Is Jos Luhukay the man ?

Doesn't seem to me like bloke who's going to be here a long time.  Irvine came in and initially transformed results and we know what ultimately happened. Jos hasn't - and that's regardless of injuries because if they are the issue and they are no more than bad luck then Carlos shouldn't have been sacked - but if we stay up he's done this season's job. 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Not the right time to be judging the manager. For me he’s done well with what he’s got 

But, and this is crucial, no better than his predecessor over the same amount of games If that continues, likelihood is, we will be relegated

43 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

He is an expert in getting teams like us up to the next level. He has already shown signs of what could be achieved........

His track record alone makes it worthwhile persisting with him.

Putting aside yesterdays result, I saw a lot of positives, and I think a lesser team than Villa would have struggled against us. When you look at the number of shots we had on goal and on target yesterday compared to a few months ago you can see the potential. I was also impressed with the number of players we were getting forward.

I agree that JL has made some baffling decisions, including no subs yesterday. I've said before that if he's still doing that in 6 months time with a fully fit squad then maybe we should be questioning his judgement, but for now I think we need to let him get on with the job as he sees fit to do it.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

He has been handed a poison chalice and he has done remarkably well. he has identified many problems we have and started to address them. It will take some time to sort them out but given time I am certain he will achieve this and obtain promotion for us.

from which league?

though I do agree- hes been given a crock of sh ite and is making the best of it

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

16 players unavailable

Exactly 

It was 11 when he arrived and we all thought that was bad, since then it’s got worse 

A PROPER pre season where the players don’t sunbath and play table tennis in Portugal will do wonders for this talented squad

Providing we don’t go down I really fancy us next year

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s irrelevant, it’s what he does now that will determine whether we avoid the drop or not

You’re not wrong, but this situation is very unique. Perhaps we should have gone for someone in the Warnock mould who has the ability to get the best out of limited resources, and galvanises the club  

Edited by FreshOwl

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

You’re not wrong, but this situation is very unique. Perhaps we should have gone for someone in the Warnock mould who has the ability to get the best out of limited resources, and galvanises the club  

Maybe, in the short term Ironically, I have no reservations about Jos going forward IF we stay up

He's got to have long enough to get his training methods and his tactics to work with the WHOLE squad.

Its more or less taken for granted on here that an amount of the injuries sustained to first team players was because of a long term poor training regime from the last incumbent, .

If thats the case JL needs at least a close season with the team doesn't he?..Or its simply unfair to sit in judgement.

it takes a lot less time to become unfit than it does to drag it back.

Wednesday had a very good championship side all over the place for half an hour yesterday, we ran out of steam, despite the poor refereeing, we just didn't have the same drive second half.

Only Clare, Reach and maybe Hunt looked like they could keep it going.

Fitness?...I dunno....but thats what it seemed like....

It will take time to find out definitively

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The real question should be 'Has there ever been a Sheffield Wednesday manager in the entire history of our football club that's been thrown into a worse and more serious situation than poor Jos has?"

Sir Jack Charlton.

But Jossie reminds me so much of the great man, and as such should be given the time to do the job.

2 hours ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

To take us forward long term ? I like the guy but just recently some of his decision making has been questionable, Tuesday nights team at millwall then yesterday making no subs even though several players were shattered. Like the fact he has given youth a chance seems we have some good players  coming through especially Clare looks some player. Appreciate we have a very thin squad at present at he is doing what he can but yet stated fitness was an issue but allows players such as Boyd who haven’t played much 90 mins ? Probably has one eye on Tuesdays game but am more interested in being a championship team next season than a decent cup run. Would like to see what he can do with a fully fit 11 before we can actually judge but he we go down I doubt he’ll get that time ? 

WTF?.

The thing I like about Jos is that he seems to be aware of the same problems we can see as fans. We've had plenty of managers before who just don't seem to recognise the flaws. We've had post after post after post on here for years talkuing about our lack of natural wingers and pointing out the good a back 3 could do to counter that issue. We've all known we needed a stronger central midfielder and we've all wanted youth to play and we all knew our squad wasn't fit enough. He's come in and in his first game or two seen the problems that somehow seemed to not be seen by Carlos.

In terms of transfer record he's one for one in my book. Pelupessy is getting up to speed and looking like a really good signing. If we class his willingness to play U23 players as signings he's got them all pretty much right so far. I'd trust him with a budget far more than the people that brought us some of the no shows we've seen since Gray

I'm a big believer in giving managers a long leash - but I'm not a big believer in Jos at the moment based on what I've seen so far.

People would have had the "OUT!" banners up at every game by now if Carlos pulled half the poo Jos has pulled in his short tenure, injuries or not.

We're already giving Jos a ton of leeway for no results - Can you just imagine the (rightful) reaction here if CC fielded a team with no strikers whilst a healthy Jordan Rhodes didn't even get into the 18?

But for the moment all is forgiven, and people bend over backwards to give him awkward praise for playing youth players in losing efforts... even though they've all looked entirely out of their depth (with the exception of Clare) and we're losing convincingly to the likes of Millwall.

I won't be disappointed if he's still here to start next season, but I'm definitely not impressed at all with what I've seen so far.

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

He's got to have long enough to get his training methods and his tactics to work with the WHOLE squad.

Its more or less taken for granted on here that an amount of the injuries sustained to first team players was because of a long term poor training regime from the last incumbent, .

If thats the case JL needs at least a close season with the team doesn't he?..Or its simply unfair to sit in judgement.

it takes a lot less time to become unfit than it does to drag it back.

Wednesday had a very good championship side all over the place for half an hour yesterday, we ran out of steam, despite the poor refereeing, we just didn't have the same drive second half.

Only Clare, Reach and maybe Hunt looked like they could keep it going.

Fitness?...I dunno....but thats what it seemed like....

It will take time to find out definitively

That's remarkably sensible and unfunny for you Andy...

Have you been on a course?

FFS.

• Haha 2