Fletcher to Panathinaikos

46 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We need to be very careful not to leave our forward pool too thin.

Only a fool would have Matias as a key part of any plan which involved him playing on that green grassy thing.

Forestieri and Hooper have played as little as Fletcher over the past two seasons.

Joao and Nuhiu are hot now and hopefully will remain so, but both had virtually two seasons where they couldn’t score.

Winnall is injured.

My view is that Fletcher and Nuhiu could share the very arduous targetman role all season. That would leave Hooper, Joao and Forestieri to share the other two wider forward roles through the season. You can see how thin that leaves us already - five forwards in the squad for three starting shirts!

Anything from Winnall or Matias shouldn’t be taken for granted. It would be a bonus.

I don't think we'll have three forwards on the pitch too often - Luhukay seems to be leaning towards continuing with the 3-5-2 he used last season.

Either way, I also thought having Nuhiu and Fletcher as our target men was a good idea, and I think Fletcher has been massively underrated by many on here. His injury has been unfortunate, but he was great for us in his first season with us and was vital in getting us into the playoffs.

Having said that, if Fletcher is on huge wages and another club are willing to pay a fee for him, then maybe allowing him to leave and reinvesting that money elsewhere might be necessary to allow our manager to reshape the squad a little.

The sitter he missed away at Cardiff changed the trajectory of our season last year. 2 nil win against top of league away would have set us up .

He misses too many easy chances and is injury prone.

Another 2m trimmed from wage bill and we have Nuhiu as our big man.

Thanks for the mammories, Steven.

Guest wilyfox

If this move is true, good for us and an opportunity for Fletcher. Warmer winter climate might not aggravate his knee so much enabling him to play more games. Panathinaikos usually qualify for Europe as well, don't they?

No brainer. 

He's a decent player but we've got to offload. 

He's one of the highest earners (was arguably the one who started the move to us paying daft money, though that's not his fault) and we've got to make an effort to trim that wage bill. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, poite said:

I can't believe we still have people who consider matias an option. 

Did ok for Jos last season when given a chance.

52 minutes ago, cookeh said:

He was fit for most of the 2nd half of last season. December on wards. Wasn't really involved till late on when we changed to a front 3 after Nando got fit tho.

you sure about that , I thought he was injured after the brum game he wrongly got sent off and was out for nearly 8 weeks . ………

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

We need to be very careful not to leave our forward pool too thin.

Only a fool would have Matias as a key part of any plan which involved him playing on that green grassy thing.

Forestieri and Hooper have played as little as Fletcher over the past two seasons.

Joao and Nuhiu are hot now and hopefully will remain so, but both had virtually two seasons where they couldn’t score.

Winnall is injured.

My view is that Fletcher and Nuhiu could share the very arduous targetman role all season. That would leave Hooper, Joao and Forestieri to share the other two wider forward roles through the season. You can see how thin that leaves us already - five forwards in the squad for three starting shirts!

Anything from Winnall or Matias shouldn’t be taken for granted. It would be a bonus.

Agree. But presumably we could get someone cheaper in on loan before the window closes. A slightly subsidised loan for Hugill perhaps.

4 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I’d be happy with this.  A striking pool of Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Hooper, Winnall and Matias is pretty damn good if you ask me.  Hope we can get a fee too.

Really? Don't think Winnal is due to feature before October. Matias is very injury prone. Hooper not expected to be fit for start of the season.

Agree no brainer and hopefully not too good to be true. Another like rhodes, winnall, abdi, fox etc that never worked out and never will.

2 year contract would have been far better so hope we're not bothered about a fee either, infact would subsidise wages at a push.

Offload winnall too and hopefully we can loan a young pacy prem forward assuming its not too late.

Thought it was unlikely but if we can wheel and deal, inject some energy and pace and offload 1 or 2 ageing expensive crocks, it could be back on!

:carlos:

Edited by Ash77

I really rate Steven Fletcher and I’m convinced he has a big role to play for us next season...

BUT...

If we have to trim the wage bill ahead of next season and it were a choice between him and one of Forestieri, Hooper, Bannan or Lees, I’d let Fletcher go.

Also that would still leave us with Forestieri, Hooper, Joao, Nuhiu and Winnall as options in attack.

• Like 1