Is Jos Luhukay the man ?

10 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

I'm a big believer in giving managers a long leash - but I'm not a big believer in Jos at the moment based on what I've seen so far.

People would have had the "OUT!" banners up at every game by now if Carlos pulled half the poo Jos has pulled in his short tenure, injuries or not.

We're already giving Jos a ton of leeway for no results - Can you just imagine the (rightful) reaction here if CC fielded a team with no strikers whilst a healthy Jordan Rhodes didn't even get into the 18?

But for the moment all is forgiven, and people bend over backwards to give him awkward praise for playing youth players in losing efforts... even though they've all looked entirely out of their depth (with the exception of Clare) and we're losing convincingly to the likes of Millwall.

I won't be disappointed if he's still here to start next season, but I'm definitely not impressed at all with what I've seen so far.

Carlos had two seasons of dodgy decisions before the out banners went up.

Rhodes was suffering from a bug hence his none inclusion  according to the press conference.

With the exception of Stobbs at Millwall  (playing a different role than usual) I don't think any of any of the kids have looked out of place whether that be Wildsmith, Dawson,  Thorniley,  Neilsen or O'Grady. 

Mores  to the point he  had little other choice than to select them.

In terms of wins. He's done little better if if at all than Carlos was doing in his last 10 games. In terms of effort, application, drive , desire and willingness to move the ball forward (especially at home) I think we are much improved. 

It'll be always judged on points in the end.

But there's more to it than that.  Last two home home game performances deserved more than the 3 points they have produced.Imo.

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I have me lucid moments mate....plus I drank all the Gin last night when i got in..............................

Fair enough mate... you do know there's a big drive on here for posters to stop being nasty and silly?

And if gin makes you post rational well thought out posts...... I should give it a miss... there's always a half empty bottle of Tia Maria somewhere in the house..

always.

I once had a dreadful run of posting easy to read sensible stuff.... I found a FULL bottle of Harvey's Bristol cream at the back of the airing cupboard and turned the corner ....the rest ..as they say

FFS:tango:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, pussface said:

It looks like that success came at a very high cost.

It has, but the highest cost of all, came with the Rhodes signing that probably had nothing to do with Carlos That decision, is the reason why Jos has not been able to bring in any much needed reenforcements  Three or four more of his own players, could have made all the difference

• Like 1

It's too early to tell, surely? There are good signs and less good signs, and this massive injury crisis hanging over us affects everything. 

I think we probably won't go down this season, and then he deserves a summer transfer window and a shot next season.

1 hour ago, Indoor Owl said:

I'm a big believer in giving managers a long leash - but I'm not a big believer in Jos at the moment based on what I've seen so far.

People would have had the "OUT!" banners up at every game by now if Carlos pulled half the poo Jos has pulled in his short tenure, injuries or not.

We're already giving Jos a ton of leeway for no results - Can you just imagine the (rightful) reaction here if CC fielded a team with no strikers whilst a healthy Jordan Rhodes didn't even get into the 18?

But for the moment all is forgiven, and people bend over backwards to give him awkward praise for playing youth players in losing efforts... even though they've all looked entirely out of their depth (with the exception of Clare) and we're losing convincingly to the likes of Millwall.

I won't be disappointed if he's still here to start next season, but I'm definitely not impressed at all with what I've seen so far

Couple of points.

At the risk of repeating myself, Millwall are 3rd in the current home form table just behind Fulham & Cardiff and in front of Wolves, Villa & all the others below them. Why do you & seemingly numerous others keep assuming that because it's little Millwall we should have cantered to a 4-0 win even with 14 first team players out. 

In this day & age where facts & figures & stats are available at the touch of a button, why do people post such ill informed drivel without doing us the honour of at least the minimal bit of research. It took me all of 20 seconds to google the "current best home records" to confirm my suspicions that Millwall were not this team just there for the taking & to make the numbers up. 

Before you let the populace know "you are not impressed at all with what you've seen so far" & using the Millwall game as an example for your reasoning, maybe do a bit of background in order to justify it.

The other thing, (and i'm certainly not one to criticise any ex pat fans & maybe leaving myself open here), but your 'location' says Ontario.

When you say  "but I'm definitely not impressed at all with what I've seen so far".  Am I to salute you for commuting to S6 from Ontario every week or are you going on hearsay.  I would also suggest that if you're watching on streams, this doesn't always reflect the actual total reality of being there. (Which I'm sure you're aware of).

I think your summing up of Jos's reign so far is as far apart from the reality of the situation as the distance between S6 & Ontario. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Couple of points.

At the risk of repeating myself, Millwall are 3rd in the current home form table just behind Fulham & Cardiff and in front of Wolves, Villa & all the others below them. Why do you & seemingly numerous others keep assuming that because it's little Millwall we should have cantered to a 4-0 win even with 14 first team players out. 

In this day & age where facts & figures & stats are available at the touch of a button, why do people post such ill informed drivel without doing us the honour of at least the minimal bit of research. It took me all of 20 seconds to google the "current best home records" to confirm my suspicions that Millwall were not this team just there for the taking & to make the numbers up. 

Before you let the populace know "you are not impressed at all with what you've seen so far" & using the Millwall game as an example for your reasoning, maybe do a bit of background in order to justify it.

The other thing, (and i'm certainly not one to criticise any ex pat fans & maybe leaving myself open here), but your 'location' says Ontario.

When you say  "but I'm definitely not impressed at all with what I've seen so far".  Am I to salute you for commuting to S6 from Ontario every week or are you going on hearsay.  I would also suggest that if you're watching on streams, this doesn't always reflect the actual total reality of being there. (Which I'm sure you're aware of).

I think your summing up of Jos's reign so far is as far apart from the reality of the situation as the distance between S6 & Ontario. 

See the trouble there Rob....Fans who watch on Telly...or on a stream, actually get a better view than someone on the Kop..its sad but its true...Nowt in front of them ..like a fat bloke or a pylon....Watch replay after replay of iffy decisions..Whereas we sit on the Kop, in the North or south and have the one view in a blinking of an eye...

Its no longer the remit of a fan saying 

"Yea..but did you go".... having the last  say....

Fans who don't come through whatever reason , most times, have a better idea of whats happened than we who attend  do...

The big screen should replay all of them at the ground...but they can't regarding some vital decisions..

If you have actually paid to attend, you should have at least a slight advantage over those.. who for whatever reason  haven't bothered...

Its a bit ridiculous really

13 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

See the trouble there Rob....Fans who watch on Telly...or on a stream, actually get a better view than someone on the Kop..its sad but its true...Nowt in front of them ..like a fat bloke or a pylon....Watch replay after replay of iffy decisions..Whereas we sit on the Kop, in the North or south and have the one view in a blinking of an eye...

Its no longer the remit of a fan saying 

"Yea..but did you go".... having the last  say....

Fans who don't come through whatever reason , most times, have a better idea of whats happened than we who attend  do...

The big screen should replay all of them at the ground...but they can't regarding some vital decisions..

If you have actually paid to attend, you should have at least a slight advantage over those.. who for whatever reason  haven't bothered...

Its a bit ridiculous really

I know what you're saying here Asteener,  but I think it equally works the other way.

People watching on streams see what the camera man follows. Usually the ball. You don't always get to see the much maligned player and latest boo boy victim busting his arris forty yards up the pitch to support an attack just out of shot.

You don't get to see Snodgrass flashing the middle digit at the crowd.

Or their centre half slap our striker in the face 30 seconds after the balls been cleared. 

Swings and roundabouts.

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The real question should be 'Has there ever been a Sheffield Wednesday manager in the entire history of our football club that's been thrown into a worse and more serious situation than poor Jos has?"

Loads.  Take it you've not being going for very long?

Always felt sorry for Len Ashurst.  And we were bottom of division three when Jack Charlton ( AKA Our saviour JC) took the job.

Jos has been left one of the best squads in the Championship.  Just a bit unfortunate that most of them have dicky backs, hips and knees.

Maybe we needed a doctor more than new coach.

His record in the league P8 W1 D4 L3 F7 A10 Pts7 - based on my amateur statistical skills.

Over a season that would be about 40 points.  

If we perform like this over the next 12 games that’ll be about 10 points, taking us to 47. Hopefully enough because other teams are poo. So he’s performing worse than Carlos overall - although it might just be enough at current form levels because of the points Carlos got us.

He’s been dealt a tricky hand and I don’t think he’s doing terribly but let’s not pretend he’s totally transformed things - certainly results wise. Ipswich and Bolton games will be a chance to improve matters. 

And as for playing without a forward.....

1 minute ago, NYowl said:

Jos is showing that managing a football team is not just about picking a team every week regardless of the long term cost.

We are now building for the future and I am a lot more comfortable about this.

His main remit now, is to keep us in the division That should have been his remit when he was appointed Bizarrely, Mr C was still talking about a late run to the play offs

13 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

His record in the league P8 W1 D4 L3 F7 A10 Pts7 - based on my amateur statistical skills.

Over a season that would be about 40 points.  

I think I’m right in saying that of his 8 league games, 5 have been against promotion chasing teams. When he took over the team were bottom of the form table for the previous 10 games, and this season lost to the likes of Bolton and Burton.  So it’s been quite a tough fixture list for a pretty poor team. 

Yes we’ve still had bad results against Brum and Millwall, but i’d say we’ve had some decent results too. Derby, Boro, Cardiff, the pigs.

I would say if we do badly against Ipswich, Bolton, Hull, Sunderland then he’s a questionable appointment. But right now I think he’s doing the best that any other manager could do with what he inherited 

9 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Ricky I know from your previous posts that you have followed the owls as long as I have.

Look back to when we were relegated under big Ron, everyone could see that although we were relegated we had something good going on. Sometimes stats don't refelect the bigger picture.

I’m not saying he’s done terribly - I think he’s done a bit better than the stats suggest but only a bit and I’m not convinced that something good is going on - or that it isn’t to be honest. I am slightly bemused by it all - that’s where my whelmometer is.