Sheffield Wednesday manager unveils how he will recruit for next season

Jos Luhukay Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

#SWFC boss Jos Luhukay has explained how Sheffield Wednesday will recruit players for next season

"I have spoken with the chairman about the future, about our team, the club. We are on speaking terms,"

"We are intensive with that, we must look at what we can do for the future.

"Money is not important, what is important is what you want to do and see what is possible. We are looking for the options we can have, we do what we can and what we can't do. We must try to come to a good team together."

"First we will look at our own club - our academy. For me personally but also for the club and the future very important. "We had Sean Clare, Jordan Thorniley and a lot of young players and also both goalkeepers. Joe (Wildsmith) and Cammy (Dawson) they have been 14 years at the club so you have an identification with the club but also with the fans.

Jos was speaking in todays press conference (full video in a thread on Owlstalk)

"I think it is very important to look in the Championship for typical players - they know the league, they know the culture, they know how to play in the Championship. I think also we must look at the under 23s at bigger clubs in the Premier League - players with a high dynamic, with a high spirit but also maybe in the future need to take a step back and after maybe go a step forward.

"This is the way - first look at our own players in the Academy, then the Championship and maybe under 23s from the Premier League clubs but who maybe don't have a chance for the first team but maybe the Championship is maybe the challenge to go further in their own career."

Looks like we're in for a way more organised approach from now on

Owlstalk Shop

I like it too, but you missed the bit about two players from the under 18s that he mentioned. Has he spotted a Rooney type of teenager that can make it into the first team and make an impact whilst still a teenager?

Edited by mark1948
Typo

I like this approsch. Better to invest in a player based on now and in the future potential, rather than pay top dollar for past reputation.

We need to be patient, won't happen overnight, will still need some of our experienced players to get the right blend and next season likely to be a transitional year. But it is a much more sustainable model of building a promotion challenging team than we've  seen recently 

I think the top end of league one is worth a look too personally. We need an aggressive centre half like Bradley at Plymouth.

Younger players in the wing back roles seems sensible too. 

It will all depend on what is done in terms of sales.

Edited by Bluesteel

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

look in the Championship for typical players - they know the league, they know the culture, they know how to play in the Championship.

Unfortunately this describes Butterfield.

5 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Not sure what he means by "Money is not important,..."

I presume he means we don't have any money for big transfer fees but there are also good players available who won't be expensive.