Is Jos Luhukay the man ?

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
40 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I’m not saying he’s done terribly - I think he’s done a bit better than the stats suggest but only a bit and I’m not convinced that something good is going on - or that it isn’t to be honest. I am slightly bemused by it all - that’s where my whelmometer is. 

Subjective of course but I see meraphorical foundations being built as well as a necessary shoring up operation. The wheels had come off for Carlos' last 7 games with 4 draws and 3 defeats. Jos's last 7 showing 3 draws, 3 losses and a win which is admittedly only marginally better but CC had Lee, Hooper and Bannan available for a few if those games.

It's not so much the results though; for me there is more hope, it's a slow turn but the improving fitness and utilisation of the youngsters is a breath of fresh air to me. The snippets of gossips coming out of the club in Carlos's latter days reinforce for me the belief that had we not replaced him we'd be heading for the drop.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Luhukay had bad situation to deal with to be polite.

Bareboned squad low on confidence, playing poorly.

He shored up our defence, gave debut to large number of untried youngsters, and was largely unlucky with some results since he took over.

For me there are clear signs of improvement, and I hope he will get enough time to prove that he can turn us once again into genuine force at this level.

2 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Couple of points.

At the risk of repeating myself, Millwall are 3rd in the current home form table just behind Fulham & Cardiff and in front of Wolves, Villa & all the others below them. Why do you & seemingly numerous others keep assuming that because it's little Millwall we should have cantered to a 4-0 win even with 14 first team players out. 

In this day & age where facts & figures & stats are available at the touch of a button, why do people post such ill informed drivel without doing us the honour of at least the minimal bit of research. It took me all of 20 seconds to google the "current best home records" to confirm my suspicions that Millwall were not this team just there for the taking & to make the numbers up. 

Before you let the populace know "you are not impressed at all with what you've seen so far" & using the Millwall game as an example for your reasoning, maybe do a bit of background in order to justify it.

The other thing, (and i'm certainly not one to criticise any ex pat fans & maybe leaving myself open here), but your 'location' says Ontario.

When you say  "but I'm definitely not impressed at all with what I've seen so far".  Am I to salute you for commuting to S6 from Ontario every week or are you going on hearsay.  I would also suggest that if you're watching on streams, this doesn't always reflect the actual total reality of being there. (Which I'm sure you're aware of).

I think your summing up of Jos's reign so far is as far apart from the reality of the situation as the distance between S6 & Ontario. 

With appropriate respect:  Absolute bullshit from from start to finish.  Up to and including the suggestion that Millwall, fresh from League One, are somehow sleeping giants of the league.  And it doesn't change the fact that we blew a lead against them and managed a single shot on target with 63% of the possession.

I watch on iFollow and DAZN:  And suggesting that I'm somehow missing the "big picture" when I have the benefit of a wide angle lens and the ability to watch, and re-watch any given passage of play I feel inclined to is a significant benefit to the process.

It's literally the exact opposite of your suggestion:  Those watching in person are more affected by the tunnel vision of their own viewing, and the interference of the spectators around them.  Eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable - but the video tape tells no lies.

Edited by Indoor Owl

8 hours ago, Quist said:

He has been handed a poison chalice and he has done remarkably well. he has identified many problems we have and started to address them. It will take some time to sort them out but given time I am certain he will achieve this and obtain promotion for us.

Agree he has been handed a poison chalice. Most posters highlight fitness and injury mess. Not many have mentioned confidence. The team’s is shot and history proves that confidence is easy to lose (Wengers invincibles after defeat to Man Utd.) but incredibly difficult to get back. 

Even considering all this I cant have it that Jos “has done remarkably well”. It’s a cliche but football is a results game. His results have been poor.

I’m genuinely interested what makes you certain he will obtain promotion based on what you have seen so far?

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, Themagiccap said:

The only slight concern I have so far is that is one signing looks average at best, looks off the pace and doesn't bring the aggression and bite we were lacking. I'd rather have saved our money and played Jones to be fair. 

Know what you mean but suspect there's better to come.

2 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

With appropriate respect:  Absolute bullshit from from start to finish.  Up to and including the suggestion that Millwall, fresh from League One, are somehow sleeping giants of the league.  And it doesn't change the fact that we blew a lead against them and managed a single shot on target with 63% of the possession.

I watch on iFollow and DAZN:  And suggesting that I'm somehow missing the "big picture" when I have the benefit of a wide angle lens and the ability to watch, and re-watch any given passage of play I feel inclined to is a significant benefit to the process.

It's literally the exact opposite of your suggestion:  Those watching in person are more affected by the tunnel vision of their own viewing, and the interference of the spectators around them.  Eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable - but the video tape tells no lies.

Why is it that posters on here think their widely held opinions on a team outweigh the actual facts. 

'With appropriate respect':  regardless of what league Millwall were in last year, the FACTS are, whether you like it or not, that they are 3rd in the current home form table.

Also, & forgive me if I'm talking bullshit again, but weren't the vast majority on here (you included maybe, maybe not) quaking in their boots at the prospect of playing another no mark team "Fresh from league one" earlier in the season.  Maybe they were from a different league one? They certainly weren't in the top 3 form table at the time we played them but everyone's ars*s were caving in prior to that one.

As for watching it on 'tele'. Still not convinced you get a true flavour of any game compared to watching it live and if there's any doubt about something you can re watch it again anyway.

If you're still in doubt you can then take advice from the experts on here, they're never wrong.

5 hours ago, rickygoo said:

His record in the league P8 W1 D4 L3 F7 A10 Pts7 - based on my amateur statistical skills.

Over a season that would be about 40 points.  

If we perform like this over the next 12 games that’ll be about 10 points, taking us to 47. Hopefully enough because other teams are poo. So he’s performing worse than Carlos overall - although it might just be enough at current form levels because of the points Carlos got us.

He’s been dealt a tricky hand and I don’t think he’s doing terribly but let’s not pretend he’s totally transformed things - certainly results wise. Ipswich and Bolton games will be a chance to improve matters. 

And as for playing without a forward.....

I know it's a results business etc....

The fact he's come straight in and got them on a sharp fitness routine will get big brownie points from me...

What are we?...12 weeks from the END of the season.

He may come to nothing but he's doing the basics.

FFS.

Now that DC's selling , according to Neil, he took a big gamble on a short -term manager, again what Jos clearly is.

I can see that he didn't want anymore long -term liabilities, but difficult for a coach new to Championship in such a short , pressure period.

Also, hard to motivate senior players if they know boss and owner are leaving in Summer. 

he's impressed me . I like the way he sets the side up, I like his manner and doesn't seem to make excuses ,with the players he's got at present the best he can hope for is to be competitive and he's done that and just hope he can get enough points to get us over the line ..if he can do that then he deserves a shot at it for next season 

He's not the right man past the summer if we want to be a promotion contending team. We couldn't have found a more left field appointment if we tried. A manager who doesn't know the league, coming in to a struggling club with a load of injuries and having to use untested players, with the whole squad seemingly not fit enough. It smacks of desperation from a clueless owner. 

There were much better options out there who could have steadied the ship and built on it for next season. Fair play to him though for stepping up, he'd been out of work for 18 months so i doubt this will do him any harm at all no matter how we do this season. 

On 25/02/2018 at 16:51, gurujuan said:

It has, but the highest cost of all, came with the Rhodes signing that probably had nothing to do with Carlos That decision, is the reason why Jos has not been able to bring in any much needed reenforcements  Three or four more of his own players, could have made all the difference

I may agree with you that DC has erm too much influence, but we can’t claim Rhodes wasn’t signed by CC for definite. Besides we should have cut our losses in the summer if his presence was too much of a strain on the finances.

43 minutes ago, pussface said:

I may agree with you that DC has erm too much influence, but we can’t claim Rhodes wasn’t signed by CC for definite. Besides we should have cut our losses in the summer if his presence was too much of a strain on the finances.

I don’t believe for one minute, although no we can’t prove it Didn’t DC suggest that Rhodes was brought in because the fans were clamouring for him?

That certainly isn’t very professional from the man at the top Plus the buck really stops with him for sanctioning such a deal, knowing it would take us to the brink of FFP