Fletcher to Panathinaikos

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He has good feet as well, see the flick for hoopers goal away at Birmingham. His biggest problem has been his knee.

Age is also a factor. I would have no hesitation on letting him go. For me he's way down the pecking list.

• Like 1

Like most on here I too enjoy seeing Fletch play for us, but in terms of ROI he’s a total luxury that we don’t desperately need at present - and, it seems, can ill afford. Good example of a player I’d still be disappointed to sell to a direct rival at this level, but for the overall good of the club I’d be satisfied to see him accept a move like this.

I think there are a fair few posters not giving Fletcher his due.  He is a very intelligent player and his hold up play if fantastic.  We will never know how much his injuries were impacted by the general fitness and conditioning levels at the club at the time.  It's not like it was just Fletcher injured after all. 

Saying all of this, if we can remove him from the wage bill I would do so.  We have depth in the striking department and I can't see us employing three strikers every game.  If shipping out Fletcher lets us improve at full back or midfield then it has to be done.

23 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Amazing that we’re now talking of Fletcher being below Nuhiu in the pecking list.  It that’s what I like about Jos - that he brings out the best in players including the youth.

I've always said he was signed as cover for Nuhiu…..

• Like 1

If we can sell getting his wages of the overheads could be a saving upwards of £2m any extra like a small fee would be a bonus. We have plenty of options up front.

Maybe now if he goes we can start tying up key players to longer deals. Maybe look to try and move sick note abdi on as well and might free up some room to bring a few in.

As silly as it sounds with the ones that left last season, hunt, rhodes and Fletcher off the wages we could be saving £10m on the wages bill this season.

3 hours ago, cookeh said:

He was fit for most of the 2nd half of last season. December on wards. Wasn't really involved till late on when we changed to a front 3 after Nando got fit tho.

Yeah but then he injured himself sneezing 

Like many others, I think he's a good enough player if he just stays fit, but the wages are the big problem. If this deal happens, it's definitely one of the best for a while. We just have to hope that Nuhiu's resurrection at the end of last season was not a hoax but credited to Jos.

5 hours ago, handworth52 said:

I'd be glad to see the back of a player on 35k a week who spends more time been injured .I'm sure he has 2 more years left on his contract though . The worry is though look at the teams that  played last night ,we are involving so many u23 players to me it's  saying several more will leave . Who knows how deep this black hole is we are in.players started last night who I didn't think were anywhere near the 1st team .

Simple business bud, you need to shift the deadwood the manager dosent deem in his plans first before he can bring his own signings, otherwise signing a load of players in the "Hope" you can get rid of some afterwards can bite you in the buttocks if deals fall through and you can't shift them pushing you over the ffp. Stop panicking I'm sure Jos has a plan. 

I like Fletcher as a player but he is a very expensive option for what he has contributed to our cause.

At the moment it is all about finances and it would be great if we could move him on.

I suspect the non inclusion of him last night was not coincidental and similarly with Abdi and Jones

If we got to the position where we could move out these 3 alongside those already gone it would be a significant help financially with little impact on the field.