Realistic transfer targets for next season

11 hours ago, BigDaveNuihui said:

Who do you want at club for beginning of August 

A striker to replace the ageing Gary Hooper probably will happen someone like Marriott at Peterborough United 

:picnic:

CB - Frederico Venancio back for £800k. James Collins on a free from West Ham

RWB - Dominic Iorfa on loan from Wolves

LWB - Josh Morris from Scunthorpe or Ben Marshall on loan from Wolves. 

MC - Joe Williams on loan from Everton or David Meyler on a free from Hull. 

RW - Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool (Major Competition for him), or Hakeem Adelakun from Scunthorpe or Harvey Barnes on loan from Leicester.

They are the positions I see us strengthening in the summer. And although Jos is keen to bring down the age of the squad, is it essential we bring in some leaders as well having lost our only natural leader, Loovens, in the summer. That's why I'd make James Collins a top target. He's a leader, was adored at West Ham and they were disappointed when he was released. He'll be in demand, but if we're to make one signing on the expensive side, I'd love it to be him. 

Dominic Iorfa will be available from Wolves, on loan or transfer. Tall, strong, quick, imposing defender who can play right back and centre half. Only 23 years old, has experience in the Championship, and would provide a good option to challenge Hunt for the right wing back position. 

Ben Marshall, although a running joke on here, actually suits us more than ever. Can play either side, and comfortable playing wing back, and as a winger. He'll be available for either loan or transfer. 

If we're to play 3-4-3, we need to bring in a midfielder who can genuinely compete in a two man midfield. Joe Williams impressed in a struggling Barnsley side, and will be much better for a tough season in the Championship. He'd give us youthful legs and aggression in the midfield. David Meyler has been released from Hull and is only 28, despite seemingly been around for a long time. Has played consistently in the Premier League, and has won promotion from this division. His aggression and know how could be crucial. Another player who ticks the leadership box. 

The right winger/right wide forward position needs someone who'll challenge and push Joao. Someone with pace and an ability to score goals. This is an ideal position to bring in some young legs, and all three suggestions cover these bases. Harry Wilson is the stand out performer, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got a Premier League loan this season. Adelakun is raw, but reminds me of an Antonio/Bolaise type of player. He could be worth a lot of money in the future. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, frastheowl said:

CB - Frederico Venancio back for £800k. James Collins on a free from West Ham

RWB - Dominic Iorfa on loan from Wolves

LWB - Josh Morris from Scunthorpe or Ben Marshall on loan from Wolves. 

MC - Joe Williams on loan from Everton or David Meyler on a free from Hull. 

RW - Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool (Major Competition for him), or Hakeem Adelakun from Scunthorpe or Harvey Barnes on loan from Leicester.

They are the positions I see us strengthening in the summer. And although Jos is keen to bring down the age of the squad, is it essential we bring in some leaders as well having lost our only natural leader, Loovens, in the summer. That's why I'd make James Collins a top target. He's a leader, was adored at West Ham and they were disappointed when he was released. He'll be in demand, but if we're to make one signing on the expensive side, I'd love it to be him. 

Dominic Iorfa will be available from Wolves, on loan or transfer. Tall, strong, quick, imposing defender who can play right back and centre half. Only 23 years old, has experience in the Championship, and would provide a good option to challenge Hunt for the right wing back position. 

Ben Marshall, although a running joke on here, actually suits us more than ever. Can play either side, and comfortable playing wing back, and as a winger. He'll be available for either loan or transfer. 

If we're to play 3-4-3, we need to bring in a midfielder who can genuinely compete in a two man midfield. Joe Williams impressed in a struggling Barnsley side, and will be much better for a tough season in the Championship. He'd give us youthful legs and aggression in the midfield. David Meyler has been released from Hull and is only 28, despite seemingly been around for a long time. Has played consistently in the Premier League, and has won promotion from this division. His aggression and know how could be crucial. Another player who ticks the leadership box. 

The right winger/right wide forward position needs someone who'll challenge and push Joao. Someone with pace and an ability to score goals. This is an ideal position to bring in some young legs, and all three suggestions cover these bases. Harry Wilson is the stand out performer, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got a Premier League loan this season. Adelakun is raw, but reminds me of an Antonio/Bolaise type of player. He could be worth a lot of money in the future. 

Whilst I agree with some of your opinions I don’t on others. James Collins is the type of player we should avoid. Old past his best and not suited to a back 3. We’ve made so many of these signings over the years. Young talent should be prioritised. My preference would be Kalas or Omueru from Chelsea, still young 23/24 but experienced in this league and internationaly.

However your point about Marshall is actually spot on. Can play both wing back positions or as part of a front 3 if needed. Although he isn’t young he’s one I would look at.

Never been a fan of lorfa when I’ve seen him strong and quick but not a good footballer from what I’ve seen. Wilson would be a good signing tho.

I think the priority position is CDM. This is a hard one as there aren’t many about. I liked Lansbury but he’s 28 and not played much football. 

11 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

And yet players insist on wearing Stanley Mathews type shorts.

I think they too should be binned off for short shorts. 

You seem to want a return to Peter Swan style shorts?  Did you find them attractive?

I have a feeling that when the club gave Atdhe a new contract it was a sign that oversized shorts would have to be staying next season.

Difficult to think of realistic targets this summer as we have no idea who Jos is wanting to let go and what Mr Chansiri has decided regarding our spending.

Even last season, Mr Chansiri talked of being close to FFP (S&P) then we spent millions on van Aken. Jos' only piece of business was a bargain basement signing in Pelupessy and he's talked of a different recruitment strategy. Also don't think Mr Chansiri believes promotion is achievable on the cheap. So, transfer wise it's anyone's guess!

Do any of the mooted suitors for Rhodes, have any players that might appeal to us in a swap deal Sometimes a deal like that can be good for all parties, if you have two players who haven’t been a good fit at their respective clubs

23 hours ago, gurujuan said:

A cursory glance at our squad, suggests we probably need, two wing backs, two centre backs and a couple of midfielders 

I’d like to see another quick striker, if we can free up the space

All bar the centre backs, need to be under 25 Pace and energy is key

No.....money is the key.

I'm afraid, IMO, we have already missed one we should have been interested in. 

Box to box, high energy c/m, who can score good goals with either foot or head. Strong and tallish  lad too, 22 years old. Played 36 games last year for  Dundee in SPL, scored 6 goals. Ambitious young man who came to end of his contract with Dundee this summer and wanted to move to England. He has been signed by Evans/Fry at Peterborough Utd, for just a compensation fee due to his age. We all know how Peterborough turn these players into very buyable assets in quick time. Watch this one in the future.

He would have been an ideal signing. Also note , he is already the 4th player signed by Peterborough this close season. ??

3 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

Box to box, high energy c/m, who can score good goals with either foot or head. Strong and tallish  lad too, 22 years old. Played 36 games last year for  Dundee in SPL, scored 6 goals. Ambitious young man who came to end of his contract with Dundee this summer and wanted to move to England. He has been signed by Evans/Fry at Peterborough Utd, for just a compensation fee due to his age. We all know how Peterborough turn these players into very buyable assets in quick time. Watch this one in the future.

He would have been an ideal signing. Also note , he is already the 4th player signed by Peterborough this close season. ??

Cool let us know when he’s got a name and I’ll look out for him 

garymegson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whatahoot said:

Ahh yes, good old fatboy Evans, has never ever signed a quality player... ever. 

His strategy is, sign loads in the hope that eventually it'll come good, hasn't worked at any of his previous jobs.