were made, players got irate and a brawl ensued.

Six days later a claim was made by the main instigator of the trouble that a racist remark was made.

This has neither been proved or disproved and likely never will be.

Calm down people WAWAW. 

1 minute ago, Hughdowd said:

We must stand by forestieri on this matter ...Christie ..the Mansfield defender is a no mark footballer trying to make a name for himself by using the race card...Mansfield town have to stand by their player because of the racism claim......If he had told forestieri to f##k off back to the falklands you argie Nancy boy....we would have had to laugh it off and get on it....but because it’s down to colour Mansfield and their player smell blood...Well I hope we call their bluff because the whole matter stinks

Well no we wouldn't because players cant make homophobic comments. And the Falklands aren't Argentinian. Apart from that.....

1 minute ago, Peacenocchio said:

I agree with the thrust your sentiments. This is not however just about leaving this to the victims. There will be plenty of the Owlstalk 'demographic' who will have responsibility for ensuring that clearly defined laws and regulations relating to racism are upheld in the workplace and beyond. Don't give anyone the excuse of ignorance because they themselves are not victims.

Yes that's absolutely true, and not at all what I was attempting to do - hope that was obvious, and I believe it was.

I'm just saying that while debate is very good, most of the posts on above could (and probably should) be prefaced with "I'm absolutely not an expert, but for better or worse I've been understanding/assuming the following from my perspective...", and they'd immediately feel about 95% less uncomfortable.

Maybe Neil can set up an auto-prefix on this thread. lol

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Sorry I don't buy that crap.

It's certainly possible to say something in the heat of the moment to get at someone. 

Doesn't necessarily mean it's something you'd normally say, or ever said before.