Is Jos Luhukay the man ?

To take us forward long term ? I like the guy but just recently some of his decision making has been questionable, Tuesday nights team at millwall then yesterday making no subs even though several players were shattered. Like the fact he has given youth a chance seems we have some good players  coming through especially Clare looks some player. Appreciate we have a very thin squad at present at he is doing what he can but yet stated fitness was an issue but allows players such as Boyd who haven’t played much 90 mins ? Probably has one eye on Tuesdays game but am more interested in being a championship team next season than a decent cup run. Would like to see what he can do with a fully fit 11 before we can actually judge but he we go down I doubt he’ll get that time ? 

He has been handed a poison chalice and he has done remarkably well. he has identified many problems we have and started to address them. It will take some time to sort them out but given time I am certain he will achieve this and obtain promotion for us.

No-one can judge Jos on his time so far here. In some respects we’re playing better football (in the last 3 out of 4 games) than we produced under Carlos in his last 18months. 

& look what he’s working with, with no disrespect intended to the current crop of starters - if Jos had the whole of Carlos’s squad at his disposal physically fit & football ready - only a handful would be pushing for a start.

apart from a couple of times where I’ve not understood his reasoning for decisions - on the whole he’s done well with what he has.......

for me DC not allowing a free transfer here and a loan there before the window closed is much more concerning! 

• Like 1

Can't judge a bloke when two thirds of the squad are out injured, he's come in on a firefighting mission just to see us through to the end of the season. So far he's done okay with what he's had to put up with, as long as he keeps us in this division then we start judging him on what he does next season, after he's recruited and moulded the team into his own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

To take us forward long term ? I like the guy but just recently some of his decision making has been questionable, Tuesday nights team at millwall then yesterday making no subs even though several players were shattered. Like the fact he has given youth a chance seems we have some good players  coming through especially Clare looks some player. Appreciate we have a very thin squad at present at he is doing what he can but yet stated fitness was an issue but allows players such as Boyd who haven’t played much 90 mins ? Probably has one eye on Tuesdays game but am more interested in being a championship team next season than a decent cup run. Would like to see what he can do with a fully fit 11 before we can actually judge but he we go down I doubt he’ll get that time ? 

You ask the question mate and then eloquently provide the answer.

Why speculate (yeah I realise this is a discussion forum), until we can judge him when he has all the players at his disposal. (Which is basically what you are saying).

So far with what he has had to play with I would suggest he has exceeded expectations. People keep quoting the Millwall game, but I highlighted in another post when someone was talking about them as if it was a nailed on walkover, that they are 3rd in the current home form list, above Wolves and Villa and whoever else you care to name except Fulham & Cardiff.  But even allowing for Millwall, he has done pretty well I would say.

I also don't agree that he won't be given the time. 

Even if the unthinkable happened, (which I don't for one minute think will happen), I don't think he would be hung out to dry for what had preceded him. 

He is an expert in getting teams like us up to the next level. He has already shown signs of what could be achieved and I believe (regardless of what so called ITK ers pretend they know), he will be given the opportunity to prove it. 

When he was first mooted, I would say, it was an intriguing choice, but I wondered if the timing was wrong

He seemed just the guy to take us forward in the long term, and he’s already started to address some of the issues that were bugging me Whether by choice, or merely being forced into it, he’s bringing in younger players, and players that can run with the ball Reinstating Joao, was long overdue in my opinion, as he is twice the player than some of the championship journeymen, who had been starting ahead of him Switching Reach to a more central role has been a master stroke 

Some of his other attempts to change the way things are done, like addressing the fitness issues, are again welcome, but are unlikely to have much effect this season

Thats actually my point, I think he could fix a lot of our ills in the longer term, but will he even get that chance We have a horrendous injury list that makes things increasingly difficult, but he hasn’t been able to find the right mix to turn our fortunes around He has had little or no help from the owner, in terms of bringing in reenforcements to help with the injury crisis He did try and get rid of Jordan Rhodes, but wasn’t able to It was all a bit eleventh hour though, but he doesn’t strike me as a wheeler and dealer anyway 

So, I think he could be a very good appointment, if we survive, but I’m not sure he is the man I’d pick to get us out of trouble in the short term

Edited by gurujuan

The defence is fragile and the opposition is scoring for fun but we do look more positive in most games. That's a step in the right direction after the sideways football we had to endure under CC. He's had very little actual training time with the players due to the number of matches being played, once he has a full preseason we will see how good he is at improving team organisation.

We are also bringing through some youngsters who look to have potential, Clare looks a potential star, Thornily has a mistake in him but has potential, the others it's too soon to say. The situation with Hirst is more positive and Pelupessy looks like a good signing at a decent price.

There's a long way to go but there are positive signs Jos could be the man. He needs to get some of our first team players back to steady the ship, ship out the dead wood and strengthen where necessary.

I reckon he gets a free pass for next season if there are signs of positive improvement and we are nicely placed in the top half. Season after he will have had time and transfer windows to 'own' the squad rather than inheriting CC's, that's when I hope we will see what Jos is made of, if he fails it will be time for a change. 

He came in and immediately changed us to 3 at the back, something a lot of people have been saying since the start of the season, all in all that has been a success 

He has given youth a chance and Clare and Thornily have both looked more than capable of holding their own at this level

His only signing has been steady and for £500k could prove to be a bargain. Certainly better than Butterfield.

only negative was the Millwall team selection but if that was to prove a point and get Hirst back in the squad then we can forgive him that

he deserves a full pre season getting the squad fully fit and also bringing some of his own players in

I think that to even speculate on Jos' appointment at this critical time is perhaps just another pump of oxygen into the negative and severely fractured mindset of our fanbase.

TBH I'm more cheesed off with how we, collectively, as Wednesdayites are so bloody prickly and unsettled at the moment. Yes it's natural as this is a chuffing car crash of a season, but we really need to try and look beyond the gloomy and nervous opinions that are so prevalent amongst us at the moment. 

We are overreacting to a very poor refereeing performance yesterday, but we aren't evaluating the fact that we did not put the ball in the onion bag when it mattered; disallowed goal, "bent" ref, John "twattingshitbag"Terry, limp-legged villans, or not. There is no damn conspiracy, just a bloody depressing cloud of negativity that a lot of people are getting sucked into. Stop the bus and get off the bloody thing.

We have got Jos. Jos has a pretty decent career record. Jos has got simply bugger all players to choose from at the moment. Jos is playing some youngsters, they are getting Championship experience. Some very good players are recovering and will be back before end of season. Hopefully we will have big clear out in the summer, a more focused and clearer transfer policy in place. Whether Jos stays or not is really neither here nor there at this present moment in time.

IMHO we should be avoiding this type of debate. It is not a personal "pop" at the OP, as do understand why this may be a current thought pattern, it is just my own opinion of what we shouldn't be getting wrapped up in as fans.

UTO

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

I like the way he's approaching things. If he keeps us up which I think he will he's creating a foundation for the future. I am less pessimistic about our squad than some and with the green shoots emerging from the academy I think that next season could be exciting.

Expect a couple of favourites to be cashed in during the summer though to give Jos some funds to shape his own squad. Some will be upset I'm sure and consequently will judge Jos from a jaundiced perspective but that's par for the course at any club.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

His remit for me was to get us to 50 points. We were never going to start winning every game when he came in.

In fact, what we have learnt since CC left the club is far worse than we thought and will take longer to repair. A combination of some fundamental things are essential for me in the Summer before we judge him:

• Undertake a complete review of the fitness and medical issues we have with the players. He has alluded to these and hopefully he has a plan.
  • Move on players who for some time have not been good enough, whether in or out of contact, if possible.
  • Move on players whose injury record has affected the club's success over the last two/three years. We can't keep relying on players who play a third of the games because they offer something when they play.
  • Bring in players who have the attributes which are needed for the first XI, rather than replicating previous years' 'much of the same'.
  • Have a structured and intense pre-season with training and games aimed at ensuring the players of ready to go rather than looking like they've just met in August and running of of steam after 60 mins.

Big issues to sort for JL and we'll need six to nine months before we see the results.