#SWFC NEWS | Mansfield report racist abuse offence to police and FA

Let's be as objective about this as we can.

It's ruddy weird that it took five and a half days for Mansfield to launch something official. You would think that had something been said, they would have taken their case to the authorities posthaste. Equally, although FF can get a mardy so-and-so at times, he has never ever struck me as someone who would say anything aggressive towards someone, particularly making a racial remark.

However

You can't help but feel that Mansfield wouldn't have taken the action they're taking unless they felt it was worth taking to the police. It's not smart to make false claims. And as has been said... Pearce looked particularly incensed... well beyond what you'd perhaps expect from the situation as it appeared on first viewing. 

Innocent until proven guilty has to be the mentality... it's how things work in this country. "No smoke without fire" is a potentially dangerous phrase to throw around when accusations like this have been made public. But it seems mad that Mansfield wouldn't be making movements to the authorities unless they were pretty damned convinced that something amiss was said. Hopefully it really is just a case of misunderstanding or mishearing or something. 

If it turns out FF said something racist... he has to go. End of. 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I didn't mean that this was engineered in any way mate - more that he could just get stressed out now it's been reported and just wanna get away from it all

I know, I wasn't replying to you. Hope it won't get to that stage, it hasn't with other seemingly similar incidents with other players recently. He has a young family settled in England.

Be interesting to see how the players in our squad interact with him following this, that is more likely to sway him either way and point towards his overall character.

1 minute ago, darra said:

Googling the Spanish word for black explains a lot.

11 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Unless he was discussing the colour of the new shorts, I can't see why he'd have a random outburst that included the word "black" unless there was a racial connotation to it? :blink:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

There will be other Mansfield players no doubt backing up their captains version of events to deflect from their own behaviour ... 6 days to get their stories straight ... Utter tvvats 

And the Wednesday players will swear blind he didn't say anything racist, so back to square one.

Think the police will have a word with both parties and leave it at that.

FFS this is all we need.

Doesn’t matter whether he’s our best player, if it’s true then he needs to be punished. There is no excuse for racist abuse.

I sincerely hope it isn’t true and it’s a misunderstanding. Either way It’ll stick for a while

I do find it odd that it’s taken Mansfield several days to make this statement. 

Edited by bigdan2003

41 minutes ago, daftpenguin said:

Worrying. As mentioned, innocent until proven guilty etc and I have my doubts as to whether Pearce heard what he thinks he heard, but if it's true I hope we sell Forestieri to the highest bidder. Racism is abhorrent and has no place in football.

Do you really believe that...sticks and stones...there are far worse things in this day and age...Im amazed it upsets people like it does ...many things are said in the heat of the moment and it's pathetic police and fa involved pathetic

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Playing a dangerous game alleging they heard something they didn't though. Serious business making a false statement on something like this and would be able to consider whether they did hear anything in relation to their proximity to the incident in comparison to the referee, it as it appears, he didn't hear anything.

I know that .. But they are undoubtedly as fhick as tuck .. Be very interesting to know if the accusation was made to match officials at the time ... Odds on it wasn't

Sheffield Wednesday are aware of the very serious allegations made following the pre-season friendly with Mansfield Town on Tuesday 24 July.

The club vehemently refutes any form of racist abuse on our part and will vigorously defend itself should the need arise.

SWFC will make no further comment at this time.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, lukestheman82 said:

Was there any proof in the John Terry/ Patrice Evra incident a few years back. 

I genuinely can't remember. 

They had lip readers trying to see what got said but that was a big prem game not a friendly against mansfield

Is it actually a bannable offence to use the word black though?  Obviously the Spanish word for black could feasibly be misheard as the offensive n word when it's not. It's unlikely that that word would have been used positively but it's all about the context.  

3 minutes ago, kazads said:

Do you really believe that...sticks and stones...there are far worse things in this day and age...Im amazed it upsets people like it does ...many things are said in the heat of the moment and it's pathetic police and fa involved pathetic

Maybe the kung fu kicks and rabbit punches painted a dark picture for Mansfield and they have lashed out.