Sheffield Wednesday manager unveils how he will recruit for next season

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Sure you are right, good point. We'll probably have a target list with lots of English players and a realistic list with some back up players (predominantly from Europe) from which we will no doubt end up shopping from come the second week in July.

I hope all our recruitment is geared towards strengthening the starting eleven 

Fed up with duplicating 

31 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Van Aken  not too fussed about ,Young players from u23 looked better ,Should have looked there before signing him £4 million ,Never worth that.

Think that's harsh on Van Aken TBH. Agree the fee (if accurate as reported, which is sometimes not the case) is high and represents a certain premium for development potential, but he came in at a difficult point when the team was struggling, the defence was all over the place, with no protection from midfield. He had a couple of good games and was starting to find his feet before his injury. 

The problem in hindsight is that at that point we had CC who had no idea what to do with a very successful (in their age group) youth squad and wanted to spend money, eventually importing a player from abroad..

Still a good age, some decent attributes and if we can get him fit for pre-season expect he will provide adequate competition for Pudil (if he stays) and /or Thornily on the left hand side of a back 3. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I hope all our recruitment is geared towards strengthening the starting eleven 

Fed up with duplicating 

Absolutely, we have too many similar players. Think there is value in having players to suit the system and able to cover but we need to address the glaring deficiencies in our first team; pace. power and creativity would be nice.

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

brilliant .........you tell us why we shouldn't have signed Rhodes and in the next sentence tell us that fans on social media don't understand football and should leave it to the professionals .......

its easy after the event.

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

Agree with your post, tho I’m sure Chansiri has already learned that English players are too expensive from his first 3 years in England. Carlos says he wanted to sign Clucas for us, but then they were told the asking price was £10m

Clucas is a great example of where we got it wrong. Performing week in week out at Chetserfield right under our noses, but he wouldn't have been on our radar as we were looking for established players. Hull took a gamble and got the benefits.

Hopefully our recruitment policy has now changed and we can bring in potential, I think Pelupessy is the start of this change in direction.

19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Great news, players like Hirst and Clare will no doubt have a bigger role to play next season, which has to be good news

Don't know yet about Clare, but please, please, please,think. The only use Hirst has for us is THE AMOUNT WE CAN RAISE IN HIS TRANSFER FEE..

His mentor - His Father, the great 'legend' of Hillsborough - told a group of us, almost two years ago, that George 'would not be signing for Wednesday'! Since then, George has had the offer of a contract -(refused)-and an improved contract (also refused) He obviously sees his place as being with a 'bigger' club such as the Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Spurs etc. Since that time, we have seen introduction of Clare, Thorniley and now Martin, but no sign of Hirst even making the bench    .

I think it's time that Owlstalkers faced up to the fact that We do not feature in Hirst's idea of his future, and that he does not feature in our future. Waste of talent, but we shall survive. May I remind you of the fact that Eric Cantona was refused a contract, went on to greatness, and still Wednesday survived.

I think we need to remember that our previous approach, when the squad was fit, did have us on the cusp of promotion. You need that quality and a bit of experience but we lacked aggression (Hutchinson aside), additional leadership at centre half and pace and that is what we still need now.

Carvahals early success with signings like Bannan Forrestieri Wallace Hunt Pudil seemed to convince him and DC that the best model.to follow was experienced fringe Prem players.

We started to get reduced returns when paying higher wages and higher fees for slower older higher profile players with promotion pedegree. Jones Boyd Fletch. Rhodes doesn't quite fit this but it's similar.

They don't have to be current championship players to be future championship players. They do have to be motivated and have at least a bit of pace.

15 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

I know it’s absolutely never gonna happen. But if the Devil’s listening I would sell my soul to see Iniesta in a Wednesday shirt, even at 33 years old. 

More chance of that than of Hirst jnr. playing.

I like his thinking. We couldn’t go far wrong looking at the likes of George Honeyman and Ryan Kent. One brings bags of energy and chips in with goals (akin to Kieran Lee) and the other pace and assists (something sadly lacking). 

They fall into Jos’s mantra of Championship experience and/or U23 PL players who won’t break into their parent club side. Plus both have age and resale value which can’t be said for recruits like Fletcher, Boyd, Wallace, Jones and Pudil in recent  times. 

Just curious, how much do people think we’d have to spend on the likes of Honeyman and Kent? I always love the wide spectrum of values given. For me it would be Honeyman 2 million and Kent 3 million (maybe lower with add ins).

1 hour ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I like his thinking. We couldn’t go far wrong looking at the likes of George Honeyman and Ryan Kent. One brings bags of energy and chips in with goals (akin to Kieran Lee) and the other pace and assists (something sadly lacking). 

They fall into Jos’s mantra of Championship experience and/or U23 PL players who won’t break into their parent club side. Plus both have age and resale value which can’t be said for recruits like Fletcher, Boyd, Wallace, Jones and Pudil in recent  times. 

Just curious, how much do people think we’d have to spend on the likes of Honeyman and Kent? I always love the wide spectrum of values given. For me it would be Honeyman 2 million and Kent 3 million (maybe lower with add ins).

We can borrow better than those two Certainly we shouldn’t be spending money on players like that

Happy with this, was the blueprint for me we needed when DC first took over, not the boom or bust policy of just throwing cash at it wily nilly and getting in former premier players in on big wages, that would have been surplus to requirements if we had been promoted as they had already been deemed no longer good enough by Premier clubs. 

Makes far more sense to try and bring through youth or sign players that will become re saleable assets on a higher value than what we've payed. It does seem the best way forward to me. 

10 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Happy with this, was the blueprint for me we needed when DC first took over, not the boom or bust policy of just throwing cash at it wily nilly and getting in former premier players in on big wages, that would have been surplus to requirements if we had been promoted as they had already been deemed no longer good enough by Premier clubs. 

Makes far more sense to try and bring through youth or sign players that will become re saleable assets on a higher value than what we've payed. It does seem the best way forward to me. 

I agree with that, but will it really happen? A good indication of our intentions would be our ability to offload the likes of Fletcher and Rhodes, and keep the promising Hirst and Clare

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I agree with that, but will it really happen? A good indication of our intentions would be our ability to offload the likes of Fletcher and Rhodes, and keep the promising Hirst and Clare

To keep Hirst the ability needed would have to come from a magic wand or time machine.

Well past the point of no return now.

19 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

I know it’s absolutely never gonna happen. But if the Devil’s listening I would sell my soul to see Iniesta in a Wednesday shirt, even at 33 years old. 

More chance of seeing me in a wednesday shirt ,and im fat and unfit. 

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It's a pity bud, but I think the ship has sailed as far as Hirst & Clare are concerned, so all we can do is learn from past mistakes, take it on the chin and hopefully with Jos liking to bringing home grown talent through not have a repeat with anymore of the talented youngsters we seem to be producing now bud.