Realistic transfer targets for next season

4 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Skint as in.......broke or skint as in................we're going to be more careful with how we spend ?

As in technically broke - see our auditors report reported widely on here under Accounts.

Our wage costs are 150% our income.

Doubt it, but if DC does same as Villa 's owner and doesn't send the monthly cheque, we won't be paying bread bill, n'er mind taxman. 

6 hours ago, fred mciver said:

We are skint. Listen to the club / Radio Sheffield / what Watson posts on here.

We'd be lucky to buy Hallam's sub right back.

Or a reject kid from Burnley

We will still out spend your team.

26 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

As in technically broke - see our auditors report reported widely on here under Accounts.

Doubt it, but if DC does same as Villa 's owner and doesn't send the monthly cheque, we won't be paying bread bill, n'er mind taxman. 

Would have put money on you saying that, no surprise really, 

I"ll wait and see what the club/chairman does before posting any doomsday scenario, don't let that stop ya tho eh. 

39 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Lol we aren't broke. We just don't have any FFP wiggle room.

Big difference.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Lol we aren't broke. We just don't have any FFP wiggle room.

Big difference.

Hope you are right.

And I dont think DC will bail out.

Villa-s owner probably caught by new Chinese cash export controls relating to soccer.

Sobering , though.  

1 hour ago, fred mciver said:

Hope you are right.

And I dont think DC will bail out.

Villa-s owner probably caught by new Chinese cash export controls relating to soccer.

Sobering , though.  

I think Xia polled plug himself. Too much of coincidence payments stopped when they did. He knows breaking FFp rules and will get penalty and amount of dent means any more money put in will be lost.

On 04/06/2018 at 22:47, frastheowl said:

CB - Frederico Venancio back for £800k. James Collins on a free from West Ham

RWB - Dominic Iorfa on loan from Wolves

LWB - Josh Morris from Scunthorpe or Ben Marshall on loan from Wolves. 

MC - Joe Williams on loan from Everton or David Meyler on a free from Hull. 

RW - Harry Wilson on loan from Liverpool (Major Competition for him), or Hakeem Adelakun from Scunthorpe or Harvey Barnes on loan from Leicester.

They are the positions I see us strengthening in the summer. And although Jos is keen to bring down the age of the squad, is it essential we bring in some leaders as well having lost our only natural leader, Loovens, in the summer. That's why I'd make James Collins a top target. He's a leader, was adored at West Ham and they were disappointed when he was released. He'll be in demand, but if we're to make one signing on the expensive side, I'd love it to be him. 

Dominic Iorfa will be available from Wolves, on loan or transfer. Tall, strong, quick, imposing defender who can play right back and centre half. Only 23 years old, has experience in the Championship, and would provide a good option to challenge Hunt for the right wing back position. 

Ben Marshall, although a running joke on here, actually suits us more than ever. Can play either side, and comfortable playing wing back, and as a winger. He'll be available for either loan or transfer. 

If we're to play 3-4-3, we need to bring in a midfielder who can genuinely compete in a two man midfield. Joe Williams impressed in a struggling Barnsley side, and will be much better for a tough season in the Championship. He'd give us youthful legs and aggression in the midfield. David Meyler has been released from Hull and is only 28, despite seemingly been around for a long time. Has played consistently in the Premier League, and has won promotion from this division. His aggression and know how could be crucial. Another player who ticks the leadership box. 

The right winger/right wide forward position needs someone who'll challenge and push Joao. Someone with pace and an ability to score goals. This is an ideal position to bring in some young legs, and all three suggestions cover these bases. Harry Wilson is the stand out performer, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got a Premier League loan this season. Adelakun is raw, but reminds me of an Antonio/Bolaise type of player. He could be worth a lot of money in the future. 

If thats the standard of player we are going for kiss goodbye to any hope of top 6

We need 4 players in my opinion tops. Centre half who can play in a 2 or a 3. Wing back who can play on both flanks. Attacking wide attacker with some pace and an all action midfielder with a presence.

The calibre of the player we bring in will be based on if we can offload Rhodes and Abdi and also some of the others who are surplus. 

The use of the loan market will be important and I would hope we go for a couple of premier league youngsters who want to prove a point. If there is any money to spend, I’d like it to be on a centre half who is a leader.

If, as I suspect, we try to do it with loans, we will have to make some room first 

Our squad is too big, and we’ll need to probably ship out twice as many as we bring in Worst case scenario is, we try to mix match what we have already, and that simply won’t work

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We need 4 players in my opinion tops. Centre half who can play in a 2 or a 3. Wing back who can play on both flanks. Attacking wide attacker with some pace and an all action midfielder with a presence.

The calibre of the player we bring in will be based on if we can offload Rhodes and Abdi and also some of the others who are surplus. 

The use of the loan market will be important and I would hope we go for a couple of premier league youngsters who want to prove a point. If there is any money to spend, I’d like it to be on a centre half who is a leader.

Agree with that, but if we aren’t going to play with wingers, and I hope we don’t, then the wide attacker should be someone capable of scoring his fair share of goals, rather than just a provider

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

We're more than good enough for top 6 without any additions.

I agree in principle, the league next season is going to be very open I think, no one stands out and if we have our injured players back stand a decent chance (be like having half a dozen new signings). 

Of course, would like to see some refreshing of the squad and think sales must fund recruitment in the short term to offset the investment made in recent seasons without any notable sales. We already have quality in the side (when fit) and now need to add some pace and energy, much rather this way round than have to fund an injection of quality into the squad and can achieve much of what we need via loans potentially. 

I’m not sure we’re good enough as we are 

Under Jos, we have too many players who are unlikely to fit the way he wants to play It’s not neccesarilly advantageous to have a wide range of players who can play in different systems

Much better to have a way of playing that all the players throughout the club work towards, and know exactly what their roles are Not against tweaking the system, if needed, but several different ways of playing, that probably unrealistic for players at this level

4 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Ben Marshall's on £20 k per week at Wolves, so you can forget that (great though he'd be).

We are not even shopping at Aldi, more Moorfoot market.

I have to concur with you. All your signings will be from Leagues 1 + 2, like they were in January.

• Haha 1

A couple of quality of quality players from the top flight? I'd look at Chelsea's Jay DaSilva who was on loan at Charlton last season, he's currently competeting impressively at the Toulon U21 tournament too. I'd look at players like that with some previous Football League loan experience. 

Plus ideally, if possible, probably depending upon a couple of sales, I'd hope to get Venancio back and to go for the likes of Kyle Bartley and Conor Hourihane too? The key things though is to get more of our experienced players back and fit, along with our key players and our own youngsters. Some of those will be like new signings working with Jos, plus if we can bring in a few quality players to add some pace, physicality and quality, to what we've already got, without breaking the bank that would be exciting.